Current top IEM choices with iPhone controls
Aug 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

aldownie

New Head-Fier
Apologies if this seems like repetition of a theme, but I've searched through various threads and haven't found much comparative info regarding the current options with iPhone controls, and I'd be grateful for any recommendations. Money's not an important factor; I'd like to ensure I get the best sound quality possible, but I really do need a good quality mic/control set too.

The Sony XBA30ip/40ip mic has been very highly praised and I did order a set of XBA30ip on that basis (as well as reviews of its audio capability), but they sounded awful and I'm in the process of returning them. They were *so* bad (treble frequencies completely absent) that I suspect they're faulty, but I'd rather not take a chance on another pair because these had to be ordered from Hong Kong.

So... I'm thinking about the Logitech UE900. They're hideously expensive, but I don't mind paying the price as long as I know I won't be disappointed. My musical taste is all over the place - classical guitar, electronic, trance, rock, chamber music, etc etc.

If you know of any other IEMs which would fit the bill, I'd be very pleased to hear about them.

ps: I'd consider adding a mic cable to any of the top end (Westone, Shure) models if the quality of the cable as good enough - I understand that Westone have withdrawn their own cable because of audio issues, and Shure's mic cable has been very badly reviewed on Amazon.

Thanks in advance,

Al

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 16
Get a top-of-the line custom IEM of your choice then do what i did: reterminate a a mic cable to suit whatever it is that you picked.

for example, this is what i'm using now:
JH16a <= cable from sennheiser IE80i with westone plugs <= iphone
all 3 buttons as well as the mic work great, and the color of the cable blends in with the translucent black of my JH16 brilliantly

couldn't be happier!

dunno why nobody in head-fi has mentioned this before

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 16
The UE900 cable uses the same connectors as Shure. They are 35 bucks I believe. JHAudio also offers mic'd cables as well. I think those are 55. If you are going with a UE custom, they also offer mic'd cables. The UE cables are all 3-button (center button should still be functional for Android and Windows though (assuming your hardware supports it), so you should be able to get play pause next previous.

I'm unsure of your price range, but the Phonak PFE232 may also fit the bill.

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 16
XBA30 with no treble? That doesn't sound right. Maybe they're defective or fakes. What kind of sound signature are you looking for? The KEF M200 have a remote/mic and are very good. Relatively neutral.

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 16
Och! I wish I'd seen this advice sooner! I've been humming and hawing over this for so long hat, just a purple of days ago, I panic-bought a set of Westone 4Rs. They arrived yesterday and I'm relieved to say that they did sound great, right out of the box, which strengthens my belief that the XBA 30s must have been faulty (rather than my ears simply not 'liking' a good quality, accurate reproduction). I had an anxious moment just ths morning when I tried the Westones on my phone for the first time, and they sounded a bit tinny. I swapped buds several times until I was *sure* I had the right fit, tried them in the Mac again and they sounded great, plugged them back into the phone and they sounded tinny again. 'Must be something to do with impedance', I thought, and with a resigned sigh I was just about to start looking for a pocket amp, when I suddenly remembered... In an experiment to try to get SOME kind of useful sound out of the XBA 30s, I'd set the phone's equalizer to 'ultra-mega-tinny'. Doh!

So. I have a great set of IEMs now, but no remote. I'll start researching DIY cables, and maybe experiment with cables cannibalised from cheap iPhone earphones. Thanks a lot for the tip.

Cheers,

A.

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 16
Oh.. Forgot to say... The Phonak 232 was my1st choice, but I was a bit anxious about a report saying they'd either gone out of business or withdrawn from the music market, and a very mediocre review I'd seen in a hi-fi magazine...

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 16
Your experience with the sony's doesn't sound right at all. It's been a long while since I heard the xba-3 but absent treble is far from how I would describe them.

I'd personally suggest the phonak pfe112. My father has a pair that I've listened to and they're pretty balanced in sound - doing all genres of music well. The mic works Pretty well, and is nice and clear on calls. They're built pretty tough if you get a more recent revision, and while they're discontinued you should be able to find a pair at a reasonable price.

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 16
Och! I wish I'd seen this advice sooner! I've been humming and hawing over this for so long hat, just a purple of days ago, I panic-bought a set of Westone 4Rs. They arrived yesterday and I'm relieved to say that they did sound great, right out of the box, which strengthens my belief that the XBA 30s must have been faulty (rather than my ears simply not 'liking' a good quality, accurate reproduction). I had an anxious moment just ths morning when I tried the Westones on my phone for the first time, and they sounded a bit tinny. I swapped buds several times until I was *sure* I had the right fit, tried them in the Mac again and they sounded great, plugged them back into the phone and they sounded tinny again. 'Must be something to do with impedance', I thought, and with a resigned sigh I was just about to start looking for a pocket amp, when I suddenly remembered... In an experiment to try to get SOME kind of useful sound out of the XBA 30s, I'd set the phone's equalizer to 'ultra-mega-tinny'. Doh!

So. I have a great set of IEMs now, but no remote. I'll start researching DIY cables, and maybe experiment with cables cannibalised from cheap iPhone earphones. Thanks a lot for the tip.

Cheers,

A.

You can buy the UE 3-button mic/remote cable and then trim the sleeve around the pins. That essentially turns it into a Westone connector.

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 16
Hi Blueangel,

This sounds promising! And cheap! I've had a look at the Logitech spares store, and they offer two replacement cables with mics, but it's not clear from the small pictures if both the 'Triple Fi 10vi' and the 'vi cable for UE900' have three-button controls. I'm guessing that the UE900 cable will for sure, since those IEMs are sold on Apple's online store, but they seem to have a different connector to the Triple Fi cable. Which one d'you think will be easiest to modify for connection to the Westones?

Thanks a lot,

Al

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
Hi Blueangel,

This sounds promising! And cheap! I've had a look at the Logitech spares store, and they offer two replacement cables with mics, but it's not clear from the small pictures if both the 'Triple Fi 10vi' and the 'vi cable for UE900' have three-button controls. I'm guessing that the UE900 cable will for sure, since those IEMs are sold on Apple's online store, but they seem to have a different connector to the Triple Fi cable. Which one d'you think will be easiest to modify for connection to the Westones?

Thanks a lot,

Al

This one: http://social.logitechue.com/promos/inline-remote-and-microphone-cable-for-custom-in-ear-monitors/#./?&_suid=1375923897506007415387318745986

And you would trim it like this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/476016/iphone-cable-with-mic-for-ue-or-jh-iems/105#post_9658314

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Blueangel,

Thanks a lot,

Al

This one: http://social.logitechue.com/promos/inline-remote-and-microphone-cable-for-custom-in-ear-monitors/#./?&_suid=1375923897506007415387318745986

And you would trim it like this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/476016/iphone-cable-with-mic-for-ue-or-jh-iems/105#post_9658314

I am looking for replacement cable for my TF10, does [size=12.800000190734863px]48" Replacement Cable [/size] fit TF10?

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #14 of 16
Word of warning for international customers - the cable costs $49, but postage costs $30, UK VAT costs £10.79, and UPS's "brokering fee" costs £11. So the total price of purchase is more than $110! Blimey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back