Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Nov 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #796 of 4,373
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-kef-m500-headphones-new-level-comfort

I was just reading this review....

They doesnt give the KEFM500 high praise sonically....hmmm...

Anyone feels the same here?

I found the M500 to be quite good, I haven't had the chance to audition a pair of Momentum in a quiet environment tho...

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #797 of 4,373

I found the M500 to be quite good, I haven't had the chance to audition a pair of Momentum in a quiet environment tho...

Interesting. They seemed to really like them, except for the treble:

In practice though, the trebles from the KEF M500 lacked clarity and presence in the mix. For 
Melt My Heart To Stone
 by Adele, the weak trebles were unable to make the desired impact and hence the headphones were unable to convey the emotion of the song.

Don’t get us wrong, there are some great aspects about the KEF M500’s audio. The bass and lows have good depth and extension. The mids are strong and have a weighty presence in the mix. However they are unable to paper over the shortcomings of the headphones such as its weak trebles and a constricted soundstage that take away some of the gloss of its audio performance.

Maybe my ears aren't sophisticated enough, but I really love the M500 highs and treble. Also, I don't find the soundstage to be constricted at all (especially off of the C3/BH combo) for an on ear headphone - in fact I love the soundstage and imaging. So I must say that I personally don't agree with them on either of those aspects.

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #798 of 4,373
Either way, headphone reviews are not that useful. It's extremely personal what sounds good to one person, vs. another. The only thing it's useful for is comparing headphones that have been reviewed by the same reviewer to at least get a sense of the relative differences between a bunch of headphones.

As always, the best judge are your own ears.

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #799 of 4,373

What a load of crap, it's not true at all that the M500 lacks treble presence. If they called it bright I would understand (though I don't exactly think so myself). 

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #800 of 4,373
  Either way, headphone reviews are not that useful. It's extremely personal what sounds good to one person, vs. another. The only thing it's useful for is comparing headphones that have been reviewed by the same reviewer to at least get a sense of the relative differences between a bunch of headphones.

As always, the best judge are your own ears.

There's a reason why I don't read others review except for Headfonia's [be it by Mike or L] when I am in the market looking for headphone! What they describe in their review is really what I heard! 

The key is to find someone who's taste is similar to yours!

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #801 of 4,373
  There's a reason why I don't read others review except for Headfonia's [be it by Mike or L] when I am in the market looking for headphone! What they describe in their review is really what I heard! 

The key is to find someone who's taste is similar to yours!

That works too.

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #805 of 4,373
If they think the m500 lacks treble, than no closed headphone except the k550 will sound good to them! 99% of all closed cans have treble roll off!

Really? So you find Momentum On-ear, Sennheiser HD25, Amperior, ESW10JPN and many others to have lesser treble to the M500? (not mentioning full-size cans).

I have tried the M500 with many different source/amp and it doesn't change my opinion that the M500 is simply mediocre. This is purely my own subjective impression.

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #806 of 4,373
Speaking of ATH ES ...
Just throwing another portable out there to try.. ATH-ES700 ?
Can be had for $150 here in Australia.
I remember I had ES7 years ago and they sounded nice for the price and these are meant to be a much improved version (and better than ES10 etc). Many people prefer ES700 even to MDR-1R and Momentum. Apparently the ESW9 lambskin earpads fit on them too (and others).
Video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG8gZwef2mE

The only thing I didn't like about the ES7 and the reason I lost them was the double entry attached cable. One side broke rendering the HPs useless  unless I felt like some soldering so I had to throw them out. This sucks, ALL portables should really have detachable cables...

Anyway sorry about going a bit OT.. just got a bit ATH nostalgic I think :p
There's the ATH-WS99 to look into too...balanced, big, nice and comfy

I think the thing that annoys me about all these new portables is the new $400 price or close to it, that everyone is just accepting. That is a lot for portables. (H6, P7 etc) 

Nov 4, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #807 of 4,373
Really? So you find Momentum On-ear, Sennheiser HD25, Amperior, ESW10JPN and many others to have lesser treble to the M500? (not mentioning full-size cans).

I have tried the M500 with many different source/amp and it doesn't change my opinion that the M500 is simply mediocre. This is purely my own subjective impression.

Havent heard the lastand beyerdynamic is the exception. The kef does have more treble than the momentum IMO.

Nov 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #808 of 4,373
If they think the m500 lacks treble, than no closed headphone except the k550 will sound good to them! 99% of all closed cans have treble roll off!

That's not treble extension on the K500...that's a treble peak (or several). 
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #810 of 4,373

Users who are viewing this thread

Back