Dac for Computer [Sparrow, Fun, Zero]
May 7, 2010 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Zoltan99

Head-Fier
Upon asking for questions about the Xonar it was brought up to me that the audio-gd brand was quite good, after my doubts of the Dac.  I will mainly be using Dac for computer audio.  Watching Movies and TV, as well as listening to lossless music.  I may play a few games, but rarely.  So far its either one of the Xonar models, the Audio-GD Sparrow Basic USB or Fun Basic, or the Zero Dac 09.  

I mainly watch action movies and westerns.  I listen to rock/metal/metalcore/indie music and when I do game its a shooter.  The Zero seems to be the cheapest, but I read that it sounds like a tube amp which may be bad for my tastes. 

May 7, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 38
Sorry not to be irelevant but I had to comment.

I love the new avatar system.  We got a new guy to headfi and my first reaction is he is an HD800 owner because of the avatar.  Way to implement more subtle advertising,
mad.gif
  This new head-fi is just horrendous.

May 7, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 38
From what I have read,

The sparrow is sonically the same as the Fun, just with less options.

The Zero I wouldn't even consider anymore now that the sparrow is out.

May 10, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #5 of 38
Yes Sparrow does not cost more than Zero but with better components and workmanship. Basic version is cheaper than A version by less than hundred dollars but built with inferior components, so might as well go for version A to avoid any regret later on.

Both FUN and Sparrow are classified as neutral DAC by Audio-GD (as opposed to musical DAC) and FUN gives good dynamic range according to my experience (I own FUN version A). Since sonic signature between FUN and Sparrow are quite close, I suppose Sparrow meet your need and budget easily.

If you intend to use separated headphone amplifier (in order to avoid conflicting volume settings between speakers and headphone), dedicated DAC with multiple outputs (but without headphone output) will be more suitable and cost effective. I am using Cambridge Audio's DacMagic DAC (multiple inputs/outputs) for 27" iMac and digital radio on my desk.

May 10, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 38
It's not that the components are necessarily inferior in the Basic version, mainly cheaper for Kingwa to get. He has stated that the SQ is pretty close for both versions. Getting the better DAC or ACSS module is better money spent IMO.

May 10, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:
It's not that the components are necessarily inferior in the Basic version, mainly cheaper for Kingwa to get. He has stated that the SQ is pretty close for both versions. Getting the better DAC or ACSS module is better money spent IMO.

I only see one option for the ACSS module, and is the wolfson 8740 necessarily better? kingwa makes it seem as if it is just a different flavor.

May 10, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 38
I am referring to the Sparrow- you can add an ACSS module (I think, I don't understand the grid he has very well). You're right, the DAC is probably just a different sound. Some of the other modules might be worth it. Send Kingwa an email and ask his opinion what the best bang for the buck is.
My point is that the caps/resistors won't provide a dramatic difference in SQ according to Kingwa.

May 11, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #9 of 38
doesn't the Basic Sparrow already include ACSS?

May 11, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #10 of 38
I wanted to buy the opamp upgraded zero dac. Now the sparrow has been released, and i have a lot of confusion in my mind ^^. Since they say the fun and sparrow have same sound type, how would you compare the zero dac to the fun, sound quality wise? Also, do you think that the sparrow would let me hear the full dynamics of a grand piano with these specs http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/pre/Sparrow/Sparrow1.htm ? I mainly use the headphones to play my digital piano, and i want the dynamics (or max spl) to be like a grand piano. The headphones will be the akg k701.
I wanted to get the zero dac also because it has rca outputs, so i can also connect my cheap monitors to it, but with the sparrow it would be problematic (have to swap cables, and can't use the together).
Still, i repeat, if the sparrow (or fun) is much better quality wise than the upgraded zero dac, i'll get it.
Btw, doesn't the sparrow work with opamps? I don't see any opamps except the ones for DC servo, wich they say don't need to be replaced.

May 11, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #15 of 38
Upon asking for questions about the Xonar it was brought up to me that the audio-gd brand was quite good, after my doubts of the Dac.  I will mainly be using Dac for computer audio.  Watching Movies and TV, as well as listening to lossless music.  I may play a few games, but rarely.  So far its either one of the Xonar models, the Audio-GD Sparrow Basic USB or Fun Basic, or the Zero Dac 09.  

I mainly watch action movies and westerns.  I listen to rock/metal/metalcore/indie music and when I do game its a shooter.  The Zero seems to be the cheapest, but I read that it sounds like a tube amp which may be bad for my tastes. 

The FUN and Sparrow (which are the same sonically) are the successor to the Compass, which was Audio-GD's like-a-fully-upgraded-Zero-but-higher-quality. I'd recommend an Audio-GD product over the Zero any day of the week. As for the FUN and Sparrow, the main difference appears to be footprint & flexibility. The FUN can be used as a stand-alone DAC or amp (there's an line-in and a DAC out, so you can use one or the other if that's where your upgrade path takes you), whereas the Sparrow can only be used for combined DAC/amp stuff, which kind of limits it IMHO.

You didn't mention what sort of amp you might be routing this DAC into. If you're looking for a combined DAC/amp, I'd recommend the FUN hands-down. However, if you have an amp already and are looking for a stand-alone DAC, you might consider something like a Musical Fidelity V-DAC (which sounds *way* better than the Compass did, and probably than the FUN does, and would be in the same price range).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back