D2000 treble/highs vs ....(see inside)
Aug 10, 2008 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kabeer

Vintage Ortho Ninja 🥷
Hi,

Can you give me a comparison between the upper treble (taking about vocal S's and hi-hat/cymbals kinda territory), how piercing it is between the D2000 and any of the following headphones:

AKG K1000
Stax Gamma
Stax 003
Sony ECR-500
Etymotic ER-4S
Koss KSC-75

(read below for the backgorund):

I have the Denon D2000, and I find the trebles/highs to be too piercing on the ears, to me its a gone past that tipping point. I feel its too strong on things like cymbals and vocals "S's".

See my signature for my setup, I feel the highs can be slightly calmed down when using the PPAS amp instead of Mini3/cMoy, but even then its too much. I find my AKG K240 Sextett EP has nearly the perfect balance/amount of this upper treble, detail without sounding muffled or piercing like the D2000.

I also felt that my Sextett MP is a bit rolled off, as is my Shure e5 (but somehow I like the way shure did the rolling off...)

I need comparisons with any of the above mentioned headphones for help with tuning headphones to my needs.

Thank you for your help!
duggehsmile.png

Aug 10, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 8
Get the Markl mods done. It helps significantly. Trust me.

I had the same problem, and adding additional padding to the ear pads, gently moves your ear a little further from the drivers. I had the same problem(s), and then when I heard the MD5000DE, it was a totally new animal.

Give the D2000 a chance.. once modded/recabled, it is one of the best headphones I've heard to date.

-Nick
L3000.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi nick20,

I was under the impression that the MarklD2000 had more prominent trebles than the stock D2000, which is why I never did the mods...

Also, either way I still need a comparison of the stock D2000 to any of the mentioned headphones above
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi nick20,

I was under the impression that the MarklD2000 had more prominent trebles than the stock D2000, which is why I never did the mods...

Also, either way I still need a comparison of the stock D2000 to any of the mentioned headphones above
smily_headphones1.gif

The Markl mods calm the brightness/fatigue that is usually prominent on stock headphones. I also found the brightness/fatigue to be too much, until I heard the MD5000DE (modded/Jena Labs recable). It's a whole 'nother headphone when the mods are done correctly.

-Nick
L3000.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Can you give me a comparison between the upper treble (taking about vocal S's and hi-hat/cymbals kinda territory), how piercing it is between the D2000 and any of the following headphones:

AKG K1000
Stax Gamma
Stax 003
Sony ECR-500
Etymotic ER-4S
Koss KSC-75

(read below for the backgorund):

I have the Denon D2000, and I find the trebles/highs to be too piercing on the ears, to me its a gone past that tipping point. I feel its too strong on things like cymbals and vocals "S's".

See my signature for my setup, I feel the highs can be slightly calmed down when using the PPAS amp instead of Mini3/cMoy, but even then its too much. I find my AKG K240 Sextett EP has nearly the perfect balance/amount of this upper treble, detail without sounding muffled or piercing like the D2000.

I also felt that my Sextett MP is a bit rolled off, as is my Shure e5 (but somehow I like the way shure did the rolling off...)

I need comparisons with any of the above mentioned headphones for help with tuning headphones to my needs.

Thank you for your help!
duggehsmile.png

The treble on my APS V2 cabled D2000 is very smooth and non-fatiguing, and I haven't done any markl mods to it.

My Stax Gamma Pro, Stax 003 and ericj's Sony ECR-500 don't have the same treble issues as the stock D2000 (or stock HFI780).

I was not happy with the treble of the stock KSC75 either, but Blutarsky has a pair of recabled KSC-75 that sound smoother and closer to my stock KSC-35.

I've not heard a K1000 or an ER4, but my de-podded IM716 are supposed to be close to the ER4 and they are smooth.

Aug 11, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #7 of 8
its def a burn in thing :)
out of the box my 2000's were shrill and lacked bass.
Im around the 400 hour mark now and they are perfect.
Btw they came good around the 100hour mark.

I found the 2000 to be slightly sterile compared to the 5000's there def alittle warmer but not much .

Hope this helps,

Regards
Trev

Aug 11, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 8
Markling the earpads alone will help...if you do that, you may not even feel the need to do the rest of the mods. Prior to doing it to mine, I found the bass AND the treble very fatigueing and uncomfortable. Moving the drivers away from your eardrums helped much more than I thought possible from such a simple thing. Also, yes...burn-in time is a factor. They mellowed out in the highs and tightened up in the bass quite a bit after 300 hours or so. Of the phones you list, I only have the ER-4S, and the highs on my D2000's are similar in the detail and resolution, but the D2000 is much less neutral overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back