Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #2,641 of 3,200
My J3 purchase turned out weird. I bought it for the superior Eq but ended up using no Eq but still not regretting the purchase due to the incredible battery life. Bit annoying how it doesn't recognize the disc number ID tag though, box sets all have to be retagged but oh well, that much I can live with. Great little player.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #2,642 of 3,200

enjoying the **** out of my J3, specially with those IEMs and also the ety MC5, not pictured.

the UI is a delight, specially coming from the teclast T51. and the Eq options and BBE are really nice pluses. and to top the cake with a cherry... +60 hours of battery life. life's good.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #2,643 of 3,200

Quote:
I'm not an expert also , but I will never use a RE-262 with my J3, they are to high impedance IEM.
You need go amp, you will get a better sound for your RE262, no more volume problem and bass bost.

Look for a FiiO amp (they are cheap) and your RE-262 will shine :)

I'm also wondering about this.  I have the RE-262s and I've been using it on my iPod Nano.  I already ordered an E17 and an LoD to go with it.

If I were to buy the J3 (or any other Cowon products), would I would be able to use my Alpen?  Because if I'm using in on the Line-Out that would be double amping.  Would that be worse?

Or am I totally missing something here?

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #2,644 of 3,200

Quote:
I'm also wondering about this.  I have the RE-262s and I've been using it on my iPod Nano.  I already ordered an E17 and an LoD to go with it.

If I were to buy the J3 (or any other Cowon products), would I would be able to use my Alpen?  Because if I'm using in on the Line-Out that would be double amping.  Would that be worse?

Or am I totally missing something here?

I'd say dont double amp. the only DAP i double amp is the clip+, and only sometimes.
but the J3 has a very nice sound, normal or eq'd, I personally use it on BBE most of the time, you dont need to amp unless you are to use very power hungry headphones.

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #2,645 of 3,200
I like the Cowon D2+ which has more power output then the J3 but the D2 doesnt look as good and doesnt have all the functions but it does have all the audio  and video.

Quote:

enjoying the **** out of my J3, specially with those IEMs and also the ety MC5, not pictured.

the UI is a delight, specially coming from the teclast T51. and the Eq options and BBE are really nice pluses. and to top the cake with a cherry... +60 hours of battery life. life's good.

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #2,646 of 3,200

Cowon D2+ has more power output and the EQ is great. I grew up adjusting the sound that I prefer.

Quote:
My J3 purchase turned out weird. I bought it for the superior Eq but ended up using no Eq but still not regretting the purchase due to the incredible battery life. Bit annoying how it doesn't recognize the disc number ID tag though, box sets all have to be retagged but oh well, that much I can live with. Great little player.

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #2,648 of 3,200
Well I had both and played the same track with the same earphones and they were not the same output. I could not put the D2 at full volume. The same happend with the S9.

Quote:
The J3 and D2/D2+ have basically the same output power, when actually measured. Cowon just wrote some random "74mW" advertising statement for the D2 on their website, which isn't true. :wink:

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #2,651 of 3,200
I'd say dont double amp. the only DAP i double amp is the clip+, and only sometimes.
but the J3 has a very nice sound, normal or eq'd, I personally use it on BBE most of the time, you dont need to amp unless you are to use very power hungry headphones.

So going by this, Im pretty much stuck on players with line outs if i want to use my E17

Bummer

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #2,652 of 3,200

Quote:
So going by this, Im pretty much stuck on players with line outs if i want to use my E17
Bummer

actually, E17 is a DAC+amp so it was designed to use with computers as sources, you can use it as a portable amp but you'll be missing out the (IMO) better part of it, the DAC part. (I have it on preorder).

if you have ipoos you could use a Line out, I'm not sure if there is a line out for the cowon j3, maybe someone here knows. I found this but no idea if it would work as a true line out.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #2,653 of 3,200

Quote:
actually, E17 is a DAC+amp so it was designed to use with computers as sources, you can use it as a portable amp but you'll be missing out the (IMO) better part of it, the DAC part. (I have it on preorder).

if you have ipoos you could use a Line out, I'm not sure if there is a line out for the cowon j3, maybe someone here knows. I found this but no idea if it would work as a true line out.

is that a line out??

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #2,654 of 3,200
It only works with video playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back