*Confirmed* Grado PS1000 is coming!
Mar 4, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #841 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do know that I will listen to the PS-1000's the most and they will be my immediate go to headphone. But my RS-1's will always have a place on my audio rack.

Great! Now I miss my RS-1s
frown.gif

I remember doing a shootout with the GS-1000, RS-1 and PS-1 with iamoneagain, and the one thing that I took away from that was how well the RS-1 did considering the price difference. The thing it did well was that warm timbre that was so inviting and energetic.

The PS-1 had the resolving power and liquid smoothness, the GS-1000 had the expansion and layered bass, but the RS-1 was right there. I can see why some would prefer it over the others.

Anyway, Well done Zanth to put things into perspective and to remind us to appreciate what we have and enjoy the hobby rather than feel like this is some race to feel like we have the best or are missing something.

I am guilty of feeling like there is something more that I need when I was just fine before the new (fill in the blank) came out. Occasionally, I will see someone who is a long time veteran and has heard every headphone out there and has a HD600 only or a RS-1 only... and I think to myself "man, that guy gets it" and I end up respecting that person more for just being happy and enjoying the music.

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #842 of 941
I remember that shootout well. I know I didn't like the GSK1 much except for acoustic music at that point. The PS-1 were my favorite but yeah, there was something special with the RS-1. For me, I think was the more aggressive sound of the electric guitar and the warm timbre.

I think my L3000 capture the warm timbre very well. As for as the guitar, I'd bet it is more in line with the PS-1 than the RS-1. Anytime I hear the RS-1 now, I enjoy the sound but can't believe how small the soundstage is. The overall sound doesn't do it for me compared to the L3000. I really don't miss them.

Now as far as the PSK1, I'm very curious to hear them but at this point can't see selling my L3000 to get them. The more and more I read, it sounds like the soundstage is really close to the GSK1. Maybe the slightly more intimate sound would put it just where I like it. The PS-1 had a nice soundstage but just wasn't as precise as the L3000. It could also be that I've gotten used to a slightly larger soundstage and PSK1 would be perfect. Who knows until I hear them for myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great! Now I miss my RS-1s
frown.gif

I remember doing a shootout with the GS-1000, RS-1 and PS-1 with iamoneagain, and the one thing that I took away from that was how well the RS-1 did considering the price difference. The thing it did well was that warm timbre that was so inviting and energetic.

The PS-1 had the resolving power and liquid smoothness, the GS-1000 had the expansion and layered bass, but the RS-1 was right there. I can see why some would prefer it over the others.

Anyway, Well done Zanth to put things into perspective and to remind us to appreciate what we have and enjoy the hobby rather than feel like this is some race to feel like we have the best or are missing something.

I am guilty of feeling like there is something more that I need when I was just fine before the new (fill in the blank) came out. Occasionally, I will see someone who is a long time veteran and has heard every headphone out there and has a HD600 only or a RS-1 only... and I think to myself "man, that guy gets it" and I end up respecting that person more for just being happy and enjoying the music.

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #843 of 941
I've used mu GS1000s for 9-10 months now, and I feel they've finally gotten a snug fit. I keep myself from removing or doing anything else that might shift their position because they now remember the shape of my head, and when i put them on they're also much easier to get in the right position. When I first got them I kept on adjusting them throughout every listening session.
The secret to get a good grado fit have always been to just use them. I've put down my GS1000s on a newspaper a couple of times, unintentionally, and after just a few minutes they leave a big circular, sort of transparent mark, it's grease/fat
redface.gif

And Bilavideo, you might already know this, but giving the pads a gentle hand wash—some in fact swear by a little hair conditioner added—will soften up the foam.

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #844 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*snip*

I've put down my GS1000s on a newspaper a couple of times, unintentionally, and after just a few minutes they leave a big circular, sort of transparent mark, it's grease/fat
redface.gif

This is a problem I had with my SR125's back in the day, before the pads broke down and I tossed them out. I never bothered to replace them after that cause the oil from my skin getting on the pads really bothered me.

I do have oily skin, so when I bought my GS1000i I also bought a box of Pampers Sensitive Skin Baby Wipes, and give my head a good wipe down before any (and sometimes during) long listening sessions.

I have buzzed hair so it's really quite easy to wipe down and keep everything oil free.

[size=xx-small]Also, I might have OCD.[/size]

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #845 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used mu GS1000s for 9-10 months now, and I feel they've finally gotten a snug fit. I keep myself from removing or doing anything else that might shift their position because they now remember the shape of my head, and when i put them on they're also much easier to get in the right position. When I first got them I kept on adjusting them throughout every listening session.
The secret to get a good grado fit have always been to just use them. I've put down my GS1000s on a newspaper a couple of times, unintentionally, and after just a few minutes they leave a big circular, sort of transparent mark, it's grease/fat
redface.gif

And Bilavideo, you might already know this, but giving the pads a gentle hand wash—some in fact swear by a little hair conditioner added—will soften up the foam.

No sarcasm intended, I had never thought of that. Thanks!

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #846 of 941
i didn't mention this yesterday because i had a question for zanth. this is erie when that guy posted about the general from dispatch i just had walked in from my car where i was listening to it. this is weird because it is not a new or common song.

besides, it may not be everyones taste but the message is touching. imagine the song in pictures like it was a movie.

btw, zanth did you see my last post? i didn't want to bother you via pm.

thanks
music_man

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #847 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
zanth, do you think the ps1000 are a "huge" upgrade from the older gs1000?
similar sound?

thanks,
music_man

Similar sound, yes. But to many all Grados have a similar sound. I tried to delineate between the models I figured most would want the comparisons drawn against. So they share a similar sound but there are differences. The fluidity of the PS-1's is apparent, this was lacking in the more dry presentation of the GS-1000's. The bass is tighter. The soundstage is very similar to the GS-1000's if not identical. Depending on the piece used and the trailing sounds, sometimes it sounded as if one was more cavernous than the other and it varied between the two, I chalk it up to resonance but it could have been my mind playing tricks on me as I changed up the phones. One convenient thing about the EAR HP4 is that it has four headphone jacks, 2 low Z and 2 high Z outputs. This allows me to quickly switch up but of course it can't be instantaneous, it is tough to "pause" a record as easily as with a CD and audio memory is short. So comparing soundstages between the two to fully declare X is larger than Y would be tough.

The biggest differences to me were the more prominent mids regardless of tubes used in my amps, the more liquid mids, the more articulate highs without harshness (recording dependent of course).

With my familiarity with the GS-1000's and going back and forth with the PS-1000's, I found there to be a similar range of difference when comparing the RS-1's and PS-1's. If you have ever had a chance to listen to those two phones, you'll know what I mean. There is a house sound, to the untrained ear, they may sound very similar, too similar to really tell apart but someone who knows either phone or has been listening to headphones for a time will immediately hear the differences between the two. This was my reaction when I heard the PS-1000's and compared them with the GS-1000's.

So a huge upgrade? Again, it depends on what you want. Do you want the intimacy of the PS1/RS1 lineage? Then the PS-1's may be the pinnacle for you. If you liked the PS-1 sound but wanted something more open, more transparent, faster with a larger soundstage, then I feel the PS-1000's are it. I wanted these things because when I heard the GS-1000's I thought...here we go, something new and different from Grado and I like it! When I went back to the PS-1's I loved the mids, but I felt it was a closed in sound and if I want closed in, I would prefer RS-1 with flats to the PS-1's with bowls most days. The PS-1000's take care of that. I can go for the PS-1 sound but with the additional benefits I felt the GS-1000's provide.

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #848 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you liked the PS-1 sound but wanted something more open, more transparent, faster with a larger soundstage, then I feel the PS-1000's are it.

Just what I'm looking for, but when do we get to hear that for ourselves? Patience is not one of my virtues (if I have any at all
wink_face.gif
)

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #849 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by crucial /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just what I'm looking for, but when do we get to hear that for ourselves? Patience is not one of my virtues (if I have any at all
wink_face.gif
)

Yah, I know what you mean.
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #850 of 941
thanks zanth.

i guess i wont know which i like better untill i hear them. i guess it is like some people like hd600 better than hd650 or vice versa. i gather it is not like hd650 vs. hd800. that would be more like rs2 vs. gs1000.
i guess. more of a "difference" not that one is clearly "better" it sounds like from what you describe. since i prefer the gs1000 to the ps1(shoot me now). i also vastly prefer the gs1000 to any john grado model. or if the ps1k is better than the gs1k it is in subtle details. not by leaps and bounds i take it. i actually prefer the distant mids.

i like the wood so much i made nicer wood cups/chambers. see my other recent post. i am not a huge fan of metal. then again they do have wood sleeves. ahh well, i'll just have to wait to hear them. however, i am a lot more excited about the ps1k than the introduction of the hd800.

music_man

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #852 of 941
Quote:

i am a lot more excited about the ps1k than the introduction of the hd800.

blasphemy!
tongue.gif

i can't wait for all the HD800 v. PS1000 threads. going to be so much fun.

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #853 of 941
Quote:

thanks zanth.

i guess i wont know which i like better untill i hear them. i guess it is like some people like hd600 better than hd650 or vice versa. i gather it is not like hd650 vs. hd800. that would be more like rs2 vs. gs1000.

Exactly. The PS-1000's follow from the GS-1000's and PS-1's. So think 650's are better than 580's by most people's account, with the 650's having more potential (tweaks, cable upgrades). Comparing the RS-1's or PS-1's to the PS-1000's is closer to taking the RS'2s and comparing to the GS-1000's. Stark contrasts.

Quote:

i guess, more of a "difference" not that one is clearly "better" it sounds like from what you describe.

Well, if we are comparing the PS-1's vs. the PS-1000's because then one may be drawn to the intimate sound vs. the large presentation, but if we are going with GS-1000's vs. PS-1000's, there isn't an instance where the PS-1000's are inferior to them, in most cases are superior to them and when not superior then on par (soundstage for instance).

Quote:

i forgot to mention in case you didn't know. i also use an ear hp4 to power the gs1k.

Well then you know first hand what a great combo the GS-1000's are with that amp. Awesome synergy. The EAR is a keeper! Rare on the used market and built like a tank! SET too! It could only be better with 300bs!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blasphemy!
tongue.gif

i can't wait for all the HD800 v. PS1000 threads. going to be so much fun.

Back in the day, when the battles really were only between Grado and Sennheiser, RS-1's vs. 600's for the top of the heap, it was kinda fun. Completely useless mind you, but fun. It kept it lively around here even if folks got carried away at times. It will be interesting to read reviews of both. Ultimately? Yep...you got it, completely useless. Folks will like what they like and that's OKAY, we are not our gear
biggrin.gif
We should use that as a mantra along with our site slogan.

Anyhow, I really look forward to some shoot outs. A friend will have the HD800's soon I hope and I'm crossing my fingers that I can swing a pair of PS-1000's by the end of April (is that when the 800's will be released?) so we should have a fun time. He also has the HD650's and I'll have my other Grados and we can have a wonderful time going through the heritage of each company and comparing the top dogs. I sure do hope the 800's are comfy!

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #854 of 941
Quote:

i didn't mention this yesterday because i had a question for zanth. this is erie when that guy posted about the general from dispatch i just had walked in from my car where i was listening to it. this is weird because it is not a new or common song.

besides, it may not be everyones taste but the message is touching. imagine the song in pictures like it was a movie.

btw, zanth did you see my last post? i didn't want to bother you via pm.

thanks
music_man

Its one of the songs I like to play on guitar, and it has indeed a great message, I think its a great song.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #855 of 941
Has anybody recived their PS1000, shouldn't they have begun to ship them by now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back