Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 27, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #2,941 of 4,373
I listened tot he z7 all night long and thou it is not bad, it is nothing special either. To my ears, it is pretty similar sounding tot he denon d600 but with more natural mids.
Today i got the momentum m2 and i like it much better even out oft he box. Bass is not as fatiguing as with the sony. Soundstage – thou not as wide as the sony – is pretty good for a closed back portable.
It will be very hard to compare tot he t51p. we will see, which one i like better in the end. But with the afore mentiones denon, the new closed back audeze and the oppo pm3 it will become a hard summer…for my wallet J

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #2,942 of 4,373
Howdy Sofa, I figured your comments about the Z7 would be like what you have posted. I suggest you plug them in and let them burn in playing music for a few days while you test out the M2. the bass does settle down a bit and the treble becomes more forward, helping to balance their sound out a bit.

Having said that they have a definite signature tilt that will not be for everyone. I am so used to this sound now, I no longer like most other signatures as I find them to stressful to my ears.

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #2,944 of 4,373
I am still really liking the t51i. Somewhat of an unfair fight comparing to an over ear unless the M2 is really comfortable while wearing glasses. I find the t51i beats the HP50 in that regard. The M2 fold ability looks good though.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #2,945 of 4,373
  I'm thinking about Momentums M2 and old version.  I just can see spending twice as much since I can get the old version for $180.  I can't convince myself to spend $350 on the M2.  Only thing I'm concerned about is the size.

By the way nice thread.  

Only headphones I own now are the AE2i.  The sound isolation is really important because I work in a small office with only 2 people.  The AE2i have great isolation.  I bought these for $80 when they were discontinued.  I bought them just because of the discount but wanting to upgrade now.  So that's one reason I'm not sure if I should get the old momentum's or no, I don't want to get them just because of the discount.

The old version, and undoubtedly the M2, do not isolate.  I would recommend looking into other headphones.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #2,946 of 4,373

The old version, and undoubtedly the M2, do not isolate.  I would recommend looking into other headphones.

Huh...MadMax have you listened to M2? They isolate very good.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #2,947 of 4,373

I saw a review were they played the first version at 100% and it was still isolating much better than any other headphone I have seen.  And on the front page here they say its even better with M2.   

The Bose AE2i are enough isolation for me at the volume I listen to.  So I think both Momentums are going to be at same level.  But if I'm wrong please let me know.  I actually have no idea.

What my main question was though is new ones worth 2x the price over the old ones?

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #2,948 of 4,373
I am still really liking the t51i. Somewhat of an unfair fight comparing to an over ear unless the M2 is really comfortable while wearing glasses. I find the t51i beats the HP50 in that regard. The M2 fold ability looks good though.

Point well taken.  It's a testament to how good the t51p is given how well it holds its own in the sound and comfort department as an on-ear against the around-ear M2.

The earpads on the M2 are really soft, I generally don't wear headphones with my glasses on and I don't have clunky glasses with thick arms but for the short periods I've had both on, I didn't have any issues with comfort or seal.

The double entry cables on the T51p were a pet peeve of mine and no matter how comfy the T51p is for being on-ears, I still preferred full sized headphones.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #2,949 of 4,373
Dan,

Thanks for the suggestion of the Denon, but also for Frazey Ford.  I spent an hour with her this morning and I love the music!  I have two comments:

1)  Bose will upgrade your QC15's to a brand new pair of their QC25 for $200 if there is anything at all wrong with them. I did that and while the sound is still not in the same league as other cans, the isolation is amazing, it's more comfortable (I also wear glasses) and to me, the bass is more detailed and the highs are less strident.

2)  I'm going to look out for someone selling their AH MM400's or Momentum 2's (or a good sale) to use for times that extreme isolation less important than musical quality.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #2,950 of 4,373
You all seem to be singing the praises of the T51p....

I just received my pair, and gave them an 8 hour burn-in on white noise. Listening to them now with my Hifiman HM-650 and a variety of amps, I am finding the sound dark, muffled and veiled, with overblown, fatiguing bass. Heck, they sound like Beats!

On the plus side, they are incredibly well built, isolate almost perfectly, are comfortable and have an incredible soundstage for an on-ear.

Will the resolution, transparency and bass tightness improve with burn-in?

If not, they are going back.

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #2,951 of 4,373

I just received my pair, and gave them an 8 hour burn-in on white noise. Listening to them now with my Hifiman HM-650 and a variety of amps, I am finding the sound dark, muffled and veiled, with overblown, fatiguing bass. Heck, they sound like Beats!

On the plus side, they are incredibly well built, isolate almost perfectly, are comfortable and have an incredible soundstage for an on-ear.

My impression on the t51p is the same as yours. Have tried a few different pairs all with the same results.

Now I take the remarks made by those who had praised the t51p with a pinch of salt since I know that we share a very different opinion on sound.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #2,952 of 4,373

I doubt the sound is going to physically change with burn in.  If you're coming from really bright headphones maybe your ears will adjust.

But if you think the T51p sounds like a pair of Beats, you're better off returning them.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #2,953 of 4,373
My impression on the t51p is the same as yours. Have tried a few different pairs all with the same results.

Now I take the remarks made by those who had praised the t51p with a pinch of salt since I know that we share a very different opinion on sound.

Everyone's ears are different and one person's "neutral" is another's "bassy" and yet another's "bright."  When reading headphone reviews, I give more weight to those reviewers I know to have the same sound preferences as I do.

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #2,954 of 4,373
I just received my pair, and gave them an 8 hour burn-in on white noise.

You should never use white noise to break-in headphones (or speakers) because it has equal energy at all frequencies, which never naturally occurs in music, and playback at a high volume level for an extended time will cause the driver's voicecoils to overheat and fail.  Pink noise is a little better, but is still not recommended.

Just make a playlist of some well recorded and dynamic sounding songs and run it at a healthy volume level for the desired break-in time.

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #2,955 of 4,373
Thats new to me. I have always used pink noise for burn in. Do you happen to have any links to discussions or articles about voice coils over heating because of pink noise? I'd like to read more about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back