CoreCodec CoreAVC 2.0 RELEASED!!!
Dec 22, 2009 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

fenixdown110

Headphoneus Supremus
For those who know what this is, it's the moment we've all been waiting for. CoreCodec finally debugged it and released the final version.

Fixes all artifacts formed due to the CoreAVC 1.0 incompatibility with the newest version of x264.
Adds 64 bit support
Adds CUDA GPU support
MUCH MORE...

I won't post the free download link here for certain reasons, but feel free to PM me.

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 12
It doesn't but there are other codecs out there that will use a graphics card natively (i.e. not through CUDA which does sweet FA on my ATI card).
CoreAVC is good but it's not worth paying the price when there are equally good options that are free and open source.

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 12
Hmm, going to check this one out. Thanks for the tip!

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't but there are other codecs out there that will use a graphics card natively (i.e. not through CUDA which does sweet FA on my ATI card).
CoreAVC is good but it's not worth paying the price when there are equally good options that are free and open source.

I've found that CoreAVC's CUDA is a bit more tolerant of non-standard encoding. But if you don't need or worry about that then there are other options out there for plain DXVA decoding. As it is, the $5 upgrade cost for 2.0 was well worth it for me.

fenixdown110: the older version of CoreAVC already had CUDA acceleration
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or use the excellent ffmpeg for free.

That's fine on higher end machines, but my friend's computer (overclocked Athlon 64 x2 5000+) and my laptop (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo) both choke on 1080p H.264 via FFmpeg. CoreAVC is the only option sans using ATI Avivo.

I still use FFmpeg on my desktop since it offers better image quality.

Edit: Scratch that. My 3.3GHz Core 2 Quad can't handle very high bitrate H.264. Air TV lags on FFmpeg for me even with all of the enhancements disabled.

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fenixdown110: the older version of CoreAVC already had CUDA acceleration
wink.gif

You're absolutely correct.
smily_headphones1.gif
I just had use it to sell it some more. haha

My quad core chokes on high bitrate h264 as well. CoreAVC is the only solution pretty much.

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My quad core chokes on high bitrate h264 as well. CoreAVC is the only solution pretty much.

Glad to see I'm not the only one! FFMpeg isn't very multithreaded so having a couple extra cores doesn't do much. 45mb/s Bluray => FFMpeg = *BOOM*.

Yes, that's 1GB for 3 minutes of video. This is why I'm always out of hard disk space.
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #10 of 12
Exactly.
biggrin.gif

HDD's are cheap these days though. Under 100 bucks can get you 1 TB of space.
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 12
And no backup. So multiply that by 2 and add $45 for a decent actively cooled enclosure.
frown.gif

I bought a 1TB HDD a year ago, filled that, and added my old 320GB as a second drive. Just yesterday I dug up an old 160GB drive since I had ~15GB free across both of the above...

My backup drive only has a 1.5TB capacity so I'm stuck. I wish I had my friend's 10TB storage server.
tongue.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #12 of 12
$5 for an upgrade really... it wasn't to long ago that I payed for the original 1.9.X version. Well I guess it's better then subscription software. I will not buy subscription software ever (such a fraud).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back