Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jan 10, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #2,823 of 4,373
  I can't believe I am saying this, but I guess I care about headphone looks besides the sound LOL.   Apologize in advance if I offend some  hardcore headphone fans.   For portable use I normally use IEM, but I decided to get a set of portable headphones to use once in while.  I enjoyed the VMODA XS sound signature, really fun, and I like the way they looked but they were too loose on my head, they didn't feel secure.  I bought them used, so probably that was the reason, but If I am buying a pair of portable headphones I expect them to have enough clamping force so they stay put if I bend or move my head suddenly.  
I recently acquired the Amperior and to be honest, I gave them to a family member because for me they looked so weird, I could not see myself as a 40 something walking with those things around.  They sounded good, but wow now I get it, when some people say that looks matter.  I felt that I looked like a weird sport broadcaster wannabe LOL. I am sure its me been too self conscious but seriously I thought they looked horrible.

I think my favorite in sound so far were the T-51s but again the looks were not to my liking, although way better that the Amperiors.  While they were fairly small and confortable I did not like the way the deep ear cups look.  

So far my favorite are the B&W P5, they look like something a mature person would wear. LOL  Although Ill be honest the Beat Solo 2 didn't look that bad.  But If I were to buy a set of portable right now I would buy the P5.  

Anyway, I think to be honest all my complaining show that may be I am not a portable headphone person. 

For home listening, I love my Alpha Dogs, but you would never see me with those puppies in the mall 

Just curious anybody else, having similar views,

Thanks,

i had the xs and just to let you know its probably not because they were used. the xs are a loose fitting headphone, if i were to lie down on my bed with them they do move and shift on my head. i definitely don't know how val kolton was able to run with the xs

the amperiors clamp much harder but are so much more secure, and i prefer the way the sound to the xs, cleaner, faster and tighter, and the treble has this nice sparkle and aggression to it. it was a bit bright at first but the detail and the clarity it had over the xs made it a no brainer for me. i havne't heard of a on ear headphone that had this combination of great isolation, and clean treble (the MOE had the clean treble down but the isolation was not up to par)  

i recently purchased a pair of the philips downotwn ( its an older model and low cost retail is $99) i got it much cheaper, but it had the great isolation fantastic for on ears (amongst the best in this class) but the treble was much more artificial sounding ( i shouldn't be expecting too much cause its a lot cheaper but something to mention)

so i traded away the xs for the amperiors ( and i loved the white pearl colour and fell in love with the v-moda design of the xs)

i totally agree with you that looks are important for portable headphones! that should be the case for all headphones but i think the amperiors look okay at least from the front anyway (even around the neck too). I'm dressed really sloppy here, and i didn't do my hair today. i dress like a typical asian teenager- early 20s (black skinny jeans, with a grey cardigan with a white v neck underneath yesterday) not fancy but you get the idea.... amperiors don't look great but i don't get stares.... not that im aware anyway....

For portable headphones, I totally agree that looks count. I'm in my early/mid 40s and I think styling matters.

haha i'm in my early 20s and i agree with you my friend. you can never be old to a bit self-conscious about walking outside with two monster tires around your ears haha looks matter!
I hear ya, portable phones need to sound good, be portable, feel good, and look good

amen!

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #2,824 of 4,373
I can not wait to hear impressions about Sennheiser Momentum 2's over the ear headphones. First are the pads a touch larger and how do they sound?. I almost got the 1 st generation momentum's but was afraid my ears might not fit. Hope everyone has a good one j a miming out on their rigs..:)

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #2,825 of 4,373
I can not wait to hear impressions about Sennheiser Momentum 2's over the ear headphones. First are the pads a touch larger and how do they sound?. I almost got the 1 st generation momentum's but was afraid my ears might not fit. Hope everyone has a good one j a miming out on their rigs..
smily_headphones1.gif

they are without a doubt larger heres a link to a couple of pictures i saw on the other thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647474/sennheiser-momentum-impressions-thread/675#post_11197888

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #2,826 of 4,373
  I can't believe I am saying this, but I guess I care about headphone looks besides the sound LOL.   Apologize in advance if I offend some  hardcore headphone fans.   For portable use I normally use IEM, but I decided to get a set of portable headphones to use once in while.  I enjoyed the VMODA XS sound signature, really fun, and I like the way they looked but they were too loose on my head, they didn't feel secure.  I bought them used, so probably that was the reason, but If I am buying a pair of portable headphones I expect them to have enough clamping force so they stay put if I bend or move my head suddenly.  
I recently acquired the Amperior and to be honest, I gave them to a family member because for me they looked so weird, I could not see myself as a 40 something walking with those things around.  They sounded good, but wow now I get it, when some people say that looks matter.  I felt that I looked like a weird sport broadcaster wannabe LOL. I am sure its me been too self conscious but seriously I thought they looked horrible.

I think my favorite in sound so far were the T-51s but again the looks were not to my liking, although way better that the Amperiors.  While they were fairly small and confortable I did not like the way the deep ear cups look.  

So far my favorite are the B&W P5, they look like something a mature person would wear. LOL  Although Ill be honest the Beat Solo 2 didn't look that bad.  But If I were to buy a set of portable right now I would buy the P5.  

Anyway, I think to be honest all my complaining show that may be I am not a portable headphone person. 

For home listening, I love my Alpha Dogs, but you would never see me with those puppies in the mall 

Just curious anybody else, having similar views,

Thanks,

I wear my HD25-1 with red Oyaide cable in the gym (if I am not wearing in-ears).

I am as well in my 40s and since I am working in an industry where looks and appearance make a difference (and the chance of bumping into business partners is high) I also don't want to look as geekish as I am :wink: The Amperior are pretty cool I think but I wouldn't wear these headphones while walking around either. Maybe the KEF500? They could look ok. 

I once saw someone with the PSB M4U2 on his head and I thought to myself, I am glad he is enjoying his music, but while walking around, I can't see myself doing this. While sitting in a Coffee Shop, absolutely. While walking the mall/streets - no way.

On the other hand, I totally understand people who give a hoot about what other's think. They enjoy their music and don't care about anything else. I actually wish I could do that too. Nothing says: I don't want to talk to anyone like a full size headphone. :wink:

Cheers,
K
PS: Walking around with the Momentum is quite ok, no strange looks so far. They look not like gigantic button on your ears like the Amperior/T50p. Also, the Onkyo HS-FC300 are not too bad, with the nice flat finish.

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #2,827 of 4,373

For portable headphones, I totally agree that looks count. I'm in my early/mid 40s and I think styling matters.

Dude...I am 51 and yes style matters. I am as interested as most about the new Momentums...but the price is going to be a consideration for
the same sound signature.

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #2,828 of 4,373
I'm still on a quest for a good looking, great sounding, gym headphone. All of the young punks are wearing the beats studios (I think). As much as I try to stay the headfi line, they look fine and sound good. But $300.. I also see a few nice looking sony's at the gym. I like sony (at least my vintage sony's), so I could see myself going there.

Any suggestions?

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #2,830 of 4,373

They are great noise cancelling headphones...and likely the best to date!

I am flying to Peru soon(this Thursday) and I am so glad I got these for Christmas.

Coming from the Alpha Dogs, the Bose QC25 has a sound that took some adjusting too but overall they sound incredible for how lightweight they are and the noise cancelling doesn't mess up the sound either.

The angled drivers inside the earcups and perforated earpads show just how much engineering and thought Bose put into a mass-produced headphone in order to get the sound right.

I also thought they were going to be cheaper feeling but the aluminum alloy earcups were a pleasant surprise. A very nice gift
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #2,831 of 4,373
Lol I tried to walk around the mall, with the Alpha Dogs on but soon had to leave, felt to greekish lol. I want to demo the new momentum 2 over the years headphones, they look fairly cool.

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #2,832 of 4,373
If you're not set on over ear headphones, I'd have to recommend the Jaybird Bluebuds X. They sound great, look great, and are very comfortable. Great for gym use.

Those look great - how is the isolation?

But yeah, I'm looking for headphones for the gym. They have to look good with a fairly low profile, be comfortable, have great isolation and sound great. Most likely over ears as well, since on ears are generally uncomfortable for me (the t51p's were comfy, but not low profile).

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #2,834 of 4,373

I am flying to Peru soon(this Thursday) and I am so glad I got these for Christmas.

Coming from the Alpha Dogs, the Bose QC25 has a sound that took some adjusting too but overall they sound incredible for how lightweight they are and the noise cancelling doesn't mess up the sound either.

The angled drivers inside the earcups and perforated earpads show just how much engineering and thought Bose put into a mass-produced headphone in order to get the sound right.

I also thought they were going to be cheaper feeling but the aluminum alloy earcups were a pleasant surprise. A very nice gift
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice! The other bonus of the QC25s is that you can use them to simply tune out the airplane and just sit back in your cone of silence and relax (with or without music playing).

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #2,835 of 4,373
I just picked up some QC25's this week.  Looks like they will be the second headphone I've kept since buying my P7's in November of 2013.  The noise cancelling is unreal, and the sound is actually surprisingly good.  I also kept the Beats Studio Wireless, which if they had thicker pads would get used more.  I feel like all 3 of these have pretty similar sound signatures - from someone who isn't a very analytical listener.  I just want something engaging that doesn't sound "off" to me.  I've tried probably 6 others that have just not sounded right to my ears.  I still favor the P7 from purely listening, but the Beats give me wireless and mediocre noise cancellation without much SQ loss, and the Bose give me crazy noise cancellation without much SQ loss.  Very happy with this trio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back