Cowboy Junkies in concert
Apr 24, 2010 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

scompton

Headphoneus Supremus
I saw the Cowboy Junkies tonight. It was a great concert especially if you like the electric stuff. They did 3 or 4 acoustic and the rest was electric.

At the end of the concert, Margo mentioned that if you subscribe to their email list you get 3 free songs. I did it and it's a big zip file with both ALAC and FLAC versions. Most of their albums are available for download for cheaper than buying the CD. My guess would be that they're lossless as well.

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 22
Very nice. I just rediscovered them a few days ago while in the process of ripping our CD collection. That China blog on the site is really interesting too - made me want to listen to some of the artists that were mentioned.

- Ed

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 22
Didn't you love the way Margo hangs so seductively over her mic! I bet they did "SWEET JANE".........mellow stuff, huh! But Great,IMO....

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 22
Sweet Jane was the last song of the encore. Great ending. Another thing that surprised me was the sounds coming out of the mandolin and pedal steel. I always thought the heavy distortion on their albums was guitar, but most of it was from the mandolin with the pedal steel on some songs. I've never seen heavily distorted, electric mandolin before.

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 22
Very nice!

It's been a few years since I last heard them in concert. They were going through a blues phase with Margo's wirey hair moshing in slow mo and I was pining for the more succinct acoustic pop stuff.

Electric distorted mandolins; violins; violas; and hybrid trumpet-violins are just superb
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 22
Going to see them on May 13th.

Thanks for getting me excited - can't wait!

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 22
I saw them last night as well at The State Theater, GREAT show!
You weren't the "jumping guy" were you?
wink.gif
I don't know what that guys deal was, but I guess he was having fun....

What did you think of Lee Harvey Osmond? They totally won me over after a song or two, and I was bummed there was an opening band when I showed up.

I am listening right now to the vinyl copy of "Trinity Revisited" I picked up for way too much at the show ($40 for a double album? c'mon... good thing I had a few $6 Stellas in me and my wife was 3 sheets to the wind by the end of the show, or I never would have paid it or gotten away with paying it).

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been listening to their new album..its smashing!
beerchug.gif

The album that's only available at concerts and on their web site? I bought it at the concert and when I got home, it didn't have the disc in it. I emailed them from their web site. They're going to send me another one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so jealous, man.
frown.gif

did they play stuff from lay it down and pale sun?
those two albums own me.

I'm not all that familiar with those. About half the concert was from the new album Renmin Park - Nomad Series, Volume 1. The encore was from Trinity, Misguided Angel and Sweet Jane.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The album that's only available at concerts and on their web site?

yup..its on their website. THey will be here in Portland too soon..Don't think Ill have the monies for it though..ooh unless i get my friend at the university radio station to get me some tix.
tongue.gif

May 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 22
Where on their website do you sign up for the 3 free downloads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back