Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jan 9, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #2,791 of 4,373
His review is too subjective. I would ignore it.
I wouldn't even consider it a review... more like the wild opinions of a single person.
He's one of the guys who's ears are too big for Senn Momentums, so he doesn't get a good bass-seal - so naturally he ranks them 13th for sound quality which is simply ridiculous.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #2,792 of 4,373
I'm looking at either the K545 or Soundmagic HP150
I'd like a somewhat balanced sound with a fun or engaging edge.
The two seem to be directly competitive but I haven't found a back to back comparison as yet. I had a look at the specs and they are so close! this might be helpful to others :)

K545                    HP150
Impedance:          32                         32
Weight:                280g                     280g
Drivers:              50mm.                 53mm
freq range:       10-25khz.           10-30khz
sensitivity:           97db                    95db

Frequency response for HP150:   http://cdn.head-fi.org/c/c4/c40f8288_DSC_0261.jpeg
                                       for K545:      http://0.tqn.com/y/stereos/1/S/b/8/-/-/FR.jpg

Pads on the HP150 look a little thicker. It also seems to have more subbass and less upper mids.

Given that, I don't know which is richer and more engaging? I loved the fullness and tonality of the Momentum but wanted more vibrancy. I listen to alternative, Jazz, Blues, rock, some classical and dubstep.

Opinions from people who've heard either are very appreciated.

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #2,793 of 4,373
I wouldn't even consider it a review... more like the wild opinions of a single person.
He's one of the guys who's ears are too big for Senn Momentums, so he doesn't get a good bass-seal - so naturally he ranks them 13th for sound quality which is simply ridiculous.

I agree.  I am not a fan of the Momentums but that is much too low.  He has included headphones which he has only listened to in stores so I cannot take this "mega" review seriously.

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #2,794 of 4,373
I appreciate the effort that MH put into the project, he knows more than I do, he's always interesting, he's terrifically organized, and he gives us a lot to think about.

Me personally, I find myself wanting to strenuously disagree with MH more often than not, but that's part of what makes him interesting to me, he challenges my own assumptions and predilections.

Jude Mansilla, Steve Gutenberg, and Tyll Hertsens are the industry insiders I respect and rely on the most. I enjoy HiFiGuy 528's videos quite a bit and always look forward to them. Sometimes I am in complete agreement, and other times, I am not sure, but he is always worth watching.

Joker is my go to guy for iem advice.

Dale Thorn has opened my ears to the possibility of EQing certain headphones to get the most out of them.

And there are some folks right here on Head Fi whose opinions I respect a great deal.

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #2,795 of 4,373
  there are 2 missing portable headphones that i wonder how they will chime out with the rest.

1. Beyer AT 1350 A
2. Beyer T51i

Exactly. 
smile.gif
  The T51i = T51p (just with an iDevice control on the cable...no other differences)

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #2,796 of 4,373

Just a qualification on my listing (not the one from the non-Head-Fi list). The reason I ranked the over-ear Momentums 12th (I've actually owned them twice) was not a poor seal...I got a great seal for bass actually. Instead it was the top end that I ranked them at this level...Don't get me wrong, I CAN appreciated headphones with "pushed back" treble like the LCD-2 or HD650s.

But the over-ear Momentums pushed it too far back to my ears...so far back that Chris Botti's trumpet was heard playing behind the bass and drummer. The on-ears do a much better job in this regard. This is eventually why I sold them twice and ranked them there. Everything else was quite spot on from the construction to the bass and mids. Hopefully the new Momentums have addressed this and knowing Sennheiser (I have been a big fan for years and my HD800s have been with my for 5 years and aren't going anywhere) they most likely have.

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #2,797 of 4,373
I appreciate the effort that MH put into the project, he knows more than I do, he's always interesting, he's terrifically organized, and he gives us a lot to think about.

Me personally, I find myself wanting to strenuously disagree with MH more often than not, but that's part of what makes him interesting to me, he challenges my own assumptions and predilections.

Jude Mansilla, Steve Gutenberg, and Tyll Hertsens are the industry insiders I respect and rely on the most. I enjoy HiFiGuy 528's videos quite a bit and always look forward to them. Sometimes I am in complete agreement, and other times, I am not sure, but he is always worth watching.

Joker is my go to guy for iem advice.

Dale Thorn has opened my ears to the possibility of EQing certain headphones to get the most out of them.

And there are some folks right here on Head Fi whose opinions I respect a great deal.

Thanks man...while we might not always agree, that's to be expected as so much of this is subjective. 
redface.gif

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #2,798 of 4,373

Just a qualification on my listing (not the one from the non-Head-Fi list). The reason I ranked the over-ear Momentums 12th (I've actually owned them twice) was not a poor seal...I got a great seal for bass actually. Instead it was the top end that I ranked them at this level...Don't get me wrong, I CAN appreciated headphones with "pushed back" treble like the LCD-2 or HD650s.

But the over-ear Momentums pushed it too far back to my ears...so far back that Chris Botti's trumpet was heard playing behind the bass and drummer. The on-ears do a much better job in this regard. This is eventually why I sold them twice and ranked them there. Everything else was quite spot on from the construction to the bass and mids. Hopefully the new Momentums have addressed this and knowing Sennheiser (I have been a big fan for years and my HD800s have been with my for 5 years and aren't going anywhere) they most likely have.

I am on my second go round with Momentum over ear...and I am enjoying them much more this time. Not sure why but I am glad I picked them up again.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #2,800 of 4,373

Excellent!

The first time I had them I couldn't even give them a  week...I had an instant dislike for them. I re read so many reviews old and new I was like maybe I just didn't give them a chance. With high quality FLAC they can really shine. I get where folks feel there is a veil...sometimes it's there sometimes it's not.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #2,801 of 4,373

I just sold my Momentums due to this fact. Much prefer my Amperiors for all around use. Hopefully sometime i will listen to the HD800's, cant justify the price though.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #2,802 of 4,373

The first time I had them I couldn't even give them a  week...I had an instant dislike for them. I re read so many reviews old and new I was like maybe I just didn't give them a chance. With high quality FLAC they can really shine. I get where folks feel there is a veil...sometimes it's there sometimes it's not.

Have you tried the on-ears?

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #2,803 of 4,373

Have you tried the on-ears?

Yes I did...if you remember I stumbled in to my local Best Buy and they had them on sale for $99.00   I should have kept them for that price alone, but those were a bit uncomfortable to me. For on ears I have kept my T51p's the longest.  I really enjoyed the XS sound signature if the isolation had been better. I think of the 3 mentioned it would be T51p's---close 2nd XS----Momentum on ear.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #2,804 of 4,373

Yes I did...if you remember I stumbled in to my local Best Buy and they had them on sale for $99.00   I should have kept them for that price alone, but those were a bit uncomfortable to me. For on ears I have kept my T51p's the longest.  I really enjoyed the XS sound signature if the isolation had been better. I think of the 3 mentioned it would be T51p's---close 2nd XS----Momentum on ear.

That's right I forgot.

I'm very curious to see how the Momentum 2's sound. They look quite intriguing. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #2,805 of 4,373
  That's right I forgot.

I'm very curious to see how the Momentum 2's sound. They look quite intriguing. 

Me too...can't wait to hear your thoughts. I received my Fidelio X2 today so it is consuming my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back