Customs that best matches the LCD2
May 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

blur510

100+ Head-Fier
I have a reshelled TF10 which I like a lot, but since I got my LCD2, I am liking the sound a lot.  Now I am looking for a set of customs that will produce the same'is sound as an LCD2. thanks

May 30, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 30
This might help as well as this.  Quick summary: the EM3 Pro is close, but falls short of the LCD-2.  The Spiral Ear 5-way surpasses it to me and the Starkey SA-43 is still in the running, but I haven't had too much time with it yet as I have been trying to finish up some other reviews lately.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 30

Quote:
Any other thoughts out there? (or updated ones from you Joe)

I know right?? I think I am just gonna wait for the 6 driver 1964 ears or maybe save some more money to get a jh16pro

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 30
Yeah the 16 Pro has the bass there but besides that I don't think there is much similarity between the LCD-2 and it (at least that is my take on it from what I have read). I didn't know 1964 ears were working on a six driver custom... is there any info regarding this anywhere?

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 30
Aug 16, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 30
Just got my first top-tier open back headphone - the LCD-2 rev2. From what I'm hearing the presentation of the LCD-2s are more or less the same presentation I'm hearing with the EX1000s. Its surprising! Only that the LCD2s has better transparency and bass texture. Resolution-wise the EX1000 can keep up with the LCD2s.

As for my only Custom JH16s, the presentation is more forward, more engaging. The bass has more punch and more forward than the EX1000 and the LCD-2s. I describe JH16s as exciting in an analytical sense with powerful bass and very detailed extension. Not that I can hear the LCD2s as laid back with my portable setup: Classisc->CLAS->ALO Rx MK2, I think it maybe because the sense of soundstage wideness that makes it laid back vs the JH16s. The sense of making the sound as open or airy in the LCD2s than the JH16s. Also the JH16s I hear is more in the articulate nitpicking of instruments. It is more obvious on the JH16s to pick up those subtle instruments but on the LCD2s, they are not underwhelmed either. They are able to seperate subtle instruments in a more natural way. The sense of distance from one instrument to another is more obvious in the LCD2s. And this is also whay I liked on some of my DD iems: FX700 and EX1000 that they can also convey along with the timbre.

And still my LCD2s are underpowered with protable amps (ALO Rx MK2), I'm thinking of putting-up a DACmini and Lyr as my first setup then the Apek Peak and Volcano as my high-end desktop setup. But I still need more saving on them.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 30

Quote:
Any other thoughts out there? (or updated ones from you Joe)

So, my questions back to you are what specifically do you like about the LCD-2, the frequency response, note thickness (or combination of the two), spaciousness of the presentation, bass capability, detail levels, etc.  And what source are you using to power the LCD-2 as portable gear just doesn't do it justice IMO.  I don't even know if I am powering it all that well with my Anedio D1.

Quote:
Yeah the 16 Pro has the bass there but besides that I don't think there is much similarity between the LCD-2 and it (at least that is my take on it from what I have read). I didn't know 1964 ears were working on a six driver custom... is there any info regarding this anywhere?

Yes, the JH16 is very different than the LCD-2 IMO.

Here is my SA-43 review where I did compare the LCD-2 with the SA-43 for a bit.  The SA-43 really surprised me to say the least and that and the EP-10 Plus are the two closest to the LCD-2 in presentation.  With the switches both on the SA-43 isn't too far off, but sound from the SE 5-way is closer from a frequency response, however the 5-way makes the LCD-2 sound colored and not quite as natural as I usually think it sounds.  I do have a bunch of other custom IEMs on the way, but until then the 5-way and SA-43 are the closest, but for different reasons.  The EM3 Pro does have a similar sound signature, but it technically isn't up to par with the other two customs nor the LCD-2.

Quote:
Just got my first top-tier open back headphone - the LCD-2 rev2. From what I'm hearing the presentation of the LCD-2s are more or less the same presentation I'm hearing with the EX1000s. Its surprising! Only that the LCD2s has better transparency and bass texture. Resolution-wise the EX1000 can keep up with the LCD2s.

As for my only Custom JH16s, the presentation is more forward, more engaging. The bass has more punch and more forward than the EX1000 and the LCD-2s. I describe JH16s as exciting in an analytical sense with powerful bass and very detailed extension. Not that I can hear the LCD2s as laid back with my portable setup: Classisc->CLAS->ALO Rx MK2, I think it maybe because the sense of soundstage wideness that makes it laid back vs the JH16s. The sense of making the sound as open or airy in the LCD2s than the JH16s. Also the JH16s I hear is more in the articulate nitpicking of instruments. It is more obvious on the JH16s to pick up those subtle instruments but on the LCD2s, they are not underwhelmed either. They are able to seperate subtle instruments in a more natural way. The sense of distance from one instrument to another is more obvious in the LCD2s. And this is also whay I liked on some of my DD iems: FX700 and EX1000 that they can also convey along with the timbre.

And still my LCD2s are underpowered with protable amps (ALO Rx MK2), I'm thinking of putting-up a DACmini and Lyr as my first setup then the Apek Peak and Volcano as my high-end desktop setup. But I still need more saving on them.

I think rev2 is brighter than the rev1 I have, but just due to driver speed.  It also can supposedly convey more detail.  I do agree with what you are writing in comparison of the LCD-2 vs. the JH16, but the SE 5-way and SA-43 really give my LCD-2 a hard time finding head time, even with a fairly good source for the LCD-2.  Do you find the rev2 similar to the EX1000 in frequency response and note thickness?  Rev1 has a fairly thick note and I am wondering how much that has changed.  

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:
So, my questions back to you are what specifically do you like about the LCD-2, the frequency response, note thickness (or combination of the two), spaciousness of the presentation, bass capability, detail levels, etc.  And what source are you using to power the LCD-2 as portable gear just doesn't do it justice IMO.  I don't even know if I am powering it all that well with my Anedio D1.

For me the strength of the LCD-2 is it's timbre, deep yet clean bass coupled with its ability to retrieve details without having hot treble (which seems to be the case for most detail rich 'phones). The soundstage of my Rev 2s is also like nothing else I have heard (every instrument has its own stage and it doesn't sound like its on your head), but I am not entirely sure if this is a good thing yet. I am more or a bass/mid-range kinda guy with the most important element of the music I listen to being the bass and rhythm section. I would like to think it would be wrong to say I like a thick sound, but in comparison to a thin airy sound that is what I would go for... richness?

My LCD-2s were never bought to be used in the portable realm (I think in most cases it would be stupid to use them that way!). They live at home next to my comfy chair. What I am after is some customs to either replace them or compliment them for on the go listening. I am a student so most of my time is spent away from home so cutsoms should prove to be useful.

The SA-43 sounds appealing if they have in fact fixed the bubbles in the silicon (fixed = improved in my books). The looks of a custom are always going draw attention and I want to be comfortable walking around with them in my ears, not conscious of their looks
tongue.gif
So yeah, for me the looks are a catching point. Sending things half way around the world is also a problem, as is the skin coloured switches. I think I would have to wait until they had clear ones (or maybe even back) before I went there. The SE-5, whilst interesting is too much of a stretch on my budget. Oh and do you know how long the warranty is on the SA-43s?

Lastly do you expect any of your incoming customs to be a contender for this thread? The other IEM that is somewhat on my cards it the Miracle (and maybe the LS8) because of the warranty, build quality, ease of postage and the current 20% off offer... but I am not convinced it is what I want.

Sorry for personalizing the questions for you to answer AJ, and for the readers of this thread 
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 30
"Do you find the rev2 similar to the EX1000 in frequency response and note thickness?  Rev1 has a fairly thick note and I am wondering how much that has changed. "

Hearing them side-by-side now, No they are not...the LCD2s are presentation of the mids is thicker, the bass is better and the treble is smoother as it is a bit harsh on the EX1000. I just compared the presentation of LCD2 Rev2 as a bit laid back like the EX1000 (but not to the most extent) compared to the JH16s. This is in the sense that I am hearing a wider soundstage on the LCD2s and it is brought all around the listener, a more 3D-effect I think, compared to the JH16s near the listener presentation of bass.

But now I'm hearing a better bass quality with the LCD2s, vs JH16s or the EX1000.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
For me the strength of the LCD-2 is it's timbre, deep yet clean bass coupled with its ability to retrieve details without having hot treble (which seems to be the case for most detail rich 'phones). The soundstage of my Rev 2s is also like nothing else I have heard (every instrument has its own stage and it doesn't sound like its on your head), but I am not entirely sure if this is a good thing yet. I am more or a bass/mid-range kinda guy with the most important element of the music I listen to being the bass and rhythm section. I would like to think it would be wrong to say I like a thick sound, but in comparison to a thin airy sound that is what I would go for... richness?

My LCD-2s were never bought to be used in the portable realm (I think in most cases it would be stupid to use them that way!). They live at home next to my comfy chair. What I am after is some customs to either replace them or compliment them for on the go listening. I am a student so most of my time is spent away from home so cutsoms should prove to be useful.

The SA-43 sounds appealing if they have in fact fixed the bubbles in the silicon (fixed = improved in my books). The looks of a custom are always going draw attention and I want to be comfortable walking around with them in my ears, not conscious of their looks
tongue.gif
So yeah, for me the looks are a catching point. Sending things half way around the world is also a problem, as is the skin coloured switches. I think I would have to wait until they had clear ones (or maybe even back) before I went there. The SE-5, whilst interesting is too much of a stretch on my budget. Oh and do you know how long the warranty is on the SA-43s?

Lastly do you expect any of your incoming customs to be a contender for this thread? The other IEM that is somewhat on my cards it the Miracle (and maybe the LS8) because of the warranty, build quality, ease of postage and the current 20% off offer... but I am not convinced it is what I want.

Sorry for personalizing the questions for you to answer AJ, and for the readers of this thread 
ksc75smile.gif

Other contenders?  I think I will have the wx i9pro tomorrow evening which is a single dynamic, so that may or may not compare with the LCD-2.  Rooth is coming out with a hybrid like UM, but it is still in development.  The Merlin.  Ear Power supposedly is going to start retuning the EP-10 Plus at the end of summer so it isn't so mid-bass heavy, but I wouldn't hold my breath!  

As far as the SA-43, it is really very versatile and doesn't lose out overall in comparison with the LCD-2.  The presentation is very natural and realistic, which is something not all my customs accomplish.  However, that also depends on perspective.  For example, if the best you have heard is a very good universal, you may think a particular custom IEM sounds just right, but if you have heard a top custom or headphone then a mid-level custom might sound off or lacking.  The SA-43's performance doesn't leave me thinking the sound is off or lacking.  Speaking of that, the SE 5-way is the only thing I have heard that sounds more natural than the LCD-2 even though there is a moderate size difference in the presentation space.  

I requested pictures of the new silicone fill without bubbles and the warranty is 2 years.  Really, I don't have an issue with the switch color and there are options.  And if you think the LCD-2 is spacious, the HD800 and Tesla T1 are more spacious. I owned the T1 but sold it because, even though it is more spacious, it just didn't sound as realistic or engaging to me.

Quote:
"Do you find the rev2 similar to the EX1000 in frequency response and note thickness?  Rev1 has a fairly thick note and I am wondering how much that has changed. "

Hearing them side-by-side now, No they are not...the LCD2s are presentation of the mids is thicker, the bass is better and the treble is smoother as it is a bit harsh on the EX1000. I just compared the presentation of LCD2 Rev2 as a bit laid back like the EX1000 (but not to the most extent) compared to the JH16s. This is in the sense that I am hearing a wider soundstage on the LCD2s and it is brought all around the listener, a more 3D-effect I think, compared to the JH16s near the listener presentation of bass.

But now I'm hearing a better bass quality with the LCD2s, vs JH16s or the EX1000.

Thanks, from my experience with the EX1000 I would guess the rev2 still would be thicker.  I do agree that the LCD-2 bass is very different than the JH16 and EX1000 bass.  The JH16 is the most analytical (thinnest note) custom IEMs I have in the around $1K price range.  While technically it is pretty good, it sacrifices soundstage depth and height for width.  Comparing the LCD-2 and the EX1000, how do you think the side to side coherence compares, as I thought that was one of the EX1000's weaknesses.  What I mean is the closer you get to the center of your head the more difficult it is to hear instrument placement and the left and right aren't completely connected, sounding like a speaker outside of each ear whereas the LCD-2 and my other IEMs don't have this issue.  It reminds me of the SA-5000, HD600, and other headphones in a similar price range to the Sonys.  Not that it is all that bad, but since I have better gear to compare with them it stands out for me.

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #15 of 30
What about the SE535 as compared to the rev.1? I haven't heard them but from what I have read they could be similar, with an emphasis on mids, loads of well defined mid-bass, mellowed out but clear highs. The LCD probably goes deeper though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back