Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Jan 23, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #4,531 of 5,310
I've got the CE6P coming in soon and looking forward to it, I've currently got the JH13 Pro. Has anyone got any more comparisons between the two? Are they very similar sounding? Phil mentioned that the CE6P has a little more bass but somebody mentioned that it's a little less than the JH13.

Since no one has responded, I’ll give you some of my thoughts between the CE6P and JH13 with freqphase. Please keep in mind that I no longer own the JH13, so this is strictly from memory and notes.

The JH13 tuning is more upfront, forward and ‘exciting’ but that’s the JH house sound in a nutshell, so it gives you more of an instant wow effect. The JH13 head stage was also pretty enveloping and surrounding for another wow factor but I can see this surround affect becoming fatiguing for some. The CE6P is more laid back overall with a smoother more even approach. It doesn’t immediately wow like the JH13 but for me becomes more musically engaging because of it. It’s headstage is more normal in approach with slight forward projection compared to the closer sounding JH13.

JH13 has more overall bass quantity. I was actually surprised how much bass my JH13 had. It was well elevated in both sub and mid bass over neutral. To my ears the CE6P is more neutral in bass than the JH13. The CE6P has a slight rise in sub bass over neutral but it isn’t a large boost; it’s very well implemented.

JH13 has more treble presence. The JH treble is pretty crispy and forward with a couple of peaks. Those peaks are the reason I sold it. They weren’t piercing or painful but negatively affected timbre IMO and became a negative focus I just couldn’t ignore and affected my enjoyment. The CE6P treble is more laid back and smooth. There’s still sparkle and good resolution but it isn’t forward or in your face.

I can’t really comment on differences in imaging, separation and resolution, as it’s just been too long and something like that needs direct a/b but I remember the JH13 not only being excellent in those categories but some of the best I've heard at it too. I can say the CE6P imaging is really excellent too and so is it’s center image. Vocal clarity is just so effortless and engaging. I really think the imaging and center image clarity and focus are direct results of Phil’s attention to and design of flat phase. I've just really enjoyed listening to my CE6P since I've reveived it. As mentioned before, it just allows me to get lost in the music and to stop evaluating.

I'll be interested in your thoughts between the two when your CE6P arrives.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #4,532 of 5,310
Just a curious question. Does anyone know if Phil and Cosmic are under a higher than usual workload? Not very serious but I'm itchy for my new cable and haven't received response to my email.

Granted Cosmic always seems to have high workloads. :D

Jan 24, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #4,533 of 5,310
Since no one has responded, I’ll give you some of my thoughts between the CE6P and JH13 with freqphase. Please keep in mind that I no longer own the JH13, so this is strictly from memory and notes.

The JH13 tuning is more upfront, forward and ‘exciting’ but that’s the JH house sound in a nutshell, so it gives you more of an instant wow effect. The JH13 head stage was also pretty enveloping and surrounding for another wow factor but I can see this surround affect becoming fatiguing for some. The CE6P is more laid back overall with a smoother more even approach. It doesn’t immediately wow like the JH13 but for me becomes more musically engaging because of it. It’s headstage is more normal in approach with slight forward projection compared to the closer sounding JH13.

JH13 has more overall bass quantity. I was actually surprised how much bass my JH13 had. It was well elevated in both sub and mid bass over neutral. To my ears the CE6P is more neutral in bass than the JH13. The CE6P has a slight rise in sub bass over neutral but it isn’t a large boost; it’s very well implemented.

JH13 has more treble presence. The JH treble is pretty crispy and forward with a couple of peaks. Those peaks are the reason I sold it. They weren’t piercing or painful but negatively affected timbre IMO and became a negative focus I just couldn’t ignore and affected my enjoyment. The CE6P treble is more laid back and smooth. There’s still sparkle and good resolution but it isn’t forward or in your face.

I can’t really comment on differences in imaging, separation and resolution, as it’s just been too long and something like that needs direct a/b but I remember the JH13 not only being excellent in those categories but some of the best I've heard at it too. I can say the CE6P imaging is really excellent too and so is it’s center image. Vocal clarity is just so effortless and engaging. I really think the imaging and center image clarity and focus are direct results of Phil’s attention to and design of flat phase. I've just really enjoyed listening to my CE6P since I've reveived it. As mentioned before, it just allows me to get lost in the music and to stop evaluating.

I'll be interested in your thoughts between the two when your CE6P arrives.

Thanks Shane, much appreciated. I got my CE6Ps yesterday and have been doing comparisons with the JH13 Pro FP with my DX90. I can see what you mean about the body of bass, it seems to be a touch more impactful on the JH13s but not much to be honest from what I can hear, it's very close. I think it depends on the song as well as the CEs do ramp up on bass if it's in the song. Parts of the music do jump out more on the 13s too, I was wondering why I would get headaches sometimes after a long listen, I guess this is fatiguing? It was like too much of everything sometimes, which can sound exciting to start off with.

The CEs seem to have more clarity in the vocals and overall presentation too to me. They sound as if everything is working in perfect unison with no frequencies jumping out at you as well. The imaging, resolution and seperation are about on a par to me which is great.

The CE6Ps do sound a lot flatter but still exciting, I think my ears will have to get used to more of a laid back sound again and I think they will be better off for it too. I have noticed that the CEs need less volume than the 13s, is this because they are easier to drive? The 13s are quieter on the same volume setting.

Phil has done a cracking job with these and I'm a very happy listener.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #4,535 of 5,310
  I've got a question: 
Is it be possible to upgrade the BA4 to a CE6, or does Cosmic Ears have to make them from scratch?

I'm sure Phil can reply to that if you email him, depends if he uses the same drivers, but I'm afraid that wioth the crossover and stuff, it might be different. No idea. I did upgrade my BA4F to a CE4P and haven't regretted it

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #4,536 of 5,310

Thanks Shane, much appreciated. I got my CE6Ps yesterday and have been doing comparisons with the JH13 Pro FP with my DX90. I can see what you mean about the body of bass, it seems to be a touch more impactful on the JH13s but not much to be honest from what I can hear, it's very close. I think it depends on the song as well as the CEs do ramp up on bass if it's in the song. Parts of the music do jump out more on the 13s too, I was wondering why I would get headaches sometimes after a long listen, I guess this is fatiguing? It was like too much of everything sometimes, which can sound exciting to start off with.

The CEs seem to have more clarity in the vocals and overall presentation too to me. They sound as if everything is working in perfect unison with no frequencies jumping out at you as well. The imaging, resolution and seperation are about on a par to me which is great.

The CE6Ps do sound a lot flatter but still exciting, I think my ears will have to get used to more of a laid back sound again and I think they will be better off for it too. I have noticed that the CEs need less volume than the 13s, is this because they are easier to drive? The 13s are quieter on the same volume setting.

Phil has done a cracking job with these and I'm a very happy listener.

Nice! Thanks for the direct comparison. Regarding your questions bolded: This is the type of fatigue I was referring to. Interesting find on sensitivity, I would not not have expected the CE6P to be easier to drive than the JH13.

I've noticed my CE6P sounds a little bassier on my Tera>Picollo set up than my AK240, so it seems source will affect just how neutral either the JH13 and CE6P sound to different people.

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #4,537 of 5,310

I'm sure Phil can reply to that if you email him, depends if he uses the same drivers, but I'm afraid that wioth the crossover and stuff, it might be different. No idea. I did upgrade my BA4F to a CE4P and haven't regretted it

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think it's better to contact Phil directly. Did you send in your BA4s and let them do the upgrade, or did you order a new pair of CE6s?

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #4,538 of 5,310

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think it's better to contact Phil directly. Did you send in your BA4s and let them do the upgrade, or did you order a new pair of CE6s?

I have the CE6 and a couple of other ciems, I sent in the BA4F just for the upgrade to the new CE4. The CE6 is staying right here with me, technically it's the (sorry Phil) second best custom I have and it gets the most use

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #4,539 of 5,310

I have the CE6 and a couple of other ciems, I sent in the BA4F just for the upgrade to the new CE4. The CE6 is staying right here with me, technically it's the (sorry Phil) second best custom I have and it gets the most use

Out of curiosity which is the first (I have a suspicion but I would like to confirm) and why do you listen to the CE6 more? 

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #4,540 of 5,310
Because it is the perfect mix of musicallity, detail and fun. It's really good and price/quality wise it is sublime (like the CE4). My N°1 is the CustomArt Harmony 8 Pro, that one is incredible on a technical level. That's the one I use at home, but never on the go. The detail would get lost on the streets and train. So CE6 is the best for outside. I do have have the Legend R incoming though, I expect a lot from that one too.

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #4,541 of 5,310
Because it is the perfect mix of musicallity, detail and fun. It's really good and price/quality wise it is sublime (like the CE4). My N°1 is the CustomArt Harmony 8 Pro, that one is incredible on a technical level. That's the one I use at home, but never on the go. The detail would get lost on the streets and train. So CE6 is the best for outside. I do have have the Legend R incoming though, I expect a lot from that one too.

Two albums into my CE6P and no regrets. Was tempted by the CE6E but the CE6P has sufficient bass for this basshead. Not that the 6P is a basshead can. This will fight with the Legends for airtime. But like @ultrainferno, the Legend is likely to stay home whilst the CE6P does outside duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back