DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Mar 19, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #1,771 of 2,125
I think for the most analogue sound the Hifiman 802 would be the strongest contender, and they are very cheap second hand. I haven't tried it myself though. I've heard it also has a very prominent lower end if you still like bass :)

I think the Lotoo Paw Gold should be one of the best sounding daps available, definitely better than the 901. But they are indeed pricey even second hand. You can get a 901 for around $600 with a good card I think. But it doesn't have a large stage per se, although it is not small either. It does have sufficient power. But I might recommend a second hand P1 over it, just based on usability.

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #1,773 of 2,125
Yes, "smooth and slightly warm without losing detail" is quite right, the closer it gets to cassettes but mostly classic tape sound is the best as I would like to listen to the best quality - in a way mimicking high end walkmans - as possible. The LPG is a bit too pricey but the P1-Hm-802 price range might be just OK.

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #1,774 of 2,125
As much as I still love my 901 sound I hardly ever recommend the hifiman (or lotoo, questyle etc) DAPs to my friends. The DAP market had really evolved and it is really harder to recommend DAPs with limted features and primitive UIs to anyone except the most hardcore and experienced portable audiophile who know exactly what they want in SQ and don't care about anything else.

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #1,776 of 2,125
I see the point, and portability is quite important (not the most of course) - for me, SQ matters the most. It would not be bad if I could control it from my pocket/bag Iif I could as well, but I would like a dap that mostly has stellar SQ in the given price range ($700-900). I have a very nice earbud, the Aiwa HP-V99 amongst some other nice stuff, and I'd like a proper companion that can match it's outsanding features and can help the V99s to produce it's huge sound.

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #1,778 of 2,125

I tried the AK380cu briefly today. I didn't compares side by side with the 380,but those who are saying the different is huge are, as always, exaggerating quite a bit. It is a great sounding player of course, but like other AK players, when compared to the Lotoo Paw Gold, stage is more focused on reproducing width than depth.

Besides I find the case quite ugly, and it is quite crazy to sell a player that changes color so fast, especially at 4k.

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #1,779 of 2,125
As much as I still love my 901 sound I hardly ever recommend the hifiman (or lotoo, questyle etc) DAPs to my friends. The DAP market had really evolved and it is really harder to recommend DAPs with limted features and primitive UIs to anyone except the most hardcore and experienced portable audiophile who know exactly what they want in SQ and don't care about anything else.

Agree with you, kkcc. Hifiman DAPs are for the hardcore. I will readily confess to being one... :speak_no_evil:

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #1,781 of 2,125
just get the cowon-d slap on it a 5tx amp and u r done, analogue all the way, this stack is so small with huge sound

take it from an ak380 and amp owner

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,783 of 2,125
  Thanks :) I guess below 40 OHMs impednce I don't even need the amp.

that amp is not because the cowon d lacks in power, its just to give that amazing soundstage and bass and treble control that the 5tx can add to the whole package, honestly if i went back in time that is the only thing i would have bought and the also mojo

also with the 5tx u can power full size heapdhones if u like as well

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #1,785 of 2,125
The most "analog"-sounding DAP I'd agree is either the old 901 with the balanced card, or the Soundaware M1 Analog version. There is also the M1 Pro which people who've heard both reckon has more detail, but I've yet to try that one. Both have at one time or another made me enjoy listening, despite the limited UI of each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back