Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Oct 16, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #3,031 of 3,462
Is it safe to use a splitter to combine the 3.5mm stereo headphone out (which is amplified) into a single mono RCA? Perhaps something like this 3.5mm Stereo to RCA jack adapter http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7147

I'm forced to use the 3.5mm stereo headphone out on my soundcard to connect the Buttkicker Gamer 2, but it only has a single line level RCA input to be used with the center/sub channel in a speaker setup. It comes with a 3.5mm stereo to dual RCA adapter cable which I can use to connect either the L or R channel, which works and is how I have it set up now, but I would hate to be missing some of the bass that could potentially be on the other channel. In theory a splitter would connect them, but since the headphone out is amplified and I have Windows set to 100% volume I'm not sure if it would blow up the soundcard or something. What do you think?

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #3,032 of 3,462
Hey BrockSamson, use something like 1 image, then plug your headphones into 1 of 3,5 and use other with image 2 to your ButtKicker. Headphone output of ZxR should be max 150mV and you will use line level input witch should be something around 1 to 5V, so HP out can even be not enough to run it..

Be patient, maybe someone will have other opinion.

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #3,033 of 3,462
  Hey BrockSamson, use something like 1 image, then plug your headphones into 1 of 3,5 and use other with image 2 to your ButtKicker. Headphone output of ZxR should be max 150mV and you will use line level input witch should be something around 1 to 5V, so HP out can even be not enough to run it..

Be patient, maybe someone will have other opinion.

I'm not using the 3.5mm out for my headphones. I'm using optical out to a Schiit stack. However, for SBX Surround to sound correct in games I have the Soundblaster Z control panel set to Headphones mode. This disables all the 3.5mm outputs on the soundcard except for the headphone jack. I can use a 3.5mm stereo to dual RCA adapter cable to connect either the L or R channel RCA to the Buttkicker, which is how I have it set up now and it works, but I'm only able to connect the L or R cable since the Buttkicker has a single RCA input. In theory an RCA splitter will allow me to connect both the L and R RCA channels into the single RCA jack on the Buttkicker, but I don't know how combining the L and R channels could effect the Soundblaster Z or the amplifier that's running the headphone out jack.

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #3,034 of 3,462
Is it safe to use a splitter to combine the 3.5mm stereo headphone out (which is amplified) into a single mono RCA?

NO. I already provided a link as to why this cannot be done (re-read my reply to you asking this question 4 days ago: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623079/creative-sound-blaster-new-series-z-zx-zxr/3015#post_11989873). You cannot use a passive splitter to combine signals - it is dangerous to all involved equipment. You would need an active crossover and/or summer (most active xovers have a summer built-in) if you're really adamant about getting "the other channel" but again, as I said previously, this will probably be for the worst for headphone audio because of the low-cut into the cans. IOW you will very likely want the full-range signal going into the cans, and then the TT is just an "effect" that re-enforces the low-end. Having it on a single channel shouldn't be too much of a problem, since it isn't actually reproducing anything audible, its just a TT. In theory you could run an active xover (with built-in summer) off the line output and then not connect the headphone amp to the main level out, so you're just using the xover as a low-pass filter, and then play with dialing it into whatever feels best.

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #3,035 of 3,462
NO. I already provided a link as to why this cannot be done (re-read my reply to you asking this question 4 days ago: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623079/creative-sound-blaster-new-series-z-zx-zxr/3015#post_11989873). You cannot use a passive splitter to combine signals - it is dangerous to all involved equipment. You would need an active crossover and/or summer (most active xovers have a summer built-in) if you're really adamant about getting "the other channel" but again, as I said previously, this will probably be for the worst for headphone audio because of the low-cut into the cans. IOW you will very likely want the full-range signal going into the cans, and then the TT is just an "effect" that re-enforces the low-end. Having it on a single channel shouldn't be too much of a problem, since it isn't actually reproducing anything audible, its just a TT. In theory you could run an active xover (with built-in summer) off the line output and then not connect the headphone amp to the main level out, so you're just using the xover as a low-pass filter, and then play with dialing it into whatever feels best.

The headphones are running on an external dac/amp via the optical output so they will not be affected by any of this.

Even if I tapped into that signal path I would still have the same problem: I need to convert L and R stereo channels into mono. Using only the L or R channel works but of course it's missing half the sound and it really does make a difference. Loading a youtube video for iRacing or any other game results in very obvious differences. A car hits the bumps on the left side and the chair rumbles surprisingly realistically. Hit the bumps on the right and there is no shaking at all since the R channel cable is dangling off the desk.

I've started looking for active crossovers but they all seem far too expensive for what I want to do. I don't need any fancy EQ or other features, the Buttkicker has it's own high and low pass filters, so I just need to mix from stereo to mono. I don't really know what I'm looking for though, so maybe it's the wrong stuff. Is there a cheap device that will do this?

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #3,036 of 3,462
The headphones are running on an external dac/amp via the optical output so they will not be affected by any of this.

That doesn't matter. You cannot use a y-splitter (keyword: splitter) to combine two signals.

Even if I tapped into that signal path I would still have the same problem: I need to convert L and R stereo channels into mono. Using only the L or R channel works but of course it's missing half the sound and it really does make a difference. Loading a youtube video for iRacing or any other game results in very obvious differences. A car hits the bumps on the left side and the chair rumbles surprisingly realistically. Hit the bumps on the right and there is no shaking at all since the R channel cable is dangling off the desk.

I've started looking for active crossovers but they all seem far too expensive for what I want to do. I don't need any fancy EQ or other features, the Buttkicker has it's own high and low pass filters, so I just need to mix from stereo to mono. I don't really know what I'm looking for though, so maybe it's the wrong stuff. Is there a cheap device that will do this?

You need a summer or a crossover - you cannot use a splitter. An active crossover will start around $40-50 in pricing, and really esoteric ones can go into the hundreds of dollars. Many AV preamps and receivers can also do bass management to varying extents.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #3,037 of 3,462
Would something like this BEHRINGER MICROMIX MX400 do it? http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-MX400-BEHRINGER-MICROMIX/dp/B000KGYAYQ

Seems like I could input the L and R channels into 2 of the inputs, then have it mix to the single mono output. Or would they cancel out or do some other funkiness?

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #3,041 of 3,462
  You could keep that Sound blaster Z and get a external dac amp and connect the sound blaster Z optical into say a Audio-GD NFB11 and send the gaming functions of the SBZ thru optical using the send stereo mix thru optical check box in advance tab. Which will allow you to have the gaming functions of the Z and the audio performance of a external dac amp. It pretty much what I did when I got a cheap SBZ recently. It doesn't have to be a Audio-GD NFB 11, it could be a Schiit Modni 2 dac and a magni 2 hp amp.

I see now.HI-FI people recommed to me Musical Fidelity V90 DAC  & Musical Fidelity V90-HPA i see a lot people love Schiit Modni 2 and now i see experiance users got Audio-GD NFB.
What is the best of those three dac/amps for gaming and music?

What exactly do you have the Z906 connected to and how do you have them connected? 

I me conected  Z906 on 3.5 jacks for 5.1 from SBZ and also with optical OUT from SBZ for DD and dts only oprtical IN is free on SBZ.
I have also free optical out on motherboard Asus Maxumus VII Hero by Realtek 1150.

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #3,042 of 3,462
First most it depends on the type of sound that your looking for, Two it also depends on your budget.  That's the two most important answer's.

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #3,044 of 3,462
If you want something that all in one unit that wont take up much space then the Audio-GD unit's like the NFB11 would be a good choice for you. Besides the usb input's, it has the optical which you will need and then coaixal.  Then check the send stereo mix thru optical in the advance tab in the creative panel. It will then send the SBZ DSP effects and settings thru to the optical. That way you can have both gaming effects and improved audio. There are cheaper option's like finding a used Modni 1 optical, or getting a Modni2 uber which has optical and then pairing it with a magni2. Both of devices are smaller then the Audio-GD unit's.

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #3,045 of 3,462
I me now uninstal Realtek 1150 codec and disable from bios and now I me got new sound from SBZ.This sound now is right sound.So what will be different if i put Schiit Modni 2 or any Audio-GD unit sound will be more poweful or something like hI-FI ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back