Cozoy Astrapi "Made for Apple" Portable DAC/amp Impressions/Discussion Thread
Aug 26, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #76 of 82
Oppo is nice, no doubt. A little big and pricey for my tastes. But beggars can't be choosers. 

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #77 of 82
[/B]
Nice. I didn't care for their use of overdone flowery terms for the sound quality, but I guess a slight U-shaped sound signature would summarise my sonic finding.
Seriously....just what?

[rule]
In other news, I discovered this today, which probably confirms that the Astrapi doesn't work with legacy 30-pn devices.

Hi, I'm completely new here, I was hoping to find out if it's possible to pair the lancea with an iPhone4 ( 30pin ) ? The cozoy website makes it seem as if you use a 30pin/lightning adapter with the astrapi it might work ? But as the photo states, the combo doesn't seem to work with the astrapi
I haven't been able to find any other info confirming that either work with a 30 pin adapter.
I would really like to buy the lancea, but it would be pointless at this time if I can't use it with my iPhone 4

Thanks for any info in advance

Sep 16, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #78 of 82
Perhaps it might be worth using a the 30cm microUSB output from the Astrapi to the microUSB input of the 'Apple iPhone Micro USB Adapter' (MD099ZM/A in the UK and Europe, MD099FE/A in Asia), rather than the 1m microUSB output from the Astrapi to the full-size USB Type-A input of one half of the 'Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit' (MC531ZM/A in the UK and Europe, MC531AM/A in North America, MC531FE/B in Asia)?

"With this said, it’s important to firstly clarify that the Astrapi only accepts a Micro USB input from the host device and secondly that the list of cables includes; A single 30cm Micro USB to Lightning cable (iPhone 5 and above - in white), one 30cm Micro USB to Micro USB (Android USB OTG Compatible Devices - in white), and finally a black 1m Micro USB to USB cable. Something that is interesting is that Cozoy have said that the Astrapi ‘may’ be compatible with the old 30-Pin style Apple iDevice connector, however they do not recommend it and you will need to purchase a 30-Pin to Micro USB to check its capabilities. Unfortunately we don’t have any old 30 connector devices here so we cannot confirm this to be true. However, if we do subsequently discover that 30-pin devices are compatible, then we will come back and amend this review."

http://theproaudiowebblog.com/cozoy-astrapi-review.html

(Note: For their product codes, it seems that Apple use the suffix, ZM/A for Europe, AM/A for The United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico and FE/A for Asia Pacific. /A seems to indicate the first revision of a product, and occasionally there is a /B for a second revision.
I haven't checked the codes for the other regions:

http://www.apple.com/choose-your-country/ )

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #79 of 82
Just picked up an Astrapi and an AudioQuest Dragonfly (v1.2) to try out. Been testing with the following:

Sources: MacBook Air, iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, iPad mini 2
Headphones: PSB M4U1, Etymotic ER-4S (IEM)
Music: Spotify 320k streaming, FLAC files played via FLAC+ on iPhone/iPad (24/96), ALAC files played via iTunes on MacBook Air (24/96)

In all cases, Astrapi sounds better than Dragonfly to my ears. More importantly ... 

Also in all cases, the very minimal increase in sound quality is not worth the additional cost and hassle of using the Astrapi. 

Just my $0.02, and subject to the limitations of how I listen to music, but figured I'd share

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #80 of 82
  I recently bought one of these out of pure curiosity to use with my iphone 6. I think it sounds great with my full size headphones above 35 ohms.
I definitely notice some additional bass, and some more richness from the mids. The gain is also surprisingly strong. 

Unfortunately, it's a different story with my iem's. The gain is so strong using it with Noble K10's and SE846's, that I can't even take the first volume step (1/16) 
without having to pull them out of my ears after a minute or so. On the bright side, this means my ears are still healthy and sensitive, but unfortunately I don't think I can use this for its intended purpose, which was to use with iem's on the go. 

I have had the same experience.  Purchased the Cozoy Astrapi for use with JH13 ciems and my iPhone 6.  A dramatic difference in clarity and high end from the normal output of the iPhone 6, however I could not use the volume buttons on the iPhone 6 to control gain, as even the lowest (1/16) gain setting was too loud for my ciems.  But, when I swept UP from the bottom of the iPhone screen to reveal the volume slider bar which I could use for a finer volume control than the iPhone volume buttons, and achieve a volume setting that was at least listenable.

I love the small size and lack of battery to charge; it didn't seem to drain the battery as much as I expected.  The clip broke off the back within weeks after purchase, but I found it to be superfluous anyway.  The lightning to micro USB cable was a bit long, so I folded it over 3 times and secured it with velcro.

Over time, I found the Cozoy Astrapi to be overly bright and fatiguing to my ears with the JH13s.  Perhaps it is a better match for on-ear and over-ear headphones, but I can't recommend for sensitive iems.

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #81 of 82
I have a cozoy astrapi paired with my iPhone 6 with my Westone W50 or Campfire Audio Lyra. I noticed that there is a slight hissing sound whenever I plug my iems into the astrapi (high output?), but when I connect the Dunu 75Ohm conductor 3.5mm jack adapter, I get a really nice buttery smooth sound with extended treble*, am I doing it right? (I'm a skinny jean wearing, carry light, light load, form factor first, sound quality second, on the go, spotify app on extreme everything, not too serious audiophile and sort of a newbie in the audiophile world).

*Might have used the wrong term for it but unsure of what term to use, might be vocals in the highs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back