Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Jan 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,021 of 1,242
Quote:
better than the FXD80  for that music too?

FXD80 will give better dynamic with harder hitting bass and crispier sparkle, but lose out on the mid all together. Overall, I will say RE-400 is a small notch better, especially for anything with vocal. FXD80 will be better for something that need detail and soundstage, i.e. Classical, Electronics, etc.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #1,022 of 1,242
Quote:

FXD80 will give better dynamic with harder hitting bass and crispier sparkle, but lose out on the mid all together. Overall, I will say RE-400 is a small notch better, especially for anything with vocal. FXD80 will be better for something that need detail and soundstage, i.e. Classical, Electronics, etc.

i see. thanks 
then, which would be better for something like these

and 

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #1,025 of 1,242
Quote:

i always wonder why is that. it isnt just a kind of signature, but a special tunning where they emphasize the right parts of the music. 

Because of two things: 1st, most anime music are mostly electronics based with very little acoustic instruments, so they need a lot of bass hit and very crispy treble. 2nd, anime music is recorded much like sound track (well, they are), so soundstage is preferred over vocal. Both reasons constitute to more V-shaped sound, which is what FXD80 is (mild U-shaped).

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #1,026 of 1,242
Your budget should is just right for a HifiMan RE400, It isn't a Rock / Pop specialized IEM but it has a very versatile sound and it will beat SE215.

Sorry, never listen to HFi580 before.

Both R50 and GR07 should fit your bill of wanting a different sound. R50 will be brighter, more detail and upfront. GR07 will be more laidback with better bass response.

I like bass w/out giving up clarity. Would pref clarity overall but not at the cost of zero bass.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #1,027 of 1,242
Quote:
I like bass w/out giving up clarity. Would pref clarity overall but not at the cost of zero bass.

How about T-PEOS H-100? The mid to treble is close to that of Etymotic, clean and analytical. Bass is boosted slightly and very well textured. I won't call it a bass monster but it is still very good in quality and quantity.

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #1,028 of 1,242
Quote:

Because of two things: 1st, most anime music are mostly electronics based with very little acoustic instruments, so they need a lot of bass hit and very crispy treble. 2nd, anime music is recorded much like sound track (well, they are), so soundstage is preferred over vocal. Both reasons constitute to more V-shaped sound, which is what FXD80 is (mild U-shaped).

but still they need to vocals be a bit fwd, and without too much bass to overpower them. also the  most of the J-music vocals are on the up freq, even male ones

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #1,029 of 1,242
How about T-PEOS H-100? The mid to treble is close to that of Etymotic, clean and analytical. Bass is boosted slightly and very well textured. I won't call it a bass monster but it is still very good in quality and quantity.

I'm reading up on them now but am having a hard time finding a way to buy. See tim on eBay selling what I think are these for 169$(his store currently shows no items). I also read u can order strait from manufacture for better price but can't understand the site the post link to. The Shure SE215(STD/LTD)are 108-120$ to ship to my door. R-5 are 119$. Will keep reading for a bit.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #1,030 of 1,242
Quote:
I'm reading up on them now but am having a hard time finding a way to buy. See tim on eBay selling what I think are these for 169$(his store currently shows no items). I also read u can order strait from manufacture for better price but can't understand the site the post link to. The Shure SE215(STD/LTD)are 108-120$ to ship to my door. R-5 are 119$. Will keep reading for a bit.

for the t-peos, send  a mail to 
swp@swpshinwoo.com

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #1,034 of 1,242
Quote:
but still they need to vocals be a bit fwd, and without too much bass to overpower them. also the  most of the J-music vocals are on the up freq, even male ones

That'll depends what you want to prioritise of course. I don't see vocal a big part in Jpop / anime music in general.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #1,035 of 1,242
Have u used Shure SE215's?

no, the R-50

Quote:

That'll depends what you want to prioritise of course. I don't see vocal a big part in Jpop / anime music in general.

maybe. but for me vocal is essential part on j-music in general. dont need to be the most sweet and upfront, but if it´s reccessed or veiled, or overpowered by the bass i can´t listen to it. the SM pl50, A151, FA Eterna, RE0 , BZ M5 for example werent of my liking in the end. similar thing with the R-50, too much treble, even with the slight fwd mids.
not to say the were bad iems. they are great, but i liked an AT iem more.  
a matter of taste, of course. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back