Dallas, TX - "Deux for 2012", a not-quite-as-mini meet - Sunday, October 14th
Aug 30, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #16 of 163
I have modified Fostex T50RP's (the Mad Dogs from Mr Speakers) and AKG Q701's with a Zu cable upgrade.  I've also got a Schiit Asgard for amplification if it's needed and will likely be another purchase or two for my home use.  I also have access to some older Koss electrostats (ESP-9s I think).  Let me know if anything sounds interesting. 

Also, I could certainly make some cables for the meet if anyone would like to try some different RCA's out.

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #17 of 163
Saw a Texas meet in MorbidToaster's signature and here I am. Hi all! Am very new to Dallas area, just moved here about 2 months ago for work and would love to attend.

However, it might conflict with a wedding (at which I'm best man for, so skipping out is not possible) that is set for October 13th, so am a tentative yes at best.  

If you can't attend don't feel too bad. We'll have the Austin one in March next year as well. Added you to the list and am glad to hear my signature bombs work.

I have modified Fostex T50RP's (the Mad Dogs from Mr Speakers) and AKG Q701's with a Zu cable upgrade.  I've also got a Schiit Asgard for amplification if it's needed and will likely be another purchase or two for my home use.  I also have access to some older Koss electrostats (ESP-9s I think).  Let me know if anything sounds interesting. 

Also, I could certainly make some cables for the meet if anyone would like to try some different RCA's out.

Cables would be great. I've been needing to try new ones. Gonna ask Bryan Kurts to borrow some Jena cabkes for the meet too.

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #18 of 163
I'll be there! Promise I won't forget this time.

Let me know if I need to bring anything / will probably bring the headphones regardless (Grado SR-225 w/TTVJ flats, Grado RS-1 w/bowls), but if amp (MAD Ear) and dac (Schiit Bifrost) aren't needed, bonus!

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #19 of 163
Quote:
I'll be there! Promise I won't forget this time.

Let me know if I need to bring anything / will probably bring the headphones regardless (Grado SR-225 w/TTVJ flats, Grado RS-1 w/bowls), but if amp (MAD Ear) and dac (Schiit Bifrost) aren't needed, bonus!

Yeah, you had better show, ya bastage. :p

Leave the Mapletree. Mine will be here all day. But bring the Grados... would be interesting to compare 225/225i flats/bowls. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #20 of 163
Quote:
That is true...But speakers tend to be easier to get deal like this...

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/focal-jm-lab-mezzo-utopia-speakers--2

Basically I could've had 17k speakers for the same price as my 009. :D

Oh man, I can probably walk over to this guys house from my place for an audition.  Is it worth going?  I know nothing about speaker setups, but I've been thinking about jumping in.  Is this considered a great deal?

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #21 of 163
I've heard some of their stuff and it sounded good, but I haven't heard any speaker MSRPed around that price. I'd see if he'll audition them for you.

If I could do speakers I'd do it, honestly. 

Quote:

Oh man, I can probably walk over to this guys house from my place for an audition.  Is it worth going?  I know nothing about speaker setups, but I've been thinking about jumping in.  Is this considered a great deal?

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #22 of 163

I wouldn't jump into a five-figure setup if this is a first-time foray into speakerville. Listen to some electrostats, planars, SET high efficiency horns, and whatever else you can find in the exotic segment before deciding which direction to go. The annual Rocky Mountain Audio Fest is "the" place to hear speakers at this level. Though if the guy will give you a free demo I say go for it... just don't buy the first pair you hear. :wink:

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #23 of 163
While I tend to agree you've got to start somewhere. :D Stats and Planars are must tries, but when a decent deal hits you in the face (I really wanted to get a pair of Dynaudios that was on the local Gon recently) I'd try it if you like it. 

This is of course if you have some sort of decent amp to push them with already. This investment could easily hit 10k if you invest in a nice amp. 

I myself have some random speaker equipment around here to test with but not all others have that option.

Quote:
I wouldn't jump into a five-figure setup if this is a first-time foray into speakerville. Listen to some electrostats, planars, SET high efficiency horns, and whatever else you can find in the exotic segment before deciding which direction to go. The annual Rocky Mountain Audio Fest is "the" place to hear speakers at this level. Though if the guy will give you a free demo I say go for it... just don't buy the first pair you hear.
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #24 of 163
I equate dynamic loudspeakers, that fire directly into the room, with closed headphones.

Stat and planar loudspeakers are like open headphones that fire into the ear and away from the ear, hence the bigger soundstage.

It's the difference between direct radiators and bi-polars, di-polars and omni directionals.

If you prefer lighting the whole end of the room up with speakers that emphasize images and staging, then you're an open headphone kind of person.

That's why I have rarely owned direct radiators when price is not a considration.  But, hey, directs are cheaper except for the big boys.  At a certain price point, you can make a choice between the big towers and the stats and planars.

I know where I stand. 
smile.gif

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #25 of 163
I'll be there with the Ayon - LL - HE60.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #28 of 163
Okay this is a little weird. That's the exact rig I had when I first started really diving into head-fi. 

First DAC/Amp was the D100, first really nice can...D7000. I've now moved to the 009 + LL. It's going to be fun comparing then and now. 

Quote:
Nice, I have a Yulong D100 along with my Denon D7ks that I can bring along. Also, I have a pair of Triple.Fi 10's recabled w/ a  chris_himself cable. (http://chrishimselfaudio.blogspot.com/) Should be a fun event =) Also, I have a Fiio E11 to go along with my triple fis! 

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #29 of 163
I didn't realize that this is the same weekend as RMAF.  I don't think I get back from Denver until about 7 or so on the 14th.  If anyone is still interested in trying out some cables, I can lend or donate one to the cause.

Aug 31, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #30 of 163
Wow. We're awful at picking dates. RMAF for this one, and March's meet dropped on the first weekend of SXSW. lol

Quote:
I didn't realize that this is the same weekend as RMAF.  I don't think I get back from Denver until about 7 or so on the 14th.  If anyone is still interested in trying out some cables, I can lend or donate one to the cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back