Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Oct 24, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #1,156 of 3,462
Sorry for the dumb question but where are you acquiring OEM SB-z from? I've only ever seen retail boxed versions for sale in the UK and Germany?

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #1,157 of 3,462
  I'm a bit confused. So it was proven that SBX through speakers does not sound like SBX through headphones?

Yes, you could have asked me about that too, I thought it was clearly audible for every1. Speakers / 5.1 speakers won't sound the same as headphone HRTF with SBX, headphone HRTF sounds much more accurate positioning wise if using headphones.

You can simply run the demo SBX clip with both configs to verify, it's not that hard to notice the difference... 

With 5.1 speakers the default 67% worked best (still not as good as using headphone) but with Headphone for me personally, 91% surround works best (tested mainly with UT3 while running windowed mode, tweaking in realtime).

So yea if you are using SBX with headphones, then headphone speaker type should definitely be used.

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #1,158 of 3,462
Oct 24, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #1,159 of 3,462
If you are in the US, Newegg.com has a few oem models.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102054

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102053

Imho its not worth the $20 difference for there not to be support from creative and no EMI shield.. If the card was outside the PC, maybe the EMI shield wouldn't make a difference but inside with multiple video cards and OC'd components, dont like the chances.

Yes, you could have asked me about that too, I thought it was clearly audible for every1. Speakers / 5.1 speakers won't sound the same as headphone HRTF with SBX, headphone HRTF sounds much more accurate positioning wise if using headphones.

You can simply run the demo SBX clip with both configs to verify, it's not that hard to notice the difference... 

With 5.1 speakers the default 67% worked best (still not as good as using headphone) but with Headphone for me personally, 91% surround works best (tested mainly with UT3 while running windowed mode, tweaking in realtime).

So yea if you are using SBX with headphones, then headphone speaker type should definitely be used.

Also to add to this,

If you select 5.1 speakers in Z control panel and you select SBX surround, it will upmix/matrix stereo sound into surround.  This is based on creative's feature list wording, user reports and also what CMSS3D surround used to do with 5.1 setups.

I dont have 5.1 PC speakers so I cant test this out personally, but if somebody else could please?  Also test out what happens when you send 5.1 signal to the Z and then use sbx surround with 5.1 speakers... I'm kind of confused what it would do, if anything.

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #1,160 of 3,462
I don't understand the 5.1 music thing over the Z. Any decent 5.1 setup is able to copy it's stereo channels to the rears or include the center decently. My decade old Creative inspire did this. 

I don't understand either why you would listen to 5.1 music on a desk. Any decent nearfield monitor will destroy those little ones. 

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #1,161 of 3,462
Well I always considered SBX to be exclusively for headphones, in its design. This made me wonder, "Why are we trying for speakers while playing music?" Anyway, I usually have SBX off for music.

I've recently become addicted to the Z's profile feature. It's fantastic for testing EQ settings.

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #1,162 of 3,462
Well there are those that like music engulfing them. I am not one of those. Unless its recorded that way. Like I said before I think creative is catering to as many as possible with these features.

And we get screwed due to simplification. No control over sbx modes.

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #1,163 of 3,462

By the way, you aren't using Generic Software device in UT3, right (it sounds like you are though)? SBX should get disabled in that game if you are configured it properly. If you are using SBX in it, you are seriously reducing the processing there. You should manually put correct device name in config file.

I like speaker SBX mode than headphone SBX because the speaker mode has much wider sound stage. I can trade some accuracy for sound stage (and IMO better sound overall - although the main reason is that headphone out is just so damn loud). I keep the SBX slider at 15% and I only use SBX in Skyrim because it is bugged in standard stereo mode.

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #1,165 of 3,462
By the way, you aren't using Generic Software device in UT3, right? SBX should get disabled in that game if you are configured it properly. If you are using SBX in it, you are seriously reducing the processing there. You should manually put correct device name in config file.

I like speaker SBX mode than headphone SBX because the speaker mode has much wider sound stage. I can trade some accuracy for sound stage (and IMO better sound overall - although the main reason is that headphone out is just so damn loud). I keep the SBX slider at 15% and I only use SBX in Skyrim because it is bugged in standard stereo mode.

Ya from what I remember, if you don't use hardware openal, you can't get surround(aka premixed 5.1). You need to use openal's own hrtf.

Rpgwizard, are you sure your not getting stereo and then using sbx surround?

@Sal,

Well looks like the only way to get stereo surround is through your amp and speakers control.

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,166 of 3,462
Or plugins that copy those channels. 

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #1,167 of 3,462
Not meaning to be in anyway contentious, but Creative sent me this just now:

Dear Jamie,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Under the the Sound Blaster Z PRO Studio Control panel, speakers / headphone tab you have two option to select your connections, speaker or headphone.

Please note that the headphone option is only available if connected to a Line in/ Mic in jack.

Which means that if the SPDIF connection is used your setup will be recognized as speakers even if your used your headset, this will be in stereo mode.

The gaming setup that you wanted actually will depend on the headset that you will be using, Some gaming headsets supports optical connection.

If you have further questions, comments or concerns please include them in your reply. Thank you.

Best Regards,

John
Creative Worldwide Customer Response

Should I mail them back and tell them that they are wrong?

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,169 of 3,462
'Line In / Microphone In jack: Connects to line-level sources (for example, MP3 players) or microphones with a 3.5mm (1/8-inch) plug'.

Basically Creative are saying that you won't get to use Headphone Mode unless you have a microphone or an MP3 player in the Line In (What); and no mention of Headphone Out or the Line Outs either, which actually do use Headphone Mode.

Is Asus support like this?????

screw it. In terms of Headphone Mode/SPDIF question we know it works, even though Creative do not. *Edit* I only ask this because Feg confirmed that it works on the ZxR;  but the ZxR (unlike the Z) has it's digital out on a separate daughterboard. Is there a difference - again, I just want it confirmed?

Don't want to order up gear and find it dead on expectations (aka DOE).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back