Custom IEM advice
Sep 19, 2012 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Loquah

Headphoneus Supremus
I know there are a number of threads around about this topic, but I have a specific question.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on my first custom IEM purchase and I've narrowed the selection down to the following options I think:

1. UM Miracle
  2. JH13
  3. JH16
  4. Heir 8.A

I love the sound of the HiFiMan Re272s, but would like more bass. I'm not a bass head and I like detail, but I'm finding that I'm really enjoying my new HD650s so I think a laid back style is my preference. The things I love in a headphone/earphone are:

1. Soundstage - open and ambient, overall size not so important
  2. Detail - lots and lots of detail, but in a cohesive way like the Re272s, not picking the music to little pieces
  3. Laid back and easy to listen to for up to 2 hours at a time

Out of my list above, what would you recommend? Have I missed the perfect custom?

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 7
Also interested in this, and was about to post a similar question.  I've been trying to decide between the Miracles, JH13, and UERM.

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
I know there are a number of threads around about this topic, but I have a specific question.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on my first custom IEM purchase and I've narrowed the selection down to the following options I think:

1. UM Miracle
  2. JH13
  3. JH16
  4. Heir 8.A

I love the sound of the HiFiMan Re272s, but would like more bass. I'm not a bass head and I like detail, but I'm finding that I'm really enjoying my new HD650s so I think a laid back style is my preference. The things I love in a headphone/earphone are:

1. Soundstage - open and ambient, overall size not so important
  2. Detail - lots and lots of detail, but in a cohesive way like the Re272s, not picking the music to little pieces
  3. Laid back and easy to listen to for up to 2 hours at a time

Out of my list above, what would you recommend? Have I missed the perfect custom?

Well, the Heir Audio 8.A is very cohesive, has excellent clarity within a warm, rich sound and is impossibly smooth and non-fatiguing. It has excellent, very-well controlled bass. I think that's your answer right there. And it's on a special price until Oct 1st, when it goes up. Go to www.HeirAudio.com and order one!

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
After reading more, I think either the Miracle or 8.A will be a safe bet. I think the Miracle being cheaper and more local will win out at this stage.

If it's the miracle you're looking at, I would recommend the 6.A as a comparison. Here's my review.

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 7
Music preference plays an important role in this. Here is a previous post of mine: 

Of the three I have the UERM is most genre-versatile, the UM Miracles most refined and genre-limited (but EXTREMELY well suited to jazz and classical) and the ES5's by far my preferred for anything modern/poorly recorded/rock. As for cables I have not heard the Piccolino, but my silver black dragon provides a nice, albeit subtle, (mostly an improved texture and weight) improvement over the Miracles stock cable. My MK3 does have an easily heard background hiss, though unheard excepting for the softest passages when music is playing) and also has the gain lowered. The lowering of the gain was necessary for every iem I have tried minus the EX1000. Without this tweak you will not have any volume range on the pot.

All impressions heard via a CLAS>MK3 and DX100>MK3/Stepdance 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back