Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Nov 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #781 of 4,373
Regarding the NAD cans, they are really good.  I got to spend some time with Jude's pair (the guy just has every headphone under the sun) at RMAF.  My impressions were the mids are a bit polite and slightly laid back kind of like momentums, bass deep and tight with just a slight warm upper bass and lower highs, like Tyl says, slightly prominent but fantastically delicate.  Aside for the mids being a little further back than I would like, they are very good indeed.  Reminded me a lot of a  Senn 650 type signature.

I would rank the NADs just lightly behind the Sony 7520 and Focal Spirit Pros (for my tastes) but have never heard the KEFs or B&Ws.

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #783 of 4,373

Please! And if possible, include B&O H6 too! : )

Actually I've heard the B&O H6s a few times...nice headphones, but not nice enough to buy IMO and add them to the comparisons. Sorry. YMMV.

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #784 of 4,373

Sorry, I think I've mentioned this, but the L2s are open (I know they're semi-open...but that's like semi pregnant) and as a result, I won't consider them as part of this thread (portable headphones for on the go). 
redface.gif

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #787 of 4,373
  Sorry, I think I've mentioned this, but the L2s are open (I know they're semi-open...but that's like semi pregnant) and as a result, I won't consider them as part of this thread (portable headphones for on the go). 
redface.gif

I understand and respect your parameters. But, I wish that you could somehow include some of these other headphones like the 7520 or the L2. Another thread maybe? It could just be "MacHero's headphone comparison thread" - it would be a major hit! 
smile.gif

What did you find them lacking in?

I'm curious too. From what I'm reading, they compete very well with the big boys (in fact, I don't know how I will resist getting them).

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #788 of 4,373
I understand and respect your parameters. But, I wish that you could somehow include some of these other headphones like the 7520 or the L2. Another thread maybe? It could just be "MacHero's headphone comparison thread" - it would be a major hit! :smile:

I'm curious too. From what I'm reading, they compete very well with the big boys (in fact, I don't know how I will resist getting them).

You guys can discuss whatever portable headphones you like, but as I mentioned in my original post when I started this comparison, it was to find a really good pair of portable on the go headphones. So for my purposes, I won't be considering them (L2s). :)

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #789 of 4,373
for me L2 did not have the midrange clarity or focus of some of the better portable closed cans. they just did not wow me I even preferred the HD 26 Pro and the nad over the l2. this is so hard to do on a mobile device. 0 now the Fidelio x1 is a different story, very nice but not part of this group

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #790 of 4,373
redface.gif

Indeed they are semi closed [let's think at the bright side of it]. 

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #791 of 4,373
Seems like l2 would be best as a pair of office cans; block out enough sound with music playing and not leak too much, but still able to hear someone calling your name. This is the best (only) use for semi-open cans to me.

I don't know why they're described as portable and in the review they talk about using them on the train. I'd never do that; that's what closed portables are for, to isolate as much as possible and not leak - so MH is right l2 doesn't really belong in this thread.

It's a bit of a weird niche product I think... Let's hope the x2 is a step up for a home open HP too and I might consider those..

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #793 of 4,373
I guess it depends how noisy your trains are :)
Here in Melbourne we have very noisy trams and that's my main form of PT. Trains aren't much better thanks to the pointless timber sleepers that still exist, and fairly old models..
Also when it is jam packed so you can't move you have to deal with people yabbering to eachother, on the phone, playing games or loud music with THEIR open/ ****-isolating headphones/earbuds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back