Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Nov 1, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #797 of 5,310
SECT            Special Edition Smoke with Carbon Faceplate Twin Balanced Armature            £165  (Otterbox included)

^From the review page; I want the smoky one
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the reviews Swimsonny.

Edit:  Are all the special edition models being released on Nov. 12?

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #800 of 5,310
Got my Flex twin BA today. Medium shell, fixed bottom exit cable.
First impressions are positive, but will post thoughts and comparisons with Westone 3 and Klipsch X10's in the next day or so.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #801 of 5,310
Quote:
Got my Flex twin BA today. Medium shell, fixed bottom exit cable.
First impressions are positive, but will post thoughts and comparisons with Westone 3 and Klipsch X10's in the next day or so.

That would be handy for me at least!  Any chance of some pics to liven up the thread?

If I had to guess I'd say the flex would be a bit more balanced than the W3 and a bit more to the bottom bass of the klipsch, but we all know it won't be that simple!

Cheers

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #802 of 5,310
Just want to apologize to everyone waiting for my further detailed reviews on these. Like Phil/Cosmic Ears, I've been crazy, unexpectedly busy recently. I promise to work on the initial post and get more info up soon. But thanks to Sonny for being much faster than I am and giving people something to read!

I continue to be impressed by the Pure Plus (single BA) and even more so by the Flex twin. The Pure Plus is just a solid entry level unit all around - competitive with any single driver BA unit I've ever heard. It might give up a few things here and there - some top end sparkle to the (much more expensive) Etymotic ER4 models, and perhaps the slightest bit of low end impact to the Phonak PFE 121 with black filters. But overall, when taken as a whole, the Pure Plus gives them all a good run for the money in SQ. Add in the custom molded aspect and a similar (or lower!) price and it seems like a no brainer.

The Flex twin is more of the same but improved by another step. I prefer it to my $399 Westone AC2 dual driver customs if that tells you anything. The AC2 does bass in a more spectacular fashion but the Flex twin has a far more natural, believable sound to it. For a lot of folks, I think this is the sweet spot between price and performance in the Cosmic Ears line. But of course I haven't yet heard the triple Hybrid in any of its incarnations so we'll see how I feel after that.

Nov 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #804 of 5,310
Quote:
Just want to apologize to everyone waiting for my further detailed reviews on these. Like Phil/Cosmic Ears, I've been crazy, unexpectedly busy recently. I promise to work on the initial post and get more info up soon. But thanks to Sonny for being much faster than I am and giving people something to read!

I continue to be impressed by the Pure Plus (single BA) and even more so by the Flex twin. The Pure Plus is just a solid entry level unit all around - competitive with any single driver BA unit I've ever heard. It might give up a few things here and there - some top end sparkle to the (much more expensive) Etymotic ER4 models, and perhaps the slightest bit of low end impact to the Phonak PFE 121 with black filters. But overall, when taken as a whole, the Pure Plus gives them all a good run for the money in SQ. Add in the custom molded aspect and a similar (or lower!) price and it seems like a no brainer.

The Flex twin is more of the same but improved by another step. I prefer it to my $399 Westone AC2 dual driver customs if that tells you anything. The AC2 does bass in a more spectacular fashion but the Flex twin has a far more natural, believable sound to it. For a lot of folks, I think this is the sweet spot between price and performance in the Cosmic Ears line. But of course I haven't yet heard the triple Hybrid in any of its incarnations so we'll see how I feel after that.

Which shells do you have? Mico, medium or full?

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #806 of 5,310
Quote:
Quote:
Which shells do you have? Mico, medium or full?

Sorry, should have mentioned. My Pure models are the medium, my Flex twin is in micro.

The company claims there is a slight drop in performance between the medium and mini. I know that yours have different drivers, so you can't compare performance, but how does the isolation compare?

I'm really excited about the Twins, so I look forward to reading more of your thoughts. What other IEMs do you have for comparison? My experience with IEMs is limited, so I'm hoping you have something I've heard.

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #807 of 5,310
Quote:
The company claims there is a slight drop in performance between the medium and mini. I know that yours have different drivers, so you can't compare performance, but how does the isolation compare?

I'm really excited about the Twins, so I look forward to reading more of your thoughts. What other IEMs do you have for comparison? My experience with IEMs is limited, so I'm hoping you have something I've heard.

Don't ask project for a list of IEM's he owns! The thread will FLOOOD!!

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #808 of 5,310
Quote:
Quote:

Don't ask project for a list of IEM's he owns! The thread will FLOOOD!!

Okay, that just about answers my question, sounds like if I've heard it, he's heard it! Great, then I VERY eagerly await your thoughts!

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #809 of 5,310
Or if you are really curious take a look at projects profile (by clicking the little blue triangle next to his name).

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back