DAC1 + 2*(Grace901) + HD650 = Great Fun!
Apr 9, 2006 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

gerG

Headphoneus Supremus
It has taken a while, but I finally got a better source for my balanced Grace setup.

gracedacgrace.jpg

Listening impressions so far: hey, this really...holy snit!

Further bullitens as time permits.

gerG

Apr 9, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 49
NICE! Must sound marvelous. Sure looks nice!

Apr 9, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 49
What? No DEQ2496 equalizer???
tongue.gif

Looking forward to a more detailed writeup, G.

Apr 9, 2006 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 49
That's interesting. I can see if you like the sound of DAC1 and m901 how it'd be cool. For me I don't like either so it's a double negative.
eek.gif

Is this really balanced? Did you rewire the inside of the Grace?

Apr 9, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 49
Ian, there's no need to rewire the Grace to use it in balanced configuration. Just output the balanced right channel to one Grace amp and the balanced left channel to the other Grace amp. But, how do you keep the left-right channels at equal volume? Are you using the Dac-1 for volume control?

Apr 9, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 49
Hello Hello
biggrin.gif

That takes care of balanced input but what about balanced output? I believe the term balanced headphone retermination here on head-fi mostly means balanced output drive.

Apr 9, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #10 of 49
that's some serious chedda there. Nice set up/

Apr 9, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
That takes care of balanced input but what about balanced output? I believe the term balanced headphone retermination here on head-fi mostly means balanced output drive.

i'm confused, too. if each Grace is just doing the normal thing, only applying it to one driver instead of both, i don't see how it could be much of a benefit, other than taking advantage of the noise resistance inherent in balanced inputs and not having both transducers returning to ground.

Apr 9, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #12 of 49
Heh, even if it doesn't have the true balanced output to the cans, you've got to admire the beauty/madness of the thing.

Hmm. I need to find another m902.
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Apr 9, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #13 of 49
Ian Ian
icon10.gif

One way of connecting the dac-1 to 2 graces for balanced drive:

dac-1 out -> left xlr + -> left rca -> in grace #1
dac-1 out -> left xlr - -> right rca -> in grace #1
dac-1 out -> right xlr + -> left rca -> in grace #2
dac-1 out -> right xlr - -> right rca -> in grace #2

So, you need two y-cables, xlr-female split to two femal rca. Persumably, the ground on the split rca is shared.

And, the headphone cable needs to be terminated with two 1/4 inch 'stereo' jacks (One jack per left/right channel).

So, instead of one grace having stereo, i.e. two channels which are left/right, think of one grace as having two channels +/-.

Apr 9, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #15 of 49
Hello and Dreamer got it right. It is balanced front to back. Here is the original thread with pics of the cabling in the original setup. jpelg remembered it, well done.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94795

The headphone cable is an Oehlbach rewired with a TRS plug for each channel, wired in conventional balanced configuration. The Oehlbach is shielded, so I did use that option on the plug.

The most greatest thing about this approach is that nothing is permanent. If I want the Sens back in single ended mode I just plug in a different cable. Likewise I can take the balanced signal cables off and have 3 conventional amps again. Like I said, lots of fun.

EDIT: doh! I goofed up the link somehow. All spliced and better now. Sorry 'bout that.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back