custom DIY or "new" stock cable for d1001?
Dec 6, 2008 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

EraserXIV

Headphoneus Supremus
hey just bought some denon d1001s and i want to recable them because of the improvement in SQ it will achieve. i was thinking about doing a DIY with the mogami 2893, but i also thought about buying stock cables that were already assembled (this will also save out on a lot of work and time, especially since i sometimes find myself wishing that a day had more than 24 hours).

basically what are some cans that have good stock cables that i could use? would these be an improvement over the mogami 2893s? (where could i buy these stock cables too?)

some that i've thought of were d5000 and hd650 cables, how do those two compare with each other and with mogami 2893s? feel free (i encourage you!) to suggest other good stock cables too! thanks.

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 10
Oh, alright, thanks for the info. What kind of cable would you suggest I ask for? Would the Mogami suffice for a d1001 recable?

Also, what's the username to PM? I can't seem to find someone named S2 Audio

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 10
hmm that shows that he provides a recabling service, but does he also sell just assembled cables?

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then it'll be very easy. The most difficult thing of recabling is open the earcups and solder to the drivers. Building a cable is very easy.

cool thanks! also will they let me know where each end is supposed to be soldered on the driver when i do it myself? doesn't it depend on where he solders it in the tip?

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They should.
Or you can just use the multimeter to find out which side of the driver to solder.

Ohh alright. so if i remember correctly, the end that conducts with the tip should be the left and the end that conduct with the ring should be the right. and then for each side, the wires that conduct with the sleeves are the negative.

how about the drivers themselves? i know in the drivers there are 2 connections, a positive and a negative. how do i tell which connection on the driver is for the positive wire and which is for the negative wire?

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #10 of 10
tip-left ring-right sleeve-ground.

When you open the earcups, just take a look at both sides and notice the color of the wires. Each side may have the same color wire which is ground. If not, you can use the multimeter with the stock cable to decide which is L,R,G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back