Cozoy Astrapi "Made for Apple" Portable DAC/amp Impressions/Discussion Thread
Apr 13, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #31 of 82
The reason I put this review up was that good or bad it is better to read all reviews before pulling the trigger.

All good stuff. Especially for a new product with varying information passed around, it's important to understand the product and make sure it's the one for you. 

A pretty well rounded product with an excellent form factor. And remember: USB 2.0 Only!!

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #32 of 82
  Thinking of the Cozoy Astrapi for my S5, while listening at home.  I wouldn't take it out of the house, as I don't like bulk, and extra cables.  Anyways, would the Astrapi work for Stock Lollipop 5.0 and PowerAmp?

I've used the Astrapi on an S5 with Tidal streaming. 

It should work natively with most apps. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #34 of 82

All good stuff. Especially for a new product with varying information passed around, it's important to understand the product and make sure it's the one for you. 

A pretty well rounded product with an excellent form factor. And remember: USB 2.0 Only!!

It works with USB 3.0 on Macs.

Do you know when the internal DSP is used? Is it used with the OKYNO HF Player on iOS, or Poweramp on Android? Or do both of those downsample before sending it to the Astrapi the way BitPerfect does on OS X?

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #35 of 82

It works with USB 3.0 on Macs.

Do you know when the internal DSP is used? Is it used with the OKYNO HF Player on iOS, or Poweramp on Android? Or do both of those downsample before sending it to the Astrapi the way BitPerfect does on OS X?

Everything that pass through the Astrapi will be filtered by its own algorithm, while USB 3.0 can be okay if it has ''self adjust'', OR if you disable usb3.0 function in bios every 3.0 plug can work :wink: Just a simple tweak.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #36 of 82

Everything that pass through the Astrapi will be filtered by its own algorithm, while USB 3.0 can be okay if it has ''self adjust'', OR if you disable usb3.0 function in bios every 3.0 plug can work :wink: Just a simple tweak.

What I mean is what is being sent to the Astrapi? Is everything looking at it and saying it only supports 44.1/16 and nothing higher than that is ever sent?

Also, to EmpJ, are you able to contact COZOY to get updated spec info? On Facebook they seem confused as to why all the sellers say this outputs 192/24. Where did that old information come from?

1. Shigeki Mori I felt that Astrapi's sound is very smooth and clear as if hearing the high-resolution sound. (I also have some native high-resolution portable DACs such as nano iDSD, DacMagic XS, ALO The Key, FiiO E07K, and so on.)

I think DSP tuning is the most key feature and advantage of Astrapi.
    But inaccurate description of distributors may cause misconception. 
    I hope that more accurate explanation will be provided by sellers.
    April 8 at 8:49am

Cozoy Apologies for that, but sometimes that is out of our control and we will try our best to make sure official distributors are putting right info on their sites. Anyhow we are 100.5% sure our sound won't dissapoint, and remember to try its lineout function, max out the vol and get an amp hook up to it!! 
    1 · April 8 at 8:51am · Edited

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #37 of 82

What I mean is what is being sent to the Astrapi? Is everything looking at it and saying it only supports 44.1/16 and nothing higher than that is ever sent?

Also, to EmpJ, are you able to contact COZOY to get updated spec info? On Facebook they seem confused as to why all the sellers say this outputs 192/24. Where did that old information come from?

1. Shigeki Mori I felt that Astrapi's sound is very smooth and clear as if hearing the high-resolution sound. (I also have some native high-resolution portable DACs such as nano iDSD, DacMagic XS, ALO The Key, FiiO E07K, and so on.)

I think DSP tuning is the most key feature and advantage of Astrapi.
    But inaccurate description of distributors may cause misconception. 
    I hope that more accurate explanation will be provided by sellers.
    April 8 at 8:49am

Cozoy Apologies for that, but sometimes that is out of our control and we will try our best to make sure official distributors are putting right info on their sites. Anyhow we are 100.5% sure our sound won't dissapoint, and remember to try its lineout function, max out the vol and get an amp hook up to it!! 
    1 · April 8 at 8:51am · Edited

That actually comes from the misunderstanding of software support instead of hardware decoding, which is stated 24/192 is supported when the software supports it. In fact > half of the daps and related machines faces the same problem, before someone really do ''native decoding''. Software decode is software decode anyways 
redface.gif
 And what is transferred is out of scope, who knows what is done within the chips even it writes native and bit to bit etc....

while a fact to note is, under low power it may not be wise to utilize 24/192+ native decoding, where jitter and insufficient power could hinder the sound.... Sad thing is emphasis on specs are really too much and ones should really listen, there are many more variables which affect sound rather than the chips and files, and implementation is also a key : (

my two cents

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #38 of 82

I'm sure all the dealers received the same original information from Cozoy. And I'm sure that other dealers did not make this information up themselves either. 

I will contact Cozoy for an official new update on the specs. 

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #39 of 82
I'm still feeling my way around here and posted a review on the Astrapi which maybe in the wrong place. I'm very pleased with the unit and have put a lot of hours into it already streaming from TIDAL both at home out of the MacBook Pro and out of the IPhone usually into really inexpensive T-Peos D-202Ns which provide a "fun" sound and impress the heck out of me at $36. Almost prefer them to my Shure 535s especially when it comes to causal listening of pop songs.

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #41 of 82
Thanks for following up on the spec info. However I'm still confused as to why CTC Audio still says 24/192 at all. Can't all DACs play hi-res files if some software has already converted it for them?

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #43 of 82
Wouldn't you know it, my Astrapi is getting delivered today, and I wake up with an ear infection.  Arrgghh!  So it'll be a few days before I can give some initial and extended use impressions of the device, but I will post up a review.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #44 of 82
Okay, so I've had two hours with the Cozoy.  There are plenty of pics in the review threads, so I'm not posting any here.  I will say, it's small and very light.  Portability is not a factor here.  With my Samsung S5, I don't feel the "WOW" factor that I was hoping for.  In the two hours I played with it, I switched back and forth between the headset input, and Cozoy a few times, and listened to the same songs over and over.  I actually had better volume output from my phone then I did with the Cozoy.  Actual sound performance was minimally different.  I might give the Cozoy the slight advantage in this, but really, it's hard to say.  I volume matched, as best I could, and listened.  IMO, the Cozoy actually softened the bass performance, but brought out the mids just a little, giving a more neutral sound.  For most, this isn't a bad thing, but I'm a self-professed basshead, so softening of bass is not so great for me.  I used PowerAmp as my player of choice on my Samsung S5, and the Cozoy had no difficulty working with it, or my phone.  5 seconds, and I was up and running.  I could hear the difference as I switched EQ profiles, played with pre-amp settings with no difference between the phone and Cozoy.  In the end, I found that I had the volume for the Cozoy maxed out, to LO output, and I still had two clicks on the phone to go louder.  I'm currently running a stock phone with Lollipop 5.0, so the Cozoy had no issues with interface, and I didn't need any special programs to get sound out of it.  

All over the box, is plastered the "Made for iPhone" information, so maybe iPhone users would experience something different from the Cozoy.  I don't use my computer to listen to music, it's either the phone or I stream music over my network to my receiver, so I didn't try the computer connections, and I didn't try my wife's iPhone.  

All in all, a disappointing experience.

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #45 of 82
Okay, so I've had two hours with the Cozoy.  There are plenty of pics in the review threads, so I'm not posting any here.  I will say, it's small and very light.  Portability is not a factor here.  With my Samsung S5, I don't feel the "WOW" factor that I was hoping for.  In the two hours I played with it, I switched back and forth between the headset input, and Cozoy a few times, and listened to the same songs over and over.  I actually had better volume output from my phone then I did with the Cozoy.  Actual sound performance was minimally different.  I might give the Cozoy the slight advantage in this, but really, it's hard to say.  I volume matched, as best I could, and listened.  IMO, the Cozoy actually softened the bass performance, but brought out the mids just a little, giving a more neutral sound.  For most, this isn't a bad thing, but I'm a self-professed basshead, so softening of bass is not so great for me.  I used PowerAmp as my player of choice on my Samsung S5, and the Cozoy had no difficulty working with it, or my phone.  5 seconds, and I was up and running.  I could hear the difference as I switched EQ profiles, played with pre-amp settings with no difference between the phone and Cozoy.  In the end, I found that I had the volume for the Cozoy maxed out, to LO output, and I still had two clicks on the phone to go louder.  I'm currently running a stock phone with Lollipop 5.0, so the Cozoy had no issues with interface, and I didn't need any special programs to get sound out of it.  

All over the box, is plastered the "Made for iPhone" information, so maybe iPhone users would experience something different from the Cozoy.  I don't use my computer to listen to music, it's either the phone or I stream music over my network to my receiver, so I didn't try the computer connections, and I didn't try my wife's iPhone.  

All in all, a disappointing experience.

thanks for the input.

the good and bad thing, performance is highly dependent on phone's output (voltage and quality of signal) so diff. phones sound differently :)

do try with iphone tho, and dont put very sensitive iem with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back