Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Jan 12, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #4,505 of 5,310
To abort any more discussion about my (light brown, with a few little bits of silver (silver not grey!) here are a few poor iphone shots to be getting on with :-

Cheers

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #4,506 of 5,310
Well looks like they need a touch of thickening on each canal.  Could get a good general fit but had no bass or isolation.  If I pressed in the canals the bass came back in.  Going to get back in touch later and get them off by the weekend.  This is where being in the uk helps now!

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #4,507 of 5,310
I'm considering the same combo - is there something you are not quite happy about? (you don't seem completely over the top :))

Anyone can describe the sound from the CE6P, and maybe compare them to some other ones? Have been through this thread several times, but am still in doubt if the top is too rolled off for me, and what the sound signature in general can be compared to. Have been considering the JH13 too, but am very much in doubt how big that leap would be

Quote:
I thought it was obvious! Of course the hair, why would anyone ask about the colour of the ciems???

Looking forward to some pics David, just got a dx90 earlier today and using it with my CE6P sounds rather good

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #4,509 of 5,310

My response has a lot more to do with the fact that the iP6 sounds so good that the differences between it and the DX90 are small.

When I wrote my impressions on the CE6P I was coming from the SD2, which in my opinion cannot compete, the CE6P gets 95% of my listening time with some testing here and there for the SD2. DX90+SD2 is quite hollow and lifeless to me. I am happy with the SD2 on the iP6/iPad but not with the DX90.

There is a touch more warmth than listening through the iPhone but I don't find that there is a particular bass leaning on the combo. I haven't heard the CE6E but I find the bass on the CE6P+DX90 about right in the vast majority of cases (if anything it could use one tiny tiny bit more in some songs still).

I think together they sound great, there is definitely better instrument placement, mids are somewhat more forward and maybe there is a bit more detail here and there. To me the DX90 reinforces the qualities of the CE6P which is a full, clean, detailed, coherent and thoroughly enjoyable sound. I think this is the main strength of the CE6P, it does a brilliant job in conveying the characteristics of the source without losing its own character. I am considering the Cayin N6 just to compare with the DX90 later this year as it is supposed to be a more analytical/reference player.

Also the DX90 is REALLY quiet, no hiss, no background noise absolutely even on high gain and with no music playing. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #4,512 of 5,310
Thanks vrapan. I am new in this business so I only have lousy stuff with fruits on it... Have been using some ath-m50's and sennheisers over ear for a week, definetly better sound and going back to apple earbuds is a downer. Tried the Beyerdynamic dt-770, liked those a lot, but dont like the comfort of all these over ears. Tried the b&o h3 with an x5 too, liked the in ear sound but something was just not natural to me in the mids and highs with those.

So it will probably be a big jump for me to go for the CE6P anyway, getting older I just have better and better experience with buying more expensive gear in the first place, in the long run I find its often cheaper :wink: I just have a hard time judging if I'll gain a lot going from CE6P to JE13 right away. Have played the trumpet for 20 years, so might have a bit hearing loss in the mids/highs. I guess my goal is that the sound is natural enough that it can trick me into thinking I'm at a concert instead of sitting at a desk :) I'm currently upgrading my music to flac's.

Its not easy with these in-ears its difficult to hear up front, but thanks a lot for input

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #4,513 of 5,310
  Thanks vrapan. I am new in this business so I only have lousy stuff with fruits on it... Have been using some ath-m50's and sennheisers over ear for a week, definetly better sound and going back to apple earbuds is a downer. Tried the Beyerdynamic dt-770, liked those a lot, but dont like the comfort of all these over ears. Tried the b&o h3 with an x5 too, liked the in ear sound but something was just not natural to me in the mids and highs with those.

So it will probably be a big jump for me to go for the CE6P anyway, getting older I just have better and better experience with buying more expensive gear in the first place, in the long run I find its often cheaper :wink: I just have a hard time judging if I'll gain a lot going from CE6P to JE13 right away. Have played the trumpet for 20 years, so might have a bit hearing loss in the mids/highs. I guess my goal is that the sound is natural enough that it can trick me into thinking I'm at a concert instead of sitting at a desk :) I'm currently upgrading my music to flac's.

Its not easy with these in-ears its difficult to hear up front, but thanks a lot for input

Again it's worth bearing in mind that CE have demos available on request.  There is a wait time obviously, but it's something to bear in mind.

Someone on here went from apple earpods to CE2 and was very happy with that leap.

Packaged my westone reshells back up and off to stockport they go.  Should just need a touch of thickening and that should do it I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back