Correct Balanced Polarity?
Mar 29, 2009 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

deadie

500+ Head-Fier
Oh gurus of head-fi, which of these two images correctly represents the polarity configuration of balanced amps in the US? Pic 1 or 2?

Thanks!

pixa.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #4 of 13
First, the general design is Pic 1, each XLR connector carries one channel, not both.

Second, as I said before - you need to know which way you're looking and whether this is a plug or jack.

If you know for a fact that pin 1 is on the right side (implying this is a jack - female connector and looking from the front, or is a plug - male connector and looking from the back), positive is on the left and negative is on the bottom.

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 13
I have a question myself: My DacMagic has balanced outputs-is there a balanced-to-unbalanced cable so I can connect an unbalanced device to the balanced outputs?

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question myself: My DacMagic has balanced outputs-is there a balanced-to-unbalanced cable so I can connect an unbalanced device to the balanced outputs?

Balanced DAC to unbalanced RCA amp - you can buy connector / adapters that will terminate in female RCA so you can use RCA interconnects

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 13
In the case of the DacMagic, it also has unbalanced outputs so you do not need an adapter.

There are some adapters that simply take the positive signal and ground of the XLR and use that for unbalanced. Unless I'm missing something, this will not work on every DAC and as DACs that have a discrete I/V stage need to have both positive and negative signals seeing a load or they will become unstable.

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the case of the DacMagic, it also has unbalanced outputs so you do not need an adapter.

There are some adapters that simply take the positive signal and ground of the XLR and use that for unbalanced. Unless I'm missing something, this will not work on every DAC and as DACs that have a discrete I/V stage need to have both positive and negative signals seeing a load or they will become unstable.

So you don't recommend using adapters? I wanted to analog outs (unbalanced). My 0404USB's outputs are both balanced and unbalanced (not the miniplug out though)

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 13
Before I got a balanced amp, I built myself balanced to RCA ICs to hook up my MiniDAC to an unbalanced amp. I went from positive to center RCA pin then negative and ground to RCA ground. Worked like a charm.

As for the op - take a close look at the XLRs, they may be marked with a "1", "2" and "3". I know Neutrik XLRs are marked. As mentioned, each XLR carries one channel so your first diagram is correct if looking head on at a female XLR. Looking head on at a male, pin 1 is upper right.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uhm... what?

I wanted two analog...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back