connecting the micro stack
Jul 24, 2006 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chouman

100+ Head-Fier
i am so excited for my micro dac that should arrive soon. a few questions for those who have the micro stack.

if i am using my laptop as a source, i should just connect via usb, right? (my soundcard does not have a line out... only headphone out)

if i am using my ipod, do i have to buy a converter in order to connect it to the micro dac? i know the micro dac accepts coaxial, which i don't really understand, but is there a cable that connects the ipod line out on the dock to the coaxial input on the micro dac?

thanks headfiers for your knowledge and help.

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 9
Laptop USB -> MicroDAC

You cannot connect an iPod to the MicroDAC. The iPod does not have any digital-out. People use a line-out connector to go from the iPod straight to an amp.

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 9
so then now what is the point of headroom's micro stack bag and all of that? does this mean that the people who use the micro stack transportably would have to have a portable player that can use a coaxial cable or whatever to connect it?

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 9
The microdac will accept either a usb or a digital input (coax or optical) and will output to an analog line out (which is then usually connected to a headphone amp).

So you need either a usb connection or a digital feed (optical or coax) neither of which are available on an ipod and not on many PC/Laptops - though a few do have optical out.

What have you ordered the microdac only or both the microamp & the microdac (usually referred to as the microstack)?

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman
so then now what is the point of headroom's micro stack bag and all of that? does this mean that the people who use the micro stack transportably would have to have a portable player that can use a coaxial cable or whatever to connect it?

Basically, YES.

Some of the Iriver mp3 players have an optical out as well.

Steve

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 9
okay, thanks. i think that clarifies it. That would basically mean that i would just use the micro amp if i wanted an amp to bring along with my ipod which i would just connect via the headphone out.

what difference then does the pocket dock for the ipod make then? does it send a better signal to the amp then if i plugged it directly to the amp via the headphone out? (i've never seen this when i've looked at pictures on headfi). oh woe is me, that means i have yet another little part to purchase on this ridiculous quest for quality sound.

Jul 24, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

what difference then does the pocket dock for the ipod make then? does it send a better signal to the amp then if i plugged it directly to the amp via the headphone out? (i've never seen this when i've looked at pictures on headfi). oh woe is me, that means i have yet another little part to purchase on this ridiculous quest for quality sound.

Well this question will surely get a variety of responses. For my part I use a connector on the Ipod to get a clean line-out to connect into my hornet amp. I use one from qables.com which is hard-wired (see www.qables.com for pictures though there are other lineout makers selling here at head-fi such as lineout, turbodock and rnbaudio).

If you do use the headphone out you'll need the volume at almost max and adjust the volume on the amp itself for best quality.

All I will say is that when the hornet battery ran down the other day I was forced to listen to my Ipod thru the headphone out with my UM2 IEMs and I thought it sounded terrible. I guess if that's all you've ever heard and were used to it would be OK but there's no going back for me. I'll put up with the extra bulk of the amp & cables over the poorer audio quality of a naked Ipod!

Steve

Jul 24, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

okay, thanks. i think that clarifies it. That would basically mean that i would just use the micro amp if i wanted an amp to bring along with my ipod which i would just connect via the headphone out.

First, congrats on your purchase; you will enjoy it. Please note that no cables are included with the Microstack other than the power cables. At a minimum, you will need a 1/8 mini to mini to connect the MicroAmp to the MicroDac, and a mini USB cable to connect the MicroDac to your laptop. I don't recall what the cable is called, but it's the same USB cable used to connect most digital cameras, blackberry devices, etc to a pc.

A lineout adapter makes a huge difference when connecting an I-Pod to an amp like the MicroAmp. You have to bypass the I-Pod's headphone jack circuitry or you will be amping noise.

To use the MicroDac with a portable player, you will unfortunately have to abandon the I-Pod altogether and find a DAP with digital out. There may still be Iriver H120's or H140's on e-bay, which have this feature. Otherwise, you just have to use the I-Pod with the Amp using a pocket dock or other solution. If the prospect of buying a new player doesn't thrill you, don't fret because the Ipod w/lineout + MicroAmp will still sound good.

Next, if you intend to use the MicroStack (or either of it's components) without DC power, you will need good 9 volt batteries. The MicroStack eats batteries, so Alkalines are prohibitively expensive/wasteful IMO. Thomas Distributing sells good 9 volt rechargeables and chargers: www.thomasdistributing.com.

Jul 26, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #9 of 9
After I get more money(can't decide whether I want to save for car sterio/computer parts/headphone stuff/rickenbacker 4003) I'm looking into getting a micro stack myself, so, be sure to tell us how it sounds.

As for 9volts, go to radioshack, and get the green 9 volts. They are the ones that won't last as long as the blue ones, but, they don't have memory, so, even if they arn't discharged all the way, they won't have a reduced amount of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back