Creative G5 discussion and reviews
Oct 21, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #496 of 645
Anyone have issues getting 192kHz to show on Windows 10?

In the Advanced settings if it's set to Stereo 2.0/2.1 then in Windows settings it'll show 24 bit and 192kHz sample rates. If I change it to 7.1 Virtual Surround then the highest sample rate is only 24 bit and 96kHz.

I'm not sure if this is a driver issue, hardware fault, or just how it's supposed to be?

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #497 of 645
Help!

How do I actually turn on virtual 5.1/7.1... for me it's automatically selected stereo 2.0/2.1 and I can't change it.

EDIT: Bloody antivirus software interrupted the install appearently! When I tried to reinstall it I couldn't even get it to recognise the device anymore. With some searching on the Internet it turns out certain antivirus may block the driver install.

Initial impressions is pretty positive, finally got the virtual 5.1/7.1 working correctly with headphones again. Didn't work properly for me on the Z-series internal cards at least. I think I prefer 5.1 over 7.1 is my first impressions, why I wanted to test G5 rather than E5 to begin with, which only has virtual 7.1 support but lacking 5.1 (well so far at least) but I need more testing to be 100% sure. Could do without the LEDs though but I can always tape over that X at the top at least.

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #498 of 645
Quote:
  Help!

How do I actually turn on virtual 5.1/7.1... for me it's automatically selected stereo 2.0/2.1 and I can't change it.

EDIT: Bloody antivirus software interrupted the install appearently! When I tried to reinstall it I couldn't even get it to recognise the device anymore. With some searching on the Internet it turns out certain antivirus may block the driver install.

Initial impressions is pretty positive, finally got the virtual 5.1/7.1 working correctly with headphones again. Didn't work properly for me on the Z-series internal cards at least. I think I prefer 5.1 over 7.1 is my first impressions, why I wanted to test G5 rather than E5 to begin with, which only has virtual 7.1 support but lacking 5.1 (well so far at least) but I need more testing to be 100% sure. Could do without the LEDs though but I can always tape over that X at the top at least.

could you check your sample rates in Windows for me with virtual 7.1 checked? mine has it max at 96khz

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #499 of 645
  Quote:
could you check your sample rates in Windows for me with virtual 7.1 checked? mine has it max at 96khz

I've read 5.1/7.1 supports max 96kHz so guess that's why. I personally set it at 44.1kHz since that's what majority of what I listen to use so it doesn't need resampling. I don't know why you need above, higher won't give you better sound quality.

Oct 31, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #500 of 645
yep, no point for that plus the 7.1 is gimped right now anyway or let's say: SINCE ALMOST A YEAR.

We should send PMs to the Creative reps here. I did at the beginning of this year but nothing happened yet. 

Nov 1, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #501 of 645
So what's the point of the "Headphone Surround for Line/Optical Out"? Does the surround sound different on Line Out compared to when headphones are plugged in through the front?

Nov 1, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #502 of 645
you can connect it to an external DAC/AMP or a standalone amp and reap their strengths and benefits. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #503 of 645
  So what's the point of the "Headphone Surround for Line/Optical Out"? Does the surround sound different on Line Out compared to when headphones are plugged in through the front?

It applies the surround processing also on line-out. Line-out output doesn't use the built-in headphone amp so theoretically you can connect it to another amp of your own to get a cleaner output and IMO it does get cleaner when using that output than the front jack when plugged into another amp. With the amps I own when double amped from the front jack the sound is more muffled, lacking transparency. With line-out the sound is just cleaner and better.

But having said that, I went back to Onboard Realtek ALC1150 config from ASRock, it never fails to impress me really, I now have ZxR, STX II and a Sound Blaster G5 just sitting on the shelf. :) For me it sound best with the best subjectively percieved quality anyway with its clear and detailed sound and excellent bass response quality (tight n punchy). Somehow the ALC1150 started working again with 5.1 speakers properly again where rear sounds doesn't get heavily muted, I can't seem to find out what I have to do to get it working but maybe it's because STX II is installed right now as well, really odd... it was because I got disappointed by not having the positional sound working properly in games with Realtek that I wanted to get the Sound Blaster G5 but now as it started working properly again it's like I have no need for the G5 anymore as I prefer how it sounds with music anyway.

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #505 of 645
Hello,

Currently I have Yahama RX-V371 receiver and in 3 day I should get Sennheiser HD 650.
Now, I know that the Yamaha is low budget piece of crap, so I am looking for alternatives.

I want to ask you whether Creative G5 is comparable in pure music audio quality to amp/dac combos like O2+ODAC and Schitt's Modi/Magni?
I absolutely don't care about the sound card's abilities in term of games, surround and what not. I will be using it only for listening to HQ music and that's all!

My setup is: 24/96 FLAC vinyl rips played on foobar2000 (with ASAPI) on Windows 10 -> Yahama RX-V371 (for the time being) / <the new hardware I'm going to get> -> Senn HD 650.

Thank you in advance!

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #506 of 645
  Hello,

Currently I have Yahama RX-V371 receiver and in 3 day I should get Sennheiser HD 650.
Now, I know that the Yamaha is low budget piece of crap, so I am looking for alternatives.

I want to ask you whether Creative G5 is comparable in pure music audio quality to amp/dac combos like O2+ODAC and Schitt's Modi/Magni?
I absolutely don't care about the sound card's abilities in term of games, surround and what not. I will be using it only for listening to HQ music and that's all!

My setup is: 24/96 FLAC vinyl rips played on foobar2000 (with ASAPI) on Windows 10 -> Yahama RX-V371 (for the time being) / <the new hardware I'm going to get> -> Senn HD 650.

Thank you in advance!

There really is no point in buying the G5 if you're going to use it for music only. Both Schiit and ODAC are much better as far as price/performance ratio goes.

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #508 of 645
There really is no point in buying the G5 if you're going to use it for music only. Both Schiit and ODAC are much better as far as price/performance ratio goes.

Unless they've changed the Modi's sound (USB or Optical modi, I haven't heard the Multibit upgraded Modi), I would actually disagree with you and say as a DAC it is on par with the DAC in the G5 or Omni, after A/B testing them. I had a chance to hear the ODAC, but for some reason it just wouldn't work on my PC (and I know it was a working ODAC because the people before and after me on the tour got it working). I have heard the Schiit Vali and quite liked that (for the $120 original price), but I haven't heard the Magni or the 2nd versions of both these amps.

Considering that it includes an amp and a DAC that is equivalent or FWIR equivalent, I would say the Creative E5 has the better price/performance ratio than any you mentioned because it can serve as a portable, does decent as a desktop too, can connect to and enhance almost any source (PC, PS4, TV, Smartphone, Bluetooth), can act as a bridge to send a digital signal from a mobile device to a beastly Optical input DAC (great to bring to CanJams!), and have pretty great sound in all those situations makes it a strong recommendation.

Personally, the differences between the G5 and E5 make the increased cost of the E5 worth it to me, if I want to use PC-only the Omni 5.1 costs less, the G5 mostly suits a very narrow group of people inbetween those groups.

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #509 of 645
Unless they've changed the Modi's sound (USB or Optical modi, I haven't heard the Multibit upgraded Modi), I would actually disagree with you and say as a DAC it is on par with the DAC in the G5 or Omni, after A/B testing them. I had a chance to hear the ODAC, but for some reason it just wouldn't work on my PC (and I know it was a working ODAC because the people before and after me on the tour got it working). I have heard the Schiit Vali and quite liked that (for the $120 original price), but I haven't heard the Magni or the 2nd versions of both these amps.

Considering that it includes an amp and a DAC that is equivalent or FWIR equivalent, I would say the Creative E5 has the better price/performance ratio than any you mentioned because it can serve as a portable, does decent as a desktop too, can connect to and enhance almost any source (PC, PS4, TV, Smartphone, Bluetooth), can act as a bridge to send a digital signal from a mobile device to a beastly Optical input DAC (great to bring to CanJams!), and have pretty great sound in all those situations makes it a strong recommendation.

Personally, the differences between the G5 and E5 make the increased cost of the E5 worth it to me, if I want to use PC-only the Omni 5.1 costs less, the G5 mostly suits a very narrow group of people inbetween those groups.

Well, Schiit just released Fulla 2. Wonder how this one sounds. May be an alternative to odac and g5.

Dec 7, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #510 of 645
Well, Schiit just released Fulla 2. Wonder how this one sounds. May be an alternative to odac and g5.

Well, it definitely has less than half the amp power of the G5, they both are USB powered so transportable not portable, I usually like AKM DACs like the one in the Fulla 2, the G5 comes with configuration and EQ software that works independently of any music player or app/game, and aesthetic differences. Schiit gear (especially their amps) generally is tuned for a neutral or cold house sound.

I think the Fulla 2 will sell fast, but then people will realise it lacks power for full size headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back