Crazy but true story of how this pauper got the girl and hifi equipment...Where there's a will, there is a way even for the poor hifiman >:D
Mar 6, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #16 of 109
no...haha

Gave me quiet a chuckle :]
Whatever, the case, you've won us over.
There's a certain amount of envy and satisfaction on your accomplishments, I'm sure most people who've read this will remember you for that :p
Just like those purple grados.
Best wishes!

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #18 of 109
Hyogen, I have to be honest with you. You both...make a damn good couple, and that is not a compliment, it's the truth. Your whole story made me warm inside, I'm glad you got the girl of your dreams with no hesitation (after seeing she went into to your store that is). All I got to say is, please do NOT indulge yourself with more knowledge of the audio department or you'll feel like you want more. I'm already struck by this illness and I have to tame the impulsive beast to buy other earphones/headphones. Btw, good luck with the finals, I bet you'll do above average with this improved commitment for education. I sure hope I speak for most of us that we would LOVE for your wife's reaction to your purchases, I'd laugh if she has her mouth wide opened!

Quote:
haha, that's cool.  are you both korean?  Dang.....we Koreans are supposed to be diligent, disciplined, and very studious... I'm none of those :'(

I sure love to see EVERY SINGLE person like that then, forget diversity! Let's just have the same similar stereotype for everyone! *not rude saracasm I hope* You are different, and I LOVE that about you, as long as you have your heart set to actually graduating AND keeping your true self close to you, you're going to be better than some of the koreans that ARE all those adjectives you set out and more so.

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #19 of 109

Quote:
Quote:
haha, that's cool.  are you both korean?  Dang.....we Koreans are supposed to be diligent, disciplined, and very studious... I'm none of those :'( 

Nope.  I'm the Seoul man of the house.  The other half is from Hong Kong.

I hope that doesn't put you in a much more difficult position than I'm in...  There is a reason why many Korean women get "stolen" by Chinese men...!  You might be the only one who gets this :p 

Quote:
Quote:
no...haha

Gave me quiet a chuckle :]
Whatever, the case, you've won us over.
There's a certain amount of envy and satisfaction on your accomplishments, I'm sure most people who've read this will remember you for that :p
Just like those purple grados.
Best wishes!

Thank you.  It's really awesome and actually quite rare to get such a warm receiving.  I had always had the preconceived notion that audiophiles were snobs :)  Every experience I've had so far on this board has been quite the opposite. 

Quote:
Much better than those purple Grados.

Really nice, sweet story.

Thank you.  If anything good were to come out of this thread, I hope someone else can find what their destiny/calling is.  I was searching for a long time--heck, from when I was a first grader I would crush really hard on a girl and be crazily infatuated.  I spent the next 15 years of my life in school trying to get one huge crush after another to like me (quite hard especially if you're really shy and one of the only asians at school -_-).  Little did I know my dream girl would walk right into my life one day.  I truly believe not a single one of us is an accident stemming back from an amoeba.  One of the classes I'm retaking right now is General Biology, and I know Creationists classically use the human eye as evidence of the existence of a higher being, but take the ear for example--this being an audiophile forum..  :)  It's a marvel of engineering...and I'm sure we're all grateful that we can appreciate and are more discerning of sound quality. 

Perhaps now I've overstepped my welcome and you all are running for your pitchforks.  :p  My wife is buddhist, by the way. 

Looking forward to getting to know you guys more as well since I've fileted my whole life's story out.  Perhaps in several years I'll have more means, but hopefully will never forget what it took to get my $214 DT880s! 

One more thing I forgot to mention is that about a couple months before I meet my wife, I started taking piano lessons.  Everything I am playing on my youtube including the proposal song that I wrote is a product of 5 hours of lessons from a really great piano instructor.  Before I met my wife, PIANO was what I felt like was my long lost calling...I have found few things more satisfying and enjoyable as sitting down and playing songs that actually sound good and are easy to play.  I haven't taken any lessons since, but plan on it.  I can also just improve by practicing.  If you're no longer a kid, obviously it's gonna be hard for you to pick up an instrument.  Learn CHORDAL PIANO.  It's so easy.  Pretty much muscle memory.  I've heard of the Suzuki method, but I'm serious...find someone who can teach you chordal piano and you'll be able to play ANY song you want in no time.  It's the same as learning guitar chords and playing from a "fake book", except easier because you don't have to press down on strings with awkward hand positions like on the guitar.  Anyone who knows music should be able to teach it.  After maybe 2 hours of lessons and just a couple hours of practice, you will be well on your way.  The average person who has never played piano will never know that you're just a beginner player.  =)

Basically all I'm doing for most of my piano songs are playing the 3 note chord in the root position and just improvising a little with sus2 and sus4 keys.  Simplest example is the C chord.  You play C and G in left hand (I & V keys) and then on the right you play C, E, G (I, III, and V keys).  Csus2 and Csus4 is just playing the II or  IV key with the right hand.  So like CDEG (I, II, III, V) or CEFG (I,III,IV, V). 

This requires no musical talent, I promise.  :D

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #20 of 109
That is a pretty awesome story.  Gives single guys like me a bit of hope that there is someone out there :p

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #21 of 109
Oh there's always a time we can get a girl. Can we wait? I don't know, but I've not a worry if I'm single, my strict rules for my dream girl is...well..harsh. That's why I have this "oh she doesn't like me? whatever" attitude. I used to have the feeling of infatuation, it is declining every year.

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #22 of 109

Quote:
That is a pretty awesome story.  Gives single guys like me a bit of hope that there is someone out there :p

Thank you.  Don't stop believin' :D  My post actually was just gonna go into how I paid for my headphones and stuff with the little means that I had, and the small window of opportunity that I had, but it's no secret I tend to get on a roll and then start writing wayyy too much info.  I'm glad it turned out to be a good thing in this case :)

Quote:
Hyogen, I have to be honest with you. You both...make a damn good couple, and that is not a compliment, it's the truth. Your whole story made me warm inside, I'm glad you got the girl of your dreams with no hesitation (after seeing she went into to your store that is). All I got to say is, please do NOT indulge yourself with more knowledge of the audio department or you'll feel like you want more. I'm already struck by this illness and I have to tame the impulsive beast to buy other earphones/headphones. Btw, good luck with the finals, I bet you'll do above average with this improved commitment for education. I sure hope I speak for most of us that we would LOVE for your wife's reaction to your purchases, I'd laugh if she has her mouth wide opened!

Quote:

I sure love to see EVERY SINGLE person like that then, forget diversity! Let's just have the same similar stereotype for everyone! *not rude saracasm I hope* You are different, and I LOVE that about you, as long as you have your heart set to actually graduating AND keeping your true self close to you, you're going to be better than some of the koreans that ARE all those adjectives you set out and more so.

Thanks so much for the encouraging words.  Someone like me really takes this stuff to heart for good and negative criticism for the bad.  I'm trying to have more of an internal locus of control, as it's been pretty external my entire life...I have been a person made/broken by my circumstances.  I really should get back to studying right now as I type this.  I tried to quit head-fi cold-turkey about a week and half ago as soon as I bought my headphones.  I just couldn't.  I'll try not to keep expanding my knowledge and acquiring an increasingly higher and expensive taste in equipment...... 

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #23 of 109

Quote:
Thank you.  Don't stop believin' :D  My post actually was just gonna go into how I paid for my headphones and stuff with the little means that I had, and the small window of opportunity that I had, but it's no secret I tend to get on a roll and then start writing wayyy too much info.  I'm glad it turned out to be a good thing in this case :)

Thanks so much for the encouraging words.  Someone like me really takes this stuff to heart for good and negative criticism for the bad.  I'm trying to have more of an internal locus of control, as it's been pretty external my entire life...I have been a person made/broken by my circumstances.  I really should get back to studying right now as I type this.  I tried to quit head-fi cold-turkey about a week and half ago as soon as I bought my headphones.  I just couldn't.  I'll try not to keep expanding my knowledge and acquiring an increasingly higher and expensive taste in equipment...... 

You are welcome, I'm similar to that kind of feeling as well, then I try to change my person depending how people say I am. For the better of course, I sure hope you stay made well together. No worries, it's good you did this little thread, it gives people hope like daigo said! I also wanted to leave headfi, but there are factors that make me come back unfortunately! For the knowledge comment I made, hehe...go at a good pace, at least for the moment, you got the good dt880s, ENJOY THEM MAN!!! Hope it's as comfy as people say.

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #24 of 109
Very nice story, and an effective distraction from class work of my own 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #28 of 109
Hello Hyogen,

I'm glad you're at peace and found your love of you life!

It sounds like to me, you're a person with great ability to overcome the odds!

I believe knowledge is power, nothing wrong about wanting learn more but you must also have balance! that is the key my friend!

Balancing out all your areas in life can be difficult but done correctly you will find yourself one day feeling 'Full'. Not wanting nor going without just content!

Can I ask, what song with you use to describe the both of you?!

It can only be one song but it should make for an interesting discussion based on your decision!

Kind regards,

P.s I love the photo's!

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #29 of 109
Quote:
Hello Hyogen,

I'm glad you're at peace and found your love of you life!

It sounds like to me, you're a person with great ability to overcome the odds!

I believe knowledge is power, nothing wrong about wanting learn more but you must also have balance! that is the key my friend!

Balancing out all your areas in life can be difficult but done correctly you will find yourself one day feeling 'Full'. Not wanting nor going without just content!

Can I ask, what song with you use to describe the both of you?!

It can only be one song but it should make for an interesting discussion based on your decision!

Kind regards,

P.s I love the photo's!

I have 5 chapters of Ochem to learn and master in the next few days.  I hope this is not an obstacle that I will not be able to overcome.  I have really let the feeling of being overwhelmed by the material freeze me in my tracks.  MUST get on it right now.  

As for a song that describes us/our story...  If I had to pick just one, it would have to be I Knew I Loved You by Savage Garden.  There are a couple others that come immediately to mind..., If I Never Knew You - Jon Secada/Shanice,  Beauty and the Beast - Celine Dion/Peabo Bryson, You Raise Me Up - Josh Groban, Because You Loved Me - Celine Dion.    All really cheesy, sappy songs...  -_-

I changed the 2 stock pictures into a real photo since I picked up my dad's guitar today.  

Mar 8, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #30 of 109

Nicely done! Can't deny that feeling you get from enjoying the dividends of 2 weeks' hard work.
I was under the impression that the Droid RAZR was your wife's welcome-home gift. May as well stash the extra $300 for a future purchase. :wink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyogen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seoul National University (#1 college in Korea...ask any Korean--it's harder to get into than Harvard, especially for a girl). 

Just remember, admissions rate isn't an accurate indicator of education quality. Otherwise, IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) would be the best by a very, very large margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back