Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Mar 19, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #1,681 of 5,310
Quote:
I'm refraining from any more gushing praise in case people start to think I'm a plant or something :)

More news, phil is now going to do me a set of empty ma shells (I've already said that I'm not bothered about detatchable cables) and get them in the post.  I've decided that I'm going with a set of ma2's (as we know they fit) and ba4 (full size) when they become available and think that will complement each other nicely.

It's been a very long road but with phil's help, mind blowing patience and even more mind blowing help (not blowing my own trumpet, but it was my situation that indirectly lead to the pre fit service being implemented now!) we got there in the end.

If anyone ever has ANY concerns when ordering just get in touch with them, they'll soon put you on the right path!

Cheers.

Nice one David.  At last you're getting somewhere. And look, I'm replying to you on the open forum! lol

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #1,682 of 5,310
I'm still a little confused about the pre fit service, so it's basically a 30 day workmanship guarantee on the quality (fit and finish) of the molds they make?
If so how is this different to the standard practice other companies offer built into their standard price?

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #1,684 of 5,310
Quote:
I'm still a little confused about the pre fit service, so it's basically a 30 day workmanship guarantee on the quality (fit and finish) of the molds they make?
If so how is this different to the standard practice other companies offer built into their standard price?

Basically you send in your impressions, they send empty shells back.  If you like them then you send the shells back and they finish the build.  If you have problems you identify where they are on the shell and then they adjust them accordingly.

It's more for people who are not sure whether customs are for them.

cheers

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #1,685 of 5,310
Swimsonny I guess of the more hi end models.  I'm not sure of their sound sigs as I have not read through all of the pages.  
Well I guess I'll start by saying the sound I like.

-Tight, deep bass with some impact.
-Nice highs but not fatiguing.  
-Mids not recessed but no too forward.  
-Wide and deep sound stage.
-Neutral with a little warmth.  

Hope this helps.  

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #1,686 of 5,310
Quote:
Basically you send in your impressions, they send empty shells back.  If you like them then you send the shells back and they finish the build.  If you have problems you identify where they are on the shell and then they adjust them accordingly.

It's more for people who are not sure whether customs are for them.

cheers

Thanks David,
This makes more sense than what I was thinking.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #1,687 of 5,310
Are there any impression/review of the HY3? The normal one, not the extra bass version. I wonder if it can compete with 1Plus2 and all other hybrid IEM/CIEM.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #1,688 of 5,310
Swimsonny I guess of the more hi end models.  I'm not sure of their sound sigs as I have not read through all of the pages.  

Hope this helps.  

This reads like a description of the Cosmic 'house sound'!

I can't offer any comparisons to 1K universals as I haven't heard any!
However, compared to my UE TF10 (this is the highest value universal I've owned) both the Cosmic models I've owned have at least held their own.
The Pures I currently own are great, even though they are fairly inexpensive.
I now use them on a daily basis on the walk from my new house to work (7 miles 1.45 hours each way-fitness reasons).
I get to enjoy music for 3.5 hours a day!
I walk right beside a busy road for much of the way, and the isolation provided by the Pures is very welcome, even moderate music volume completely drown out what little traffic noise gets past the monitors.

My commute is now like walking through a travelogue, complete with my own awesome soundtrack.
I doubt I could endure a walk of this distance without tunes.

The HY3's I had before compared very favourably to the TF10s.
They had great low end grunt, and had sweeter mids/highs without the fatigue the TFs can inflict.
Even the Pures beat the TF in the fatigue department.

Obviously the TFs were clearer/more detailed than the Pures, but I think I still rate them similarly in terms of general satisfaction.

I definately preferred the HY3's to the TFs.

Phil currently has my TFs and is still experimenting with them to find a dynamic driver to mate with them to cure some of the TFs shortcomings.
It's awesome that he's prepared to attempt this, as it may be an impossible task.
I have high hopes though, having heard the two Cosmic models I've owned I'm confident they know what they're up to!

I'm also waiting for a HY5 :)
It can't come soon enough!

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #1,689 of 5,310
Quote:

Hope this helps.  

I will do some comparisons at a later date as i have a sore ear at the moment so know IEMs for me at the moment, just the HE-500 :D However you seem to be describing the MA2 (BA2). I mean check out my review, that is how i pretty much describe it! Maybe not so much the soundstage part but that is very hard in IEMs, as for the rest MA2 all the way!
Quote:
Are there any impression/review of the HY3? The normal one, not the extra bass version. I wonder if it can compete with 1Plus2 and all other hybrid IEM/CIEM.

If you search this thread there has been a few. All very positive although i am not sure if it seems to be living up to the high levels of the 1plus2. My HY3XB has gone back to phil and will come back as a HY3 so i will review that and also compare to the 1plus2 that i will get soon enough!

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #1,690 of 5,310
Just got an e-mail from Phill that my BA2s with the new Purple Paua Shell faceplate design have been finished!
The picture is taken with an iPhone so not the best quality, but does give some impression of what they're about:

I really like the look of them... They remind me of a vintage drum kit I used to have, that had a marine pearl finish.
Have also been very happy with the service/correspondance from Cosmic Ears so far.
But off course it's all about the sound; will probably be wearing these non-stop when they arrive...
Simply can't wait 'till they make the way from Stockholm to Copenhagen :)

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #1,691 of 5,310
My only problem I have before taking the plunge is that there isn't an audiologist here in my town.  I emailed cosmic ears on facebook and got a reply that they would try to put together a kit for me and to email the cite to remind them and see what can be done.  I'm crossing my fingers because I don't want to pay 1k for customs but these prices are far better.  Not the comparisons between them is what I'm interested in.  

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #1,692 of 5,310
Quote:
Just got an e-mail from Phill that my BA2s with the new Purple Paua Shell faceplate design have been finished!
The picture is taken with an iPhone so not the best quality, but does give some impression of what they're about:

I really like the look of them... They remind me of a vintage drum kit I used to have, that had a marine pearl finish.
Have also been very happy with the service/correspondance from Cosmic Ears so far.
But off course it's all about the sound; will probably be wearing these non-stop when they arrive...
Simply can't wait 'till they make the way from Stockholm to Copenhagen :)

Hi

Nice first post!

Welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet (though I see you've jumped in at the deep end and just got customs straight off the bat :) ). 

Fwiw, it's about 4-5 working days from sweden to south england, so I can't imagine that you'll have that long to wait.

I've just got a preorder in for the ma2 in blue and red (normally not bothered by colours but these things are tiny and need some sort of indicator!) and can't wait.

Hope you get a good fit when you get them :)

Thought about adding the photo to the ce website btw?
http://www.cosmicears.com/user-gallery/

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #1,693 of 5,310
Hi David and thanks for the warm welcome :)
My wallet/bank account will indeed be emptied at a furious pace, as I'm also considering an amp/DAC... and perhaps some open headphones (at the moment I've got some Sennheiser HD280)
But so far I'm just really happy with what I've got (or rather will be getting in a few days time :) )
By the way, I've actually been a member of this site since 2007, but as I'm a student, I haven't had the opportunity (=finances) to really participate much.
Regarding the user gallery, I'll wait till I have some higher quality pictures to post...
Hope your MA2s will turn out great!

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #1,694 of 5,310

[COLOR=2A2A2A]Simply can't wait 'till they make the way from Stockholm to Copenhagen :)
[/COLOR]

Oh my lord these are gorgeous! I need to stop hanging out here my wallet is thin enough already

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #1,695 of 5,310
Quote:

not cool dude... not cool at all...    crap .... just another option to consider...         absolutely gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back