crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Dec 3, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #1,336 of 3,338
@crinacle I was about to ask where does the UERR rank in your list.......then found it below the UERM.

I understand your love for the UERM..........I partly share that love but ultimately found it way less reference sounding than UERR over prolonged usage. The UERR's highs are too much better than the sometimes hard-to-control and somewhat peaky but not as well extended highs from the UERM. The extra sparkle of the UERM, probably due to a swelling in the high-mids region, may gives a feeling of more air at times but spiky at other times. Coming from the Ety family long ago, thought the UERM would be the natural heir to the ER4 but nope it just wasn't. The UERR did it better (and my UERR is "only" the to-go version, while the UERM is CM, if that matters). The UERR had become my ultimate tool for arranging music and for recreational cum critical listening (admittedly too bass light for onstage use though). These my U18 can also do nicely, but somehow for work purposes I love the UERR's last bit of neutrality and details (yes details.....who said 3 drivers can't reproduce more details at times than their 18-drivers counterpart?)

Know there are too many things out there to test out, but when you have the time do give the UERR more ear time if possible. The highs are simply insane. BTW I am no UE fanboy, far from it. I simply hate each and every generation of the 18pro/18+. A few of my friends in the industry kinda regretted getting it for work. And when the UE folks know how to tune things like the UERR, I am at a loss why they'd roll out something like the 18+ or the Live......

Just my (fairly long) two cents after discovering the UERR ranks below the UERM in your table. YMMV. Good work so far bro.

Dec 3, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #1,341 of 3,338
@crinacle I was about to ask where does the UERR rank in your list.......then found it below the UERM.

I understand your love for the UERM..........I partly share that love but ultimately found it way less reference sounding than UERR over prolonged usage. The UERR's highs are too much better than the sometimes hard-to-control and somewhat peaky but not as well extended highs from the UERM. The extra sparkle of the UERM, probably due to a swelling in the high-mids region, may gives a feeling of more air at times but spiky at other times. Coming from the Ety family long ago, thought the UERM would be the natural heir to the ER4 but nope it just wasn't. The UERR did it better (and my UERR is "only" the to-go version, while the UERM is CM, if that matters). The UERR had become my ultimate tool for arranging music and for recreational cum critical listening (admittedly too bass light for onstage use though). These my U18 can also do nicely, but somehow for work purposes I love the UERR's last bit of neutrality and details (yes details.....who said 3 drivers can't reproduce more details at times than their 18-drivers counterpart?)

Know there are too many things out there to test out, but when you have the time do give the UERR more ear time if possible. The highs are simply insane. BTW I am no UE fanboy, far from it. I simply hate each and every generation of the 18pro/18+. A few of my friends in the industry kinda regretted getting it for work. And when the UE folks know how to tune things like the UERR, I am at a loss why they'd roll out something like the 18+ or the Live......

Just my (fairly long) two cents after discovering the UERR ranks below the UERM in your table. YMMV. Good work so far bro.

In a way I do share some of your sentiments, the UERM isn't exactly a perfect reference monitor due to its sharp upper treble peak but I feel that the UERR strays a little too far in the opposite direction, being too warm and dark to be truly reference. My view is that the UERR tends to smooth and gloss over some details as compared to the UERM; while the tonality of the UERR may be a little more "natural" there seems to be a small sacrifice in sheer transients, and so the UERM slightly edges out the UERR in overall resolution.

I don't mind going back in for another go at the UERR but full disclosure: it is one of the IEMs that have gotten a bit of an unfair proportion of my listening time because of how much I rather like it. Not just the Music Sanctuary demo unit but the Jaben demo units as well (both Singapore and Melbourne branches) as well as the Addicted to Audio demo unit. The ranks are not an indication of my own personal tastes and there are many instances in which I would pick a lower-graded IEM over a higher-graded one.

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #1,343 of 3,338
@crinacle, do you think it's strange that there aren't too many bright/neutral (ie high detail) tier s CIEMs? that's my preferred signature and i'm trying to see if there's a wider market than the zeus. also, pardon my ignorance, but what does DF stand for? like when you say DF-neutral.

Thanks!

great to see another Akamatsu fan. Love Hina is probably my favorite manga of all time..

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #1,344 of 3,338
@crinacle, do you think it's strange that there aren't too many bright/neutral (ie high detail) tier s CIEMs? that's my preferred signature and i'm trying to see if there's a wider market than the zeus. also, pardon my ignorance, but what does DF stand for? like when you say DF-neutral.

Thanks!

great to see another Akamatsu fan. Love Hina is probably my favorite manga of all time..

diffuse field = DF

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Dec 4, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #1,345 of 3,338
@crinacle did you receive your sony SBH56 yet? How is the MH755 that comes bundled with it, does it sound the same as the loaner pair?

Myself and a couple friends in Indonesia bought what look like original pairs, and they all sound like they have too much sub-bass at around 60-80 Hz.. the rest of the frequencies are very nice though.. can definitely compete with $100 or more earbuds..

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #1,346 of 3,338
@crinacle did you receive your sony SBH56 yet? How is the MH755 that comes bundled with it, does it sound the same as the loaner pair?

Myself and a couple friends in Indonesia bought what look like original pairs, and they all sound like they have too much sub-bass at around 60-80 Hz.. the rest of the frequencies are very nice though.. can definitely compete with $100 or more earbuds..

Cheers!

Sounds about right. I've received my SBH56 and it is similar to the loaner pair. I've also tried the MH750 and it's a lot bassier and more veiled; not impressed with that. Overall the MH755 should be sub-bass emphasised so anyone looking for something more neutral should get a T2 or something. Still haven't gotten a chance at those...

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #1,348 of 3,338
Hi crinacle, any expectation when you might get your hands on Solaris to make a review? :)

Due to some complications with Campfire Audio, I won't be getting a review unit. However I've just gotten news that the Solaris just hit the shores so I'll definitely be trying it out and ranking it eventually. As for a full review, it'll depend on how much ear time I can get on it else it'll just get the "regular treatment".

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #1,349 of 3,338
Is this a place to ask for recommendations? I've been struggling with find an IEM for a while and Im understandably afraid to spend money on something I may not like so id like to reduce the possibility as much as I can. I am aware that the only way to reduce that completely is to listen to the IEMs in question but this doesn't seem to be a practical thing to do for me.

Also I use these at work so I need to keep the price somewhat reasonable in case they walk off it won't hurt too much.

Here is where I'm at....Ive been using Zero Audio Carbo Tenores for a while now. I like their clarity and their forwardness....I've never liked their bass though...its a bit light for my taste.

I went to them from the monoprice 8320s? I can't remember the exact model the "bass enhanced ones" that were the budget rage around here a while ago. They were decent and had good bass but they were mostly congested and muffled a lot of the time and the mids and high to an extent were a bit recessed.

so Im looking to step up from these two...I want the clarity, I want the forwardness but I also want the bass..I don't want anything to be that recessed.

I tried a set of LZ-A4s and while they did appear to be a marked improvement over both the Tenores and the Monoprice IEMs, they were incredibly uncomfortable in my ears. Part of the body of the IEM was resting on part of my ear and after about 10 minutes it started to hurt. So I haven't really listened to them a ton. So yes they are better than the two but I cant tell how much better it really pinpoint what was better.

My price range may be difficult...its 1 to 200 dollars.

some IEMs in my price range from the list VSonic GR07 Classic or Bass well rated here but build issues, probably not surprising at this price point though, and there seems to be some weird treble issues with it? Then I'm not even sure Id notice or care if I did honestly though.

someone recommended the iBasso IT01 but there are those that say its too v shaped....I don't want something really v shaped. I dislike hearing things like vocals that sound distant....

then there is the jump to the MD+ IEMs. These seem like they could fit the bill but are out of my price range, that said if they are exactly what Im looking for and where I may ultimately end up if I can't find something satisfactory in the hundred dollar range then spending the money now would be smart because Ill spend it eventually anyway.

Anything else I should be looking at that Im missing? Also if this is wrong out out of line in anyway sorry you can remove it....

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #1,350 of 3,338
Due to some complications with Campfire Audio, I won't be getting a review unit. However I've just gotten news that the Solaris just hit the shores so I'll definitely be trying it out and ranking it eventually. As for a full review, it'll depend on how much ear time I can get on it else it'll just get the "regular treatment".
It's a pity, it seems like Solaris recently became quite a popular topic. However, any thoughts would be great! :) I'm looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back