custom IEM comfort? which do you like best?
May 30, 2011 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

metreonfuture

Head-Fier
i've been look at these custom IEM's and the custom tips for etymotic IEM's and have been wondering which is more comfortable.

right now i have it down to the jh audio jh5 or the ety er4s with custom tips. i think the ety's are silicone.

have any of you had both the new ety custom tips and a hard acrylic custom IEM? how did they compare?

May 30, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 8
I have a full custom silicone sleeve like the etys and I have an acrylic custom. I would say they are equally comfortable, actually. However, the silicone is easier to fit in terms of getting a seal that holds when you open your mouth, etc. But, really, they can be pretty much equal if and only if you have an excellent earmold made by an experienced audiologist (even then, you may need a re-fit). All-in-all, and considering customer service, I would go with the etymotic.

May 30, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 8
I'd say that people exaggerate the differences. One thing that people don't talk about is that customs are similar to universal-fit eartips in terms of needing the right positioning for best sound. It's much, much better and more consistent with customs, of course, but you can adjust for suction (which is bad, in spite of so many posts here of people being happy about it) with either silicone or acrylic. It's not a big deal, just a little movement of the earpiece with your hand and you'll notice the sound opening up.

The JH5 and ER4 have different sound signatures, I'd say that is much more important than silicone versus acrylic. Maybe research that further and figure out what you really want to hear.

May 30, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
yeah, i've looked at things about both of them and have come away with the idea that the jh5 is balanced and well, the ety i get mixed reviews on.

Really? I mean, people like the JH5, but the ety is a classic--it just has its excellent treble/analytic sound. I haven't heard them, but they should match up well. Do you want a warmer, more rockin' sound or do you want to hear a brighter, cleaner sound? Anyway, I don't think you can really go wrong.

May 30, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 8
I had Ety with custom silicon molds and some acrylic custom IEM. Anyday I prefer acrylic customs, due to the better ergonomic and comfort. They are easier to insert, remove and adjust for suction. I was surprised, but they are even more comfortable - with them, ears are less wet and warm inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back