Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Feb 21, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #481 of 1,242
I wanted to ask the same question to ClieOS...

What might you recommend, along the lines of the GR07 being my favourite, as a sidegrade comparable to it? I'm thinking something a little more edgy with a touch more presence in the treble. The GR07 really are perfect for me, just wondering what you might have to say. I definitely do not like recessed mids!

The headphones I own are listed in my signature

The only IEM that makes sense for me as an GR07 upgrade is K2 SP, but unfortunately it is not available to the international buyer anymore. The two other alternative to GR07 are TDK BA200 and Westone 2. BA200 is actually slightly warmer than GR07 with equally smooth treble while W2 is more analytical and neutral, so they are not exactly GR07 + treble.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #482 of 1,242

Quote:
The only IEM that makes sense for me as an GR07 upgrade is K2 SP, but unfortunately it is not available to the international buyer anymore. The two other alternative to GR07 are TDK BA200 and Westone 2. BA200 is actually slightly warmer than GR07 with equally smooth treble while W2 is more analytical and neutral, so they are not exactly GR07 + treble.

I emailed j-phonic last night asking if they would make an exception, so far no reply yet. Here's a thought if a group buy was somehow arranged with someone in Japan or in the general area of Asia acting as the organizer you think j-phonic might give their blessings to a group buy? Man these K2 SP IEM's are driving me crazy I so need to find a more relaxing hobby haha.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #483 of 1,242
Sound like a plan, though more likely a Japanese group buy will work.

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #485 of 1,242
Atomic Floyd SuperDarts +Remote added.

SuperDarts.jpg

Balanced 2.    Atomic Floyd SuperDarts + Remote (link)
The overall sound signature is a close to extreme V-shaped balanced sound with big boomy bass and bright sparkly treble, not for the vocal lover. It is the mix of
bright and aggressive IEM (like Brainwavz B2, Fischer Audio DBA-02, or EXS X20) with a lot of bass. Treble is crisp, sparkly and extended, maybe a bit aggressive as well, but milder than X20 while still bright and analytical. Mid is a dip in the whole presentation, lacks warmness or sweetness for good vocal. Bass, though not quite as deep and textured as the best bass monster, is still commendable for overall good quantity and quality. It is slightly on the boomy side, but it remains clean and doesn’t flush out the mid. Soundstage is specious and very much opened. The only downside is that it doesn’t quite have the depth to match its width.
Pro: Build quality. Design. Unique sound. Two years warranty.
Con: Availability

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #486 of 1,242
Hey ClieOS, I've got a question for you.

Assuming I'm just going to use my iAudio 7 or J3, do you think it would be wiser to go for the RE262 or RE272? I read that both of them benefit best from an amp, but I don't plan on ever using one with my portable rig. If the RE272 needs one more than the RE262, I may just go for the RE262. But, if it's about the same amp requirements for both, I may give the RE272 a shot. What are your thoughts on that?

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #487 of 1,242
To me at least, RE262 goes well with an analytical amp while RE272 is better sounding when balanced driven. While RE262 and RE272 do benefit from amping, I think the consensus is that amping is not absolutely needed. That is, you can get away without extra amping if your source has decent output (even though the IEM might not to be 100%). However, I have no experience with any Cowon at all so it is difficult to say if they are good enough. I do understand that Cowon is known to have pretty good output so you might be fine there. I think the real question is, what kind of sound signature are you looking for?

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #488 of 1,242
ClieOS,

I listen to norah jones, katie melua type of music..sorry dont know what genre these are called. Anything with my puny RM200++ budget to recommend? currently using meelec m9 and its just too bassy for my taste..something smooth not too bassy is what im looking for..just dont know which i should consider from your awesome review

thanks, great job and i love this thread 
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #489 of 1,242

Quote:
ClieOS,

I listen to norah jones, katie melua type of music..sorry dont know what genre these are called. Anything with my puny RM200++ budget to recommend? currently using meelec m9 and its just too bassy for my taste..something smooth not too bassy is what im looking for..just dont know which i should consider from your awesome review

thanks, great job and i love this thread 
biggrin.gif

I personally think they are a cross of pop and smooth jazz. For your budget, you can go as higher as Fischer Audio Consonance. However, I don't think you need to go too crazy on it, so I'll also recommend SoundMAGIC E30 as an alternative choice.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #490 of 1,242
@ClieOS:

Currently looking for some cheap IEMs for use at the gym - I'd prefer the Soundmagic EH-11 however they're not available in my country (weird, since the PL-11, E-10 and E-30 are everywhere).

So, below $20, I'm looking at the Brainwavz Alpha. I owned the PL-11 before, how would you say the Alphas compare in terms of durability and sound sig?

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #491 of 1,242
The Alpha is warm to a bit dark and quite bassy, kind of in the same sound signature as PL-11 but thicker. The overall SQ is about the same as PL11 and so is the build quality, perhaps slightly better. However, the original Alpha has been discontinued quite some time now and the version now is ProAlpha, which I don't think I have heard but it is said to be better than Alpha.

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #492 of 1,242
I got the E30 for fun. It definitely has a low-fi sound signature to me. Mids and bass oriented, neutral, not superbly clean or clear, detail is not bad. For me I wish I could EQ the bass down further. There are some prominent bass/mid bass frequencies which tend to always be prominent and exaggerate that frequency range a bit too much for my liking (bleed?) [Nick Drake tracks for example and acoustic World Music...should sound articulate and clear throughout a spectrum]. Treble is laid back in the presentation as mentioned before. I'm making these comments with basically no burn-in. I burned them in overnight now and should have up to 15 hours of time on them. Do the E30 change? Maybe it's just the headphones I am coming from, but the reviews have been a little too positive.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #493 of 1,242
I don't think E30 change that much after burn-in. It has a fairly Westone UM'ish sound that is more monitor-like - smooth, warm, non-fatiguing. It is definitely not going to compare well to what you currently have or most of what you have owned in the past (which seems a little bit toward good treble presentation).

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #494 of 1,242
I got the E30 yesterday and thought it was pretty amazing for the price of $35. I was pretty impressed by it.

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #495 of 1,242
I'd say "for the money" the best pair I've picked up is the XE200Pro which are right up my alley as far as sound goes. The Xears coupon makes it $50 right? Good observation about the treble 
etysmile.gif

I know it's unfair for the cost to compare, but if reviews pique my interest enough I can be persuaded. I've been quite successful as far as my collection goes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back