Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Sep 4, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #2,266 of 2,594
Another thing I can wholeheartedly recommend is the xDuoo XD05 Pro. It is battery powered (13600 mAh) but can also be powered from an external supply. It can work as a USB/SPDIF DAC/amp, BT DAC/amp and amplifier only (4.4mm input). It has great clean sound. If you are into that, it has replaceable opamps for amplifier tweaking the sound (comes with a second set of opamps), even replaceable DAC modules (which for me is a gimmick). It comes with a full box of stuff you might need and a clean, transparent sound. I can highly recommend.

1693834567666.png

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #2,267 of 2,594
I would like to add another word to Mitch filters for the Expanse.
My initial impression was very positive, but after more listening I came to conclusion that I like what it is doing for the lower registers.

On the other hand upper midrange/lower treble area - more or less where the vocals are placed aka ear gain my initial impression has changed a bit.
With harsher recordings I like the effect, it's easier to listen especially at higher levels.
It changes when the recording has no issues with sibilants, spatial effects are a bit compromised - it's not a big change but definitely not something I would like to have with every recording.
So it's highly recording dependent which version of Expanse (Mitch or stock) I prefer.

Sep 11, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #2,268 of 2,594
Hi Everone,
would be fantastic to get views from the forum on what is reccomended as an amp and a dac or a dac/amp under $4000, $3000,& $2000. maybe a top 2 or 3 in each range.
a separate reccomendation for tubes too would be so helpful. I have been searching the forums for a couple of months but there’s so much here and to cross check with more deeper dive reviews and would really find a ranking helpful.
I would like a slightly more airy, more pronounced treble sound than currently possible thru my current collection.

Sep 11, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #2,269 of 2,594
Hi Everone,
would be fantastic to get views from the forum on what is reccomended as an amp and a dac or a dac/amp under $4000, $3000,& $2000. maybe a top 2 or 3 in each range.
a separate reccomendation for tubes too would be so helpful. I have been searching the forums for a couple of months but there’s so much here and to cross check with more deeper dive reviews and would really find a ranking helpful.
I would like a slightly more airy, more pronounced treble sound than currently possible thru my current collection.
Chord TT2 & RME ADI-2 are good dac/amps with Expanse.

As a stack I would recommend the Holo Spring 3 + Holo Bliss or maybe Ferrum Oor since it's quite cheap on the used market. I myself love my HPA4.

In this price range you should go straight for your endgame imo.
I don't think you'll get a ranking since at this price level everything is good and things turn very subjective.

Sep 11, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #2,270 of 2,594
I would consider tt2 or adi2 a baseline for these cans to sound correct and fulfilled.

Ferrum stack and Holo stack are better, TT2 feeding Enleum 23R, or better yet Zahl HM1 are best sounding SS paired with these.

For tubes Ampsandsound Nautilous is my choice, anything less is obviously less imo.

Sep 11, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #2,272 of 2,594
Chord TT2 & RME ADI-2 are good dac/amps with Expanse.

As a stack I would recommend the Holo Spring 3 + Holo Bliss or maybe Ferrum Oor since it's quite cheap on the used market. I myself love my HPA4.

In this price range you should go straight for your endgame imo.
thank you. which ferrum stack would you reccomend? also orr or erco?
the others are out of my budget (capped at $4000).

(i have a rme-adi-2)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #2,273 of 2,594

(i have a rme-adi-2)
I found that adding an Oor or equivalent to the RME is not really worth 2000€, unless you use HQPlayer and want to run it in DSD direct mode.

I suggest saving up for either Ferrum Wandla + Oor or Holo Spring 3 + Bliss.
(Disclaimer I haven't heard Wandla just very good things about it)

Especially in this price segment it would be advisable to go to a dealer for a demo or a meetup or even CanJam and listen!

Nobody can tell you what your ears like. I know quite a few head-fi'ers that after listening to everything decided to stick with an RME unit.

Sep 12, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #2,274 of 2,594
After a long time of debating about a dac that would do justice to expanse, I decided to go for crane song solaris
The Solaris is a rather ugly studio converter, but in terms of technical performance it has almost no competitor, especially at its price.
Even though it's studio, its sound is not boring, and it also has an excellent headphone output,
It will be used for me both to connect with oor+hypsos and as an independent amplifier,
and in addition this will be used for the neuman kh120 monitors,
It is very hard to get hold of now as its designer Dave Hill has sadly passed away,
But I managed to get my hands on one device,
I have now received it and hope to share impressions soon.

Sep 12, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #2,275 of 2,594

(i have a rme-adi-2)
OOR stack used can be had for a steal, and it is noticeably above ADI-2

Sep 12, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #2,276 of 2,594
OOR stack used can be had for a steal, and it is noticeably above ADI-2
thank you. what is a steal price (general idea)?

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #2,277 of 2,594
Hi Everone,
My absolute best recommendation would be RME ADI-2 Pro SE, and you don't need anything extra. It has more than enough power, loudness functionality, excellent professional level PEQ that allows you to tune any sound signature you like in addition to basic bass and treble, you can control these over a remote control and a PC application to control everything from an application is on the way, can drive two HPs in parallel with independent volume levels, excellent techical specifications - and I don't know any other single HP DAC/amp that can do half of the things it can.

Most of the people that use ADI-2 is sadly not touching the DSP at all and I don't really understand why.

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #2,278 of 2,594
My absolute best recommendation would be RME ADI-2 Pro SE, and you don't need anything extra. It has more than enough power, loudness functionality, excellent professional level PEQ that allows you to tune any sound signature you like in addition to basic bass and treble, you can control these over a remote control and a PC application to control everything from an application is on the way, can drive two HPs in parallel with independent volume levels, excellent techical specifications - and I don't know any other single HP DAC/amp that can do half of the things it can.

Most of the people that use ADI-2 is sadly not touching the DSP at all and I don't really understand why.
Hi DarginMahkum,
thank you for your message. the Pro SE has "Max power @ 0.001% THD: 4 W per channel  Channel separation: > 130 dB @ 1 kHz" and on these forums I've read a few times that it needs ideally > 4 W for more headroom.

with the new software update I am finally able to use the PEQ settings using my Mac (it's too hard otherwise using the device) and begun to play with it but still learning how to. if you have the Expanse settings you use with your expanse can I request you to please share them with me.

owning an ADI 2 would you still recommend the ProSE?

thanks so much.

Sep 13, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #2,279 of 2,594

According to this review, there is hardly a noticeable difference between the two (ADI 2 Pro Anniversary Edition): https://headfonics.com/rme-adi-2-dac-review/2/

How does the sound of the two devices compare? Now, I can make this short because, seriously, I tried and tried but couldn’t tell the difference in a real field test. Apart from paper, both devices sound similar.
Not sure if this extrapolates the same to the Pro SE version. I could imagine the difference between an AKM (old version) or ESS DAC (new version) to be larger in sound difference; though on the ADI forum people say with the same DSP filters they sound similar.

Sep 13, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #2,280 of 2,594
Hi DarginMahkum,
thank you for your message. the Pro SE has "Max power @ 0.001% THD: 4 W per channel  Channel separation: > 130 dB @ 1 kHz" and on these forums I've read a few times that it needs ideally > 4 W for more headroom.
This is unfortunately one of the critics I have these forums. I find the >4W "requirement" an overly exaggerated value. To tell you the truth, I tested the Stealth with a Mojo2 which delivers only 0.6W via single ended output and it was excellent. The recommendation from Dan is 1W+.
with the new software update I am finally able to use the PEQ settings using my Mac (it's too hard otherwise using the device) and begun to play with it but still learning how to. if you have the Expanse settings you use with your expanse can I request you to please share them with me.
Frankly, Expanse is one HP that I rarely need to EQ, and if I EQ it rarely has to do with Expanse but rather with the recording. But for basic bass and treble adjustments, I would rather just skip the PEQ and use the basic Bass / Treble adjustments which you can change from the remote control. Otherwise, I sometimes tune it closer to Stealth - Dan posted some EQ settings for that here.
I still have the ADI-2 DAC and also the Pro SE. I personally don't think it is necessary, but if you like you can add a more powerful amp, and for that you don't need to spend thousands, really. You can buy a very transparent, colorless amplifier from Topping, SMSL etc. and tune according to the signature you like. But before adding anything else, Pro SE or another amplifier, I would recommend using the features of the ADI-2 to find out what it is you like and you don't fully like.
Not sure if this extrapolates the same to the Pro SE version. I could imagine the difference between an AKM (old version) or ESS DAC (new version) to be larger in sound difference; though on the ADI forum people say with the same DSP filters they sound similar.
No difference related to the DAC chip. You can check my post here and also the YT video from RME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back