DAC for around 1500$ to match my HD800
May 20, 2011 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

dadab12

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I just got the HD800 yesterday! so far it's exactly what I wished for in terms of sound signature. i'm really pleased!
as for the refinement that could be made, it's debatable.
I currently have the SPL Auditor as an amp SE and the focusrite saffire 24DSP as a soundcard and a dac, the question is, what do I upgrade first in that chain of components? my guess is the dac eventhough I've heard the HD800 sounds excellent balanced with a tube amplifier.
I guess what I'm I asking here 1st is whether I should upgrade the dac or add another amp to match the HD800, I'll be hopefully running the HD800 Balanced in the near future but I'm looking for an immediate and noticeable upgrade right now and I have no clue to what to look 1st, though it has to be balanced atleast to be futureproofed. on a side note, I don't find the HD800 too bright nor have treble peaks I've heard off, it's not hurting my ear in any way like people has been talking about here, maybe it's the newer models or specifically the amp i'm using..
I was looking at the Bel Canto Dac 3, Perfect wave, and I have no idea what ooptions I have, though I've heard good things about the Wyred4sound I'm really not into the design which is an important part for me.

Thank you very much

May 20, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 63
If you're looking at both the DAC and an amp, be sure to consider this:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/burson5/1.html

- As a headphone amp "clearly beat" the $2.5K Antelope Zodiac+
- As a (LCD-2) headphone amp, was chosen over a custom modded $4K Woo

- As a DAC, was preferred over the $3.5K Weiss DAC2

- Outperformed a €4.5K CD via the $10K Esoteric pre-amp in certain aspects

- Outperformed a €10K Lektor Prime in certain aspects

(Pasted from the 160D thread) :¬)

May 20, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 63
Thanks, but it looks too bulky for my tastes, it's built like a tank!
but you guys think I should upgrade the dac or buy a balanced tube amp like the WA22? what's the 1st upgrade of that chain?

May 20, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 63
You may want to listen to a high end dac before you buy one, because sadly in reality you are very unlikely to be able to differentiate a $300 dac and a $1500 in a blind test.
I suggest you look at an emu 1616 as these have balanced output, can perform many other functions and are one of the best measuring dac's I've ever seen.

May 20, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 63
I say find the DAC you like first.  The DAC is your source.  That's what you're listening to.  If you don't like the sonic signature of your source, then you're evaluating the rest of your chain based on the other components' abilities to color the presentation you don't like from your source into something that maybe you do like.  Instead, focus on finding a DAC that you like, then build a system around it based on pieces that accentuate what you like, rather than trying to mask what you don't like.

Not that I've always followed that advice, but do as I say, not as I do....

May 20, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 63
Quote:
You may want to listen to a high end dac before you buy one, because sadly in reality you are very unlikely to be able to differentiate a $300 dac and a $1500 in a blind test.

popcorn.gif

May 20, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 63

Quote:
I say find the DAC you like first.  The DAC is your source.  That's what you're listening to.  If you don't like the sonic signature of your source, then you're evaluating the rest of your chain based on the other components' abilities to color the presentation you don't like from your source into something that maybe you do like.  Instead, focus on finding a DAC that you like, then build a system around it based on pieces that accentuate what you like, rather than trying to mask what you don't like.

Not that I've always followed that advice, but do as I say, not as I do....

Solid advice.

May 21, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #15 of 63
I'm sorta in the same boat as you, but I don't really need an amp.  I'm looking at upgrading my dedicated DAC, at approximately the $1500 price range.  Of course, not all the items I've looked into are exactly $1500, but somewhere within the ballpark.

Things I've been looking into:
Audio-gd Reference 5
Audio-gd Reference 7.1
Audio-gd NFB-7
Bel Canto DAC 1.5
Electrocompaniet ECD-1
Lavry DA11
North Star 192 MkII
Grace m903
Cary Xciter
M2Tech Evo
M2Tech Young
Calyx
Red Wine Audio Isabellina (tube, 16-bit)
Monarchy NM24 (tube)
MHDT Havana (tube, 16/96)

To be honest, I'm leaning towards the Calyx.  It supports 24/192, asynchronous USB, has both balanced and unbalanced outputs, and uses a Sabre32 ES9018 chip.  I'd probably use it with a Kingrex PSU MkII.  The only problem is that nobody seems to own one, and nobody's reported hearing one, so it'd be a blind buy.  I don't know if I have the stones to drop 1.5G on something for which no impressions exist.  The Xciter also seems like a pretty damn good option in the price range.  I'd prefer to keep my DAC solid-state, so though I have looked into the Isabellina, Havana and Monarchy NM24, I doubt I'd invest in those in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back