Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Aug 7, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #5,703 of 12,347
Yup you definitely can. I actually just bought an adapter off of Ebay a while back and the 6SN7's sound really really nice.

There's a whole post on the Bottlehead forums on how to actually rewire your input socket with an 8 pin socket for people who want to exclusively use 6SN7's.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #5,704 of 12,347
I always ask and wondering, how does Crack sound with Modi or Odac. I buy both to answer my own question. I think it's my end game already. But Modi mainly connected for my Crack due to it's better appearance.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #5,705 of 12,347
I think their site is down.Thanks!

We are making some changes to the site that are pretty involved. There will be some disruption here and there. The site itself is up, but the forum is in maintenance at the moment.

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #5,707 of 12,347
Yeah sorry didn't see that you were also asking about using a 6SN7 in the power tube socket, definitely don't stick a 6SN7 in there.

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #5,708 of 12,347
  I always ask and wondering, how does Crack sound with Modi or Odac. I buy both to answer my own question. I think it's my end game already. But Modi mainly connected for my Crack due to it's better appearance.

Out of interest, how would you compare the sound of the Modi vs the Odac?

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #5,709 of 12,347
The odac was the better sounding of the two for me. There was a natural uncolored presentation coming from the odac but the modi was a little thin for me...ymmv

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #5,710 of 12,347
 6SN7 does work for both input/output tubes i used both of them at once(Input 6SN7 output 6SN7)but i need to turn the volume a bit higher than my usual setting which is around quarter turn but with 6SN7 on both sockets volume is set in between quarter and half mark.It does work but there is nothing to wow about and the amp runs cooler.

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #5,711 of 12,347
Hi,
   I replaced the pot with the attenuator and i have a concern about my resistance reading for T13 instead of reading up like how it was with the stock pot.Now it reads backwards then reads back up again from 22 meg counting down then when it reach 270 ohms mark it start to read up again.Is this normal if you used a attenuator?Thanks!

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #5,712 of 12,347
I don't think the pot will have any effect on that reading.  What your trying to measure is the 270k bleeder resistor to discharge the power supply but some meters have trouble with this as the meter itself starts to charge the capacitors while testing.

Check the center pin of the two RCA inputs read ~100k ohms, and the grounds read as close to 0 ohms as your meter can read and you should be good to go.

Also if you are using an attenuator like the Valab make sure the grounds on each side of the attenuator are joined together.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #5,713 of 12,347
  I don't think the pot will have any effect on that reading.  What your trying to measure is the 270k bleeder resistor to discharge the power supply but some meters have trouble with this as the meter itself starts to charge the capacitors while testing.

Check the center pin of the two RCA inputs read ~100k ohms, and the grounds read as close to 0 ohms as your meter can read and you should be good to go.

Also if you are using an attenuator like the Valab make sure the grounds on each side of the attenuator are joined together.

I just measured those RCA jacks they are 101K for both centre pin and 0 on the ground i double checked my resistance and voltage reading and there was  no changes from the last time i did checked after the build only thing is that T13 it did not read like that the first time i measured or i could be wrong and yes i solder both ground for the attenuator I think i got rip-off according to the ebay vendor this attenuator is Dual stereo(see picture).Now it's installed it sounds like i lost a little bit of BASS and sound compressed.Is this what happened if you install MONO isntead of STERO?THANK YOU!

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #5,714 of 12,347
 I don't usually believed in Burn-in except for tubes but for this Attenuator the sound improved over one hour period i was playing it without listening,Then i picked up the HP and give it a listen the compressed sound disappeared compared when i just installed it and listened to it i hate the PoS but now i changed my mind it's actually not that bad no more slight channel  imbalance i used to hear and the background is even quieter.Whatever this thing is STEREO or MONO it's not that bad.
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #5,715 of 12,347

Out of interest, how would you compare the sound of the Modi vs the Odac?

Bottlehead Crack DAC pairing comparison:

E-DAC:
- Noticeable airy in vocal oriented song. Natural timbre and brighter than Modi but not thin. Sometimes can be too bright when involving sharp sound instrument (eg; cymbals) and due to the recording it self. Definitely clean and detail than Modi. Wider soundstage with awesome instrument separation. Relaxed but not too laid back. Fast and punchy bass, but not as low like Modi.

Modi:
- A little warmer than EDAC but not in warm sounding category. Controlled high and able to tame the bright E-DAC issue. A bit "blanketed" when A/B with EDAC. Less detail and smaller soundstage. Good instrument separation and highlighting the singer. More forward and energetic than E-DAC. Punchier and lower bass extension. A bit of coloration at mids.

Verdict:
- I will rate E-DAC is 9/10 and Modi is 7/10 in audio performances, based on my sound preferences. I dare to say they are noticeable different to my ear. E-DAC is clean, detail, relax and airy. Modi got a tamed high, colored mids, forward sounding and extra bass. Neither of this two is warm, thin, or dark. Design and value wise, definitely falls to Modi. And I use Modi as my main DAC because it looks better on my table but I do miss the detail and clean sound of E-DAC.

Epiphany Acoustics E-DAC (ODAC)/ Schiit Modi
Bottlehead Crack (Speedball)
Sennheiser HD600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back