Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #4,051 of 12,347
I was trying to troll the gallery for inspiration.  
I've seen a couple of builds in the past that featured all-metal cabinets.  If I build one, I think I'd like to try an anodized or enameled case to match my banana yellow Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable.  ....it's not for everyone, but it certainly is eye catching.  

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #4,052 of 12,347
I've seen a couple of builds in the past that featured all-metal cabinets.  If I build one, I think I'd like to try an anodized or enameled case to match my banana yellow Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable.  ....it's not for everyone, but it certainly is eye catching.  

I just ordered my carbon in blue. Can't wait! Also ordered a Cambridge Audio Azur 551p phono preamp

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #4,054 of 12,347
I just ordered my carbon in blue. Can't wait! Also ordered a Cambridge Audio Azur 551p phono preamp

I don't have a big vinyl collection yet - I grew up on CD's.  I got the debut carbon as an xmas gift and I'm loving it.  I've had lots of phone digging through the used albums at the record store and finding the occasional gem.
I'm using a Bellari VP 530 pre amp right now - it's got to go.  I like the fact that I can drive my headphones through it and I wanted to tinker with the USB output.  ...it's neat (and cheap) - but certainly not an audiophile piece gear. I've been eyeballing the Eros pre-amp kit as an upgrade.  (must remind myself to do only one project at a time!)

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #4,055 of 12,347
Part of me hopes some ones head will be on the chopping block for the loss of what is a valuable pictorial resource for anyone interested in building a Bottlehead amp. 

My more rational side says its just a few pictures and with a little time they will be replaced by new ones. However I sincerely hope there is still a chance they can get some of them back.  

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #4,056 of 12,347
I don't have a big vinyl collection yet - I grew up on CD's.  I got the debut carbon as an xmas gift and I'm loving it.  I've had lots of phone digging through the used albums at the record store and finding the occasional gem.
I'm using a Bellari VP 530 pre amp right now - it's got to go.  I like the fact that I can drive my headphones through it and I wanted to tinker with the USB output.  ...it's neat (and cheap) - but certainly not an audiophile piece gear. I've been eyeballing the Eros pre-amp kit as an upgrade.  (must remind myself to do only one project at a time!)

I wanted the Bellari, but it was more expensive. I'm interested in the Reduction as well

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #4,057 of 12,347

Why not just paint the alloy plate and wood enclosure. Some wood sealer and some automotive highbuild primer and you would be good to go with a top coat, the choice of automotive paints is endless and normally easy to find local and inexpensive for base colors.

Spray it all yellow then tape out a chequered pattern and spray black over the top you could even do the turn table at the same time so they matched.  Just throwing an idea out there.

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #4,058 of 12,347
See - that's why I've been bummed that the images on the bottlehead forum are messed up.  I've been trying to troll their forum for case mod ideas - but you can't really do that right now.  
I hadn't considered sealing the wood and painting it.  It's a good idea though.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #4,059 of 12,347
  See - that's why I've been bummed that the images on the bottlehead forum are messed up.  I've been trying to troll their forum for case mod ideas - but you can't really do that right now.  
I hadn't considered sealing the wood and painting it.  It's a good idea though.

I suggest you get a yellow top plate with a black bell and then stain the wood with some ebony stain.  To finish it off put some varnish or poly or whatever to get some gloss on the wood.  

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #4,060 of 12,347
IMHO GEC 6AS7G is THE tube for the Crack, beats the TS 5998 in clarity (but for T90's which are a bit bright TS 5998 is perfect match).

I'd say just the opposite. As compared to ordinary 6as7(g)s and 6080s, the 5998, 7236 and 7802 have higher gain and higher transconductance, the latter of which lowers an OTL headamp's output impedance. As one would expect, this tends to make the sound a little brighter, faster and bass a little tighter. Ordinary 6as7g's and 6080's, including the much hyped GECs, raise output impedance and are a little be more mellow on the top end and a little fatter at the bottom end due to minor bass bloom. As described in an article on Pete Millet's site (http://www.pmillett.com/Wheatfield/rolling.pdf , see bottom of page 2), "The 5998, 7236, and 6528 have different characteristics than the 6AS7 and 6080 tubes, which lower the output impedance of the HA-2. The resulting sound tends to be brighter and faster than the stock 6080. Conversely, a good old-stock 6AS7G tube can fatten the bass and give an even more "tubey" sound."

I've made similar comments in the 650 thread from time to time and think they bear repeating here. The GEC, which I do own (purchased back when they were still relatively cheap), is simply a very nice, refined 6as7g equivalent. It looks cool, but honestly, I have a couple of $10 mil spec 6080's that arguably sound just as good. The hype surrounding this tube has reached the point of absurdity. Even skylab, who was head-fi's original proponent of the GEC tubes, has urged other head-fiers not to buy them at their present inflated prices - unless of course, you are buying for the sake of collecting, and not because you expect $200+ worth of improvement to your sound quality. The only poster who has repeatedly made statements to the contrary (no one in this thread) recently admitted having purchased a number of the GEC tubes on the cheap and then, after prolifically posting about them as the be all end all, selling them on head-fi at current ebay prices. The mods ultimately put a stop to it, but anyone considering buying a GEC tube should know the full story and approach that decision with due caution.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #4,061 of 12,347
I made the statement based on my own experience with the Bttl Hd Crak + HD 800 / T1 / T90. I have the following tubes :

TS 5998
GEC 6080
WE 421A
GE 6080
GEC 6AS7G
Mullard 6080

But yes, the GEC 6AS7G is not the best value in that list from a SQ / Price perspective. It is only for crazy / obsessive people who chase SQ with disregard to price value.
biggrin.gif
IMHO.

THe GEC synergy with HD 800 is
eek.gif
. Was listening to HD 800 with the GEC + TS 6SN7 combo on the Crack last night, time flew & before I realised it was 2 pm & I got only 5 hours of sleep. Feeling so F@#%*d at work right now. Damm this hobby
rolleyes.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #4,062 of 12,347
Guess we hear it differently, but I do think the science bears considering. All four of my 5998s, my 7236, and my 7802 (quite rare, and the highest transconductance), are brighter and tighter in the bottom end than my lower transconductance/higher impedance GEC 6as7g and my pile of various 6080s. Agree that the GEC is nice and transparent. I just find its appearance and price point to be far more remarkable than its sonics with my hd800s, 650s and dt880s. This has held true for me over the course of three plus years with my crack and irrespective of various mods along the way. I reach for lower transconductance tubes to tame aggressive trebles.

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #4,063 of 12,347
 Maybe the difference in opinion is because we prefer different sound signatures ? I see that you like the HD 650, but I sold it within a month as I found that it made music too lifeless / dead / boring for me, it was too dark for my taste.

But I didn't have the Crack when I had the HD 650, maybe I would have liked them if I tried the with the Crack.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #4,064 of 12,347
The TS 5998 and E80cc are my Cracks daily drive. I save the GEC and Osram tubes (they are the same) for premium listening session when the house is quiet and I am able to relax and just focus on the music.

I also feel the GEC is more refined in the mids, upper mids and treble. Though I really only use it for one genre of music if you like artists like Eva Cassidy, The Wailin Jennys, Cara Dillon, Simon & Garfunkel, Melody Gardot, Alison Krauss etc then the GEC6as7g is for me the stand out tube. I find the Vocals are just stunning.

I have seen Cara Dillon perform a number of times now small venues and from only a few meters away. After listening via my crack soon after the GEC and T1 nailed it big time I was simply amazed at how well the music was reproduced when compared with the live performance.

I am absolutely on the same page as Skeptic when it comes to the costs and that the price performance ratio is out of kilter. but that's just supply and demand and no different to spending $1000 on a interconnect. As per the previous topic you can get some good deals on tubes, over the last couple of months there have been about a dozen or so NOS TS 5998  going for $100 a pair and a few GEC gas7g brown base's for around the $75 mark.

The real performance stars are the better sounding 6080's which often slip under the radar and go for only a few dollars. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back