Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jan 15, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #2,836 of 4,373
  I just picked up some QC25's this week.  Looks like they will be the second headphone I've kept since buying my P7's in November of 2013.  The noise cancelling is unreal, and the sound is actually surprisingly good.  I also kept the Beats Studio Wireless, which if they had thicker pads would get used more.  I feel like all 3 of these have pretty similar sound signatures - from someone who isn't a very analytical listener.  I just want something engaging that doesn't sound "off" to me.  I've tried probably 6 others that have just not sounded right to my ears.  I still favor the P7 from purely listening, but the Beats give me wireless and mediocre noise cancellation without much SQ loss, and the Bose give me crazy noise cancellation without much SQ loss.  Very happy with this trio.

They are very impressive NC headphones. I thought the QC15s or QC20s were amazing, but Bose was able to squeeze out even better performance from their noise cancelling circuitry.

In case anyone is interested, I'm thinning the herd a bit and my Momentum On-Ears (blue) are for sale per my sig. below. 
smile.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #2,837 of 4,373
Been enjoying my thinksound on1s, and I just want to thank the headfiers who encouraged me to purchase them. Thank you! :)

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #2,838 of 4,373
Great thread. Hey guys I am looking for a nice headphone. I have several very good IEMs and want a pair of headphones to change a bit. I have a pair of ATH-ES10 and love them but they are not so comfortable and isolation sucks. Key aspects for me are SQ, balanced and spacious with good bass, but well controlled, isolation and comfortable, and beautiful design. So for instance uglys like the Nad are a no-go. I am eying the T51p, MH40, H6 and ATH-MSR7. Ideas?

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #2,839 of 4,373
Great thread. Hey guys I am looking for a nice headphone. I have several very good IEMs and want a pair of headphones to change a bit. I have a pair of ATH-ES10 and love them but they are not so comfortable and isolation sucks. Key aspects for me are SQ, balanced and spacious with good bass, but well controlled, isolation and comfortable, and beautiful design. So for instance uglys like the Nad are a no-go. I am eying the T51p, MH40, H6 and ATH-MSR7. Ideas?

Beautiful design is a matter of preference. Isolation would count out the XS but it hits the other aspects. T51p is a solid player...I think it benefits from the nudge of an amp, even portable amp, I use my E11 with the X5 even though the X5 drives them fine.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #2,840 of 4,373
Beautiful design is a matter of preference. Isolation would count out the XS but it hits the other aspects. T51p is a solid player...I think it benefits from the nudge of an amp, even portable amp, I use my E11 with the X5 even though the X5 drives them fine.
Thanks. I use RWAK240, Cowon P1 or Tera.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #2,841 of 4,373
Quick question...I used to travel  a lot, but don't anymore. Would that be the main reason for the QC25
Thanks. I use RWAK240, Cowon P1 or Tera.

I think you would like the T51p but wait for others to chime in

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #2,844 of 4,373

The Ath-msr7 lacks subbass quantity, and the midbass is decent in quantity. Is that good for you? 

The upper mids may sound sibilant to you, and a bit nasal.

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #2,845 of 4,373
If you are looking for something stylish I listened to the B&W P2 S2 and they sounded nice with good isolation.  I still prefer the beyers but for looks B&W take my vote.  I wish I could have compared with other headphones but it was at the apple store and I was just wearing my iem.

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #2,847 of 4,373
  Hum thanks, seems like T51p is better suited than the ATH...

I think that'd be a good choice.

Besides, the ath is suited towards vocals and instruments. Not so much of a whole balanced package as I hoped.

However, the nasal voice only becomes apparent if you have a headphone that does not emphasize the upper mids, which is what the thinksound on1 did to me. Despite that, it's a good headphone, just not suited to the genres that you may look for. Ath-msr7 is good for rock, metal, jazz, and classical.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #2,849 of 4,373
Well, as things have changed in my life (and all of our house renovations are done), I've settled back into my main desktop rig. As a result, between my Sure SE535s and QC25s, I've got my portables all set. As a result, (I never thought I'd do this), but I've listed my beloved beyer T51p's for sale. 
eek.gif

Please see my signature if you're interested. 
redface.gif

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #2,850 of 4,373
Picked up some QC25 and am really trying to like them. Something a little artificial about the sound, but I can't put my finger on it. Need to listen more. It is kinda like hearing Beats are not very good for so long all I can think of  is "No hi's., No lows...Bose" Trying to keep an open mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back