Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Sep 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #361 of 4,373
The more and more i read abt headphones, the more and more desire grows. I just realised how meaningful the phrase- sorry abt ur wallet is! Hahahaha. At the moment i ll just stick on to reading about headphones. Meanwhile i ll save to buy one of the best headphones.

Start with the KEF M500! It really is phenomenal and won't break your bank. To be frankly honest, I think it's the best closed, stock-form headphone I've listened to 
blink.gif

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #363 of 4,373
Best closed headphone period I've heard.

I'd love to see MacedonianHero review and compare the Mad Dog 3.2. Personally, the Mad Dog 3.2 was rivaling the HD600 and putting the hurt on other closed headphones I've heard. I know it benefits from an amp more than the others here...so maybe it is out of the realm of this comparison. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #366 of 4,373
  Can the KEF M500 really be called closed? I've never liked supraaural headphones much.

With memory form pads, there is little/no open spacae between the headphones and skin. Back is also closed so very little sound leaks out. It is a closed headphones.

Yes, I hate on-the-ear headphones as wearing glasses, I can't wear my Grados for more than 30 minutes.. But for KEF's case, the form is really soft, and the pressure caused by the headband is very little, allowing me to wear them for hours.

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #367 of 4,373
^ Yup, they are incredibly comfortable. The only other on-ears that are as comfortable (that i have tried) are the sportapro drivers on parts express headband lol

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #369 of 4,373
  I listened at many of the headphones on this thread.. Momentum, PSU, MDR-1R, beats (already own), plus a bunch of others I posted about. I got some second hand A900's (not the X) for $100. Comfort and sound quality it beats all of these, and is very very close to the LCD2 when I compare them side by side with a good FLAC/optical/DAC/amp system. The A900 aren't at all portable, not even slightly, but I'd love to hear MacedonianHero's comparison.

I'd love to hear the A900s. I owned the W3000s; and while I would never consider them portable headphones, I really enjoyed their sound. I'll see if I can snag a pair of A900s for a loan to listen to.

Thanks for the heads up. 

I'd love to see MacedonianHero review and compare the Mad Dog 3.2. Personally, the Mad Dog 3.2 was rivaling the HD600 and putting the hurt on other closed headphones I've heard. I know it benefits from an amp more than the others here...so maybe it is out of the realm of this comparison. 

Me too. 
redface.gif
 See above...these are on my list to try and get for an audition for sure.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #370 of 4,373

Me too. 
redface.gif
 See above...these are on my list to try and get for an audition for sure.

Can they really be considered portable though? 
Or just for advancement of science?

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #372 of 4,373

I still would consider them portables as they're based on the Fostex cans that are not too big and quite efficient. 

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #373 of 4,373
Compare 10 headphones at same time ... You definitely spent hundreds of hours for testing, thanks for sharing. I wonder if you can compare the higher headphones such as HE400, HD650 ...etc , that'd be very great 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #374 of 4,373

I still would consider them portables as they're based on the Fostex cans that are not too big and quite efficient. 

Agreed, they are efficient, but the stock cables terminate with a 6,3mm plug and are quite long....  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back