Current Outstanding canalphones/IEMs from Top End to Bottom End
Oct 5, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #31 of 75
I also feel I should chime in and say that I have a pair of Sony MDR-EX90LPs and they are very nice 'phones, I think. They are similar in sound to my big MDR-V700DJs (full sized DJ headphones) but the V700s are slightly warmer than the EX90LPs but, for an earphone, I feel they stack up very well against their big brother. Microphonics/cable noise is a slight issue with the EX90LPs but does not make them unusable. I didn't pay for them but apparently they were about $160 which I think is good for the sound they produce but, in all honesty, I don't think I would have paid it.

Just my two cents
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #33 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: the little zip-round case the Denons come with is by far the BEST earphone case I've ever owned. It has plenty of room inside to fit everything.

Correct, sir!

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #34 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: the little zip-round case the Denons come with is by far the BEST earphone case I've ever owned. It has plenty of room inside to fit everything. The Ety cases were small and hard to stuff the 'phones into, and I didn't like the case the SF5LS came with (though I returned those 'phones).

Pics? Sorry to derail the thread, but I'm interested. Just spent $3 on an ety case to replace the stock SA6 case, which is crap. So far I'm really happy with it, but I'm always looking out for new goodies...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #35 of 75
I have to agree with Walie (and many others) on the UM2's.. Over the last couple of years i've owned 4 pair of UM2's, & to be honest i would never advise them to anyone - for usage with an MP3-player that is..

For that use i've given them a 2nd chance over and over again because I too want to love them, but i can't, they just got too many flaws SQ-wise. Each new mp3-player I hope it will be different, but it ain't.. the gaps are always there - especially the high mids & highs, then there's the overpowering stalish bass, the lack of soundstage & their limitation to only certain music-styles. On a live stage situation it's a whole different story, but for listening in a (semi-) quiet situation on an MP3-player they're definately below par with the triple.fi's/IE-40's, X-10 & even the SE530's..

Actually, with UM2's I can hardly tell the difference between 320kbps MP3 & FLAC, & that's a completely different story with the others from your 'cream of the crop' list..

Anyway, i've been coming here for some years but never had the urge to register, until I got my hands on some Klipsch Custom 3 which i now consider to be (at least) on par with the better half your top list (which i've all owned or stil own btw).

Just my 2 cents

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #36 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzylogic76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about FutureSonics Atrio M5/M8?

These get a lot of praise here. And considering you seem to like the warmer phone, these should be somewhere on the top of the list.

I haven't heard the Futursonics stuff so I would feel I were doing a disservice to say anything about them. I do apologize, though, for them not being in the list. I'm certain they probably belong in the list.

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #37 of 75
Mmm. Just curious. But would you get them to try?

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #38 of 75
Overall a nice list list up until UE superfi 4 was mentioned. In my opinion, anyone who would put these on a list of recommendable iems, is someone whose soundadvice would be easily neglectable.
Including these, and omitting the er6i's serves the same purpose.

I'd say that the er6i's are hands down the best iems available for about 60 bucks, and the general consensus around here would likely be in agreement.

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #39 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilac1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overall a nice list list up until UE superfi 4 was mentioned. In my opinion, anyone who would put these on a list of recommendable iems, is someone whose soundadvice would be easily neglectable.

why

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #40 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljcii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmm. Just curious. But would you get them to try?

If I could I would. I tried a week or so ago but, being now broke and destitute, I have no way of obtaining them. All of the ones I do have I either traded my hardware collection off for or had the funding to buy them. I sold a lot on ebay to buy a lot of what I have also.

The q-Jays I just came up with, I traded my ER4Ps for them. And if I ever come up with enough money, I'll buy a set of M8s.

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #42 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I could I would. I tried a week or so ago but, being now broke and destitute, I have no way of obtaining them. All of the ones I do have I either traded my hardware collection off for or had the funding to buy them. I sold a lot on ebay to buy a lot of what I have also.

The q-Jays I just came up with, I traded my ER4Ps for them. And if I ever come up with enough money, I'll buy a set of M8s.

How do the q-Jays compare to the ER4Ps?

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #43 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoxHound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just noticed that the Custom 1 and 2 are on the list, but no Custom 3. is it just not worth the money compared to the Custom 2 but not as good as the Image?

From what I've heard, the C3s are better than the Image X10s. I don't know, though, because I won't have them to evaluate for a long while because of my current financial condition. However, the list will be updated as needed.

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #45 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoxHound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, this thread should be stickied.

Though I'm even newer than you are, I disagree.

If someone were to make a subjective thread with the original post being updated to include other people's opinions then that would be more useful, if very complicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back