Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #2,627 of 3,200

Quote:
Doesn't need an upgrade IMO

Line-out, better mic, better music player/playlist functionality (like with the Zune), smoother interface, Wi-Fi, native AAC support, AC3 support, HD video playback with h.264 4.1 profile support (would make the video player worth something), PNG image support, BMP image support, 7-band EQ, fuller/warmer tone quality (the biggest problem actually)... 

These are all very possible in the same package as it is now although a better processor may be required (which might make it faster/smoother as well). 

Until it has line-out, PNG support (at least), and a tone that isn't so cold, the J3 not only CAN be upgraded - it SHOULD be.

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #2,628 of 3,200

Quote:
Line-out, better mic, better music player/playlist functionality (like with the Zune), smoother interface, Wi-Fi, native AAC support, AC3 support, HD video playback with h.264 4.1 profile support (would make the video player worth something), PNG image support, BMP image support, 7-band EQ, fuller/warmer tone quality (the biggest problem actually)... 

These are all very possible in the same package as it is now although a better processor may be required (which might make it faster/smoother as well). 

Until it has line-out, PNG support (at least), and a tone that isn't so cold, the J3 not only CAN be upgraded - it SHOULD be.

i read somewhere in this thread (i think), that this doesn't need line out

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #2,629 of 3,200
Just won an auction for the J3. I wish they'd make a player that had SQ and BBE+ stuff but JUST played music. They're charging ridiculous prices for stuff I couldn't care less about, but I had to switch to cowon in the end since my clip (v1) has met it's end, and I wasn't impressed enough with it to give it another shot.

I'll give my impressions once I receive. One quick question about the power output. The cowon should output more power given it's size so it should make earphones/Headphones sound better right?

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #2,630 of 3,200

Quote:
 I wish they'd make a player that had SQ and BBE+ stuff but JUST played music.

iaudio-e2.jpg

:wink:

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #2,633 of 3,200

Quote:
Well, there's always the C2, i9, i10, and a few recently discontinued ones that are smaller and have the same audio features... but the major advantage of the J3 over those is still its plethora of tactile buttons and better menu/UI system.

Yup. The only reason I went for the J3 was because tactile buttons are a must for me. Cannot understand this modern campaign companies seem to have of getting rid of the physical buttons completely and making everything touchscreen. Especially when they have silly reasons like "Too many buttons will spoil the design". On the contrary, I think lots of buttons makes something look better if done properly.

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #2,634 of 3,200

Quote:
i read somewhere in this thread (i think), that this doesn't need line out

Regardless of the player, line out adds to possible preferences.  Some people might want the same sound no matter where they go and what they're using.  And regardless, it does need line out because the J3 doesn't actually even have a proper DAC.  Therefore, it has a limited soundstage.

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #2,635 of 3,200
dropped my J3 last night. I want to ask you guys something it's kinda hard to explain in text and english is not my first language so please bear with me...

When you try to press the back part of the player with your thumb and index finger does it feel very solid-built? The side on which the volume/track buttons reside it feels very solid but on the other side close to the lock button, pressing the screen and the back doesn't seem very solid. You can hear/feel the plastic kinda etching each other (often found on cheap plastic devices) not as bad though but still manages to annoy me a bit thinking that the fall might caused it.

Now if you guys know what I mean, could you try it on your J3s (if you haven't already) and tell me if it's normal. I know there's nothing I could do if I would know if the fall caused it, but I'm really dying to know. There's no for sale J3's here in our country so I cannot compare. Thanks in advance. :/

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #2,636 of 3,200

Quote:
When you try to press the back part of the player with your thumb and index finger does it feel very solid-built?

Sounds to me like your unit was damaged when you dropped it. My player feels solid regardless of where I press on it...

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #2,637 of 3,200

Quote:
dropped my J3 last night. I want to ask you guys something it's kinda hard to explain in text and english is not my first language so please bear with me...

When you try to press the back part of the player with your thumb and index finger does it feel very solid-built? The side on which the volume/track buttons reside it feels very solid but on the other side close to the lock button, pressing the screen and the back doesn't seem very solid. You can hear/feel the plastic kinda etching each other (often found on cheap plastic devices) not as bad though but still manages to annoy me a bit thinking that the fall might caused it.

Now if you guys know what I mean, could you try it on your J3s (if you haven't already) and tell me if it's normal. I know there's nothing I could do if I would know if the fall caused it, but I'm really dying to know. There's no for sale J3's here in our country so I cannot compare. Thanks in advance. :/

Actually, I remember wondering the same thing when I first got the player.  As you said, it's not THAT noticeable, and in fact, not everyone does notice it.

I kind of dropped it in the beginning as well and was also paranoid, but logically, it obviously wasn't the reason relative to the drop.  It's cheaply made but that in particular isn't really a big problem and I haven't noticed it in a while, probably because I just stopped paying attention though.  It was on the same side for me as well.  Just don't worry about it unless there are other signs of problems.  Just to clarify though, you're talking about the top left corner of the screen pushing in a little right?  If not, sorry to have gotten your hopes up but you may in fact have damaged it then.  I at the very least don't recall any other physical problems like that with it.

Even if SOMEHOW I supposedly damaged my player in the beginning as well or just in general it somehow got damaged, it would be unlikely that it'd be in the same way as you may have.  I'm sure others have this thing as well but just aren't observant and/or are like most people and are instantly biased and in denial about whatever they spent decent money on.

But anyway, once again, don't worry about it; it's not a big deal.  Just ignore it and it's insignificant enough that you'll stop caring (and once again, that is if I understood the problem correctly).

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #2,638 of 3,200

Quote:

Actually, I remember wondering the same thing when I first got the player.  As you said, it's not THAT noticeable, and in fact, not everyone does notice it.

I kind of dropped it in the beginning as well and was also paranoid, but logically, it obviously wasn't the reason relative to the drop.  It's cheaply made but that in particular isn't really a big problem and I haven't noticed it in a while, probably because I just stopped paying attention though.  It was on the same side for me as well.  Just don't worry about it unless there are other signs of problems.  Just to clarify though, you're talking about the top left corner of the screen pushing in a little right?  If not, sorry to have gotten your hopes up but you may in fact have damaged it then.  I at the very least don't recall any other physical problems like that with it.

Even if SOMEHOW I supposedly damaged my player in the beginning as well or just in general it somehow got damaged, it would be unlikely that it'd be in the same way as you may have.  I'm sure others have this thing as well but just aren't observant and/or are like most people and are instantly biased and in denial about whatever they spent decent money on.

But anyway, once again, don't worry about it; it's not a big deal.  Just ignore it and it's insignificant enough that you'll stop caring (and once again, that is if I understood the problem correctly).

Thank you very much for your reply. You are very correct that some people might not notice it and it's almost not noticeable to others and also others can be in denial though haha. Thank you. Just to clarify too, the "not so solid built" part on mine is on the mid-bottom left, the screen just beside the hold-button. But I really think that the "not so solid built" part is not consistent, it can be in different corners on other players, heheh. Thank you for calming me down I owe you. lol. Btw my Ringke silicone case will be arriving soon and I think that would help me not notice it once I put it on. :D

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #2,640 of 3,200
I've dropped my J3 a couple of times, but the impact was not very hard which is probably why it still works like a charm, lol.

Anyway, with the stock music UI, some album art would show up and some would not even though it is present in the files and other players/computers/etc. can display them, but after installing kizune's upgrade music UI a couple weeks back, no album art shows up at all anymore, just the varying "stock" colored music note for everything.  =\
What I do wrong?  Or is it troublesome like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back