Complain to Stereophile re HPs and their Buyer's Guide
Jan 16, 2010 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

wavoman

Headphoneus Supremus
This is insane -- Stereophile in their Buyer's Guide for 2010 state that their intention is to list everything!

Here is an exact quote:

"You'll find listed every audio component currently available in the US ... We have headphones (p.140) ..."

But the listing omits both AKG and beyerdynamics.

This is an insult.

Tell them what you think: they say the following -- if you know of anything they left out, you should email the editor, John Atkinson, at

stletters@sorc.com

Let's bury him.

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 37
what do they list? HD800 and PS1000 (or GS1000). you say no AKG. i'm surprised the K701 is not on the list. think they reviewed it.

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 37
You want Kirosia to send him naughty images involving donkeys and buckets of jello?

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 37
Maybe hold the jello.

Yea, they did review the K701, making the omission of AKG even more remarkable.

They do list every Grado and Senn it seems, and Ultrasone, Denon, etc.

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 37
OMG ... they forgot Koss too.

They are idiots.

Type is so small I have trouble with this ... let's see who else got shafted.

Head-Direct ... pretty small, but they say every component for sale in the US!

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 37
Actually, Chez Wes, the reference headphones for the last year or so have been the AKG K701 ($450) with the Cardas Fatpipe cable upgrade ($322), so they seemed the natural thang to compare and contrast the HD800 with. The K701 needs hours of play before its midbass is properly balanced—less than a few hundred and the midbass is essentially MIA. But once properly broken in and paired with the Cardas cable, the AKGs had always left me wanting very little in headphone reproduction.

The HD800 changed that. Good as they are, the K701s just do not have the spatial soundstaging of the HD800s. The Mahler simply isn't as awe-inspiringly huge through the K701s. It's big and it's impressive, but it's not as real. The Sennheisers were the clear spatial champions Copied from a sterophile review of the senn HD800
A little odd, the reference headphone was left out, however, in this revenue driven age, reviews from any publication are of no more use than a cnet review..........who cares about stereophile? They used to trash gear, until they lost advertising revenue.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #8 of 37
I am afraid that if a headphone magazine comes out too, the same thing will happen. Have you noticed how very diplomatic the "official" headphone reviews are on this forum? Now imagine what would happen with a headphone rag that has advertising revenue to raise.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #9 of 37
But these are not reviews! This is supposed to be a comprehensive listing of every HP for sale in the US that meets audiophile standards, and there is no mention of the following manufacturers, none whatsoever! -- AKG, beyer, Koss, Head-Direct. The first two are inexcusable. Head-Direct I understand. The fact that the 701 was their reference HP makes this even more amazing.

Sloppy work, means the whole database cannot be trusted. And shows how little they care about HPs.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But these are not reviews! This is supposed to be a comprehensive listing of every HP for sale in the US that meets audiophile standards, and there is no mention of the following manufacturers, none whatsoever! -- AKG, beyer, Koss, Head-Direct. The first two are inexcusable. Head-Direct I understand. The fact that the 701 was their reference HP makes this even more amazing.

Sloppy work, means the whole database cannot be trusted. And shows how little they care about HPs.

Well........You are 100 percent correct, and stereophile has made it clear over the years, that cans aren't their thing. (read some of the headphone reviews) Sterophile sucks.......my 2 cents, not that any oher mag is worth a crap.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #12 of 37
...and it matters because?

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and it matters because?

My thoughts exactly......Head fi (if you take the time to learn which folks know their stuff) is the only tool you need for all things headfi.
I don't need no stinkin list from stereophile

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #14 of 37
Seriously, I really want to kill some people. I don't care for the reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back