Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 25, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #2,927 of 4,373
  any comparison between the m2 and the z7 yet?

I don't think that would be fair as I consider the Z7 a desktop pair of headphones and they cost quite a bit more than the M2s. I would not take the Z7s with me out of my house.

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #2,928 of 4,373

The Oppos are very intriguing. Is there a price point yet? For me, right now of everything I've heard, the M2s are a no brainer if you're looking for great closed headphones that isolate very well, are comfortable, portable and enjoyed the sound of the originals (but wanted more treble presence and better sound staging). 

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #2,929 of 4,373
  Peter,

Nice review.  I think it is spot on. I as well think they deserve the top spot. As much as I enjoyed the HP50 and the T51p the M2 is a notch better. The sq, comfort and build quality make them the complete package. While the drivers may be the same they are clearly tuned differently. My hats off to Sennheiser for listening to their customers. I really wasn't a fan of the first gen. Momentum, and I bought them twice to make sure and returned them both times. Nice job with the improved Momentum. Listening to some VH 1984 in FLAC and smiling as I type this. The soundstage and imaging .... Eddie never sounded better.

I couldn't wait and ended up ordering the M2 around-ears.  Got them today and been using them for a couple of hours.  Wow.  Just wow.  No regrets so far selling off my T51p to get these.  A definite contender to knock the T51p out of the #1 spot on MH's list.

A definite tightening up of the bass.  I previously returned a pair of original Momentum around-ears because the bass sounded loose and bloated and my ears were squashed by the small ear cups.  The larger ear cups are definitely an improvement.  However, the M2 does seem a lot more clampy than the original.  Hopefully these will loosen up over time.

I love how Rodrigo y Gabriela's live recording of "Take Five" sounds on the M2.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b6O1o67CXU (the Youtube recording obviously doesn't do it justice but you'll get the picture).

Me likely.  :)

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #2,930 of 4,373
The Oppos are very intriguing. Is there a price point yet? For me, right now of everything I've heard, the M2s are a no brainer if you're looking for great closed headphones that isolate very well, are comfortable, portable and enjoyed the sound of the originals (but wanted more treble presence and better sound staging). 

i believe Oppos will go for 399

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #2,931 of 4,373

I don't think that would be fair as I consider the Z7 a desktop pair of headphones and they cost quite a bit more than the M2s. I would not take the Z7s with me out of my house.

Plus, the Z7 leak too much, they are "Closed" in the special Sony sense of the word "closed" 
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #2,933 of 4,373
i get the m2 and z7 today, so i will compare them to my t51p soon.
Look forward to your impressions. The Z7 will change over the first week.

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #2,934 of 4,373
  I couldn't wait and ended up ordering the M2 around-ears.  Got them today and been using them for a couple of hours.  Wow.  Just wow.  No regrets so far selling off my T51p to get these.  A definite contender to knock the T51p out of the #1 spot on MH's list.

A definite tightening up of the bass.  I previously returned a pair of original Momentum around-ears because the bass sounded loose and bloated and my ears were squashed by the small ear cups.  The larger ear cups are definitely an improvement.  However, the M2 does seem a lot more clampy than the original.  Hopefully these will loosen up over time.

I love how Rodrigo y Gabriela's live recording of "Take Five" sounds on the M2.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b6O1o67CXU (the Youtube recording obviously doesn't do it justice but you'll get the picture).

Me likely.  :)

Hey congrats! That's pretty much in line with my experiences as well. 
beerchug.gif

i believe Oppos will go for 399

Thanks!

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #2,935 of 4,373
Sounds like they have addressed the issues that bothered me the most about the original Momentums. Count me interested.

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #2,936 of 4,373
I'm thinking about Momentums M2 and old version.  I just can see spending twice as much since I can get the old version for $180.  I can't convince myself to spend $350 on the M2.  Only thing I'm concerned about is the size.

By the way nice thread.  

Only headphones I own now are the AE2i.  The sound isolation is really important because I work in a small office with only 2 people.  The AE2i have great isolation.  I bought these for $80 when they were discontinued.  I bought them just because of the discount but wanting to upgrade now.  So that's one reason I'm not sure if I should get the old momentum's or no, I don't want to get them just because of the discount.

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #2,937 of 4,373
  An unusual question:

I play poker for a living, often in very noisy poker rooms. The question is this: does the aggregate noise of voices and microphone announcements combine to create a "somewhat" singular frequency that can be eliminated with NC headphones like the Bose 25?

More info:  I will upgrade to a phone with a better DAC in a couple of months, but I now listen with TIDAL from the SD card in my the Galaxy S4.  I prefer accuracy to big bass and I'm sensitive to over-bright highs;  as I love voice and vocal harmonies, a somewhat bigger midrange is ok with me.

I own the Bose 15 and I find the sound disappointing and I'm leaning toward Momentum 2.0 since with TIDAL, sound quality is more important, but poker room noise must be at least significantly reduced.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Paul

Let me suggest the Denon AH-MM400s. Leakage - none at all.  For my ears a better phone than the Momentum 2.0 - a nicer sound and better comfort. I have a small head and I didn't like the metal that was exposed on the Sennheisers as no adjustment was necessary. The Denons are phenomenal. I listened to Frazey Ford's Indian Ocean in bed last night - a truly stunning reproduction.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #2,938 of 4,373
Subbed!
popcorn.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #2,939 of 4,373
Let me suggest the Denon AH-MM400s. Leakage - none at all.  For my ears a better phone than the Momentum 2.0 - a nicer sound and better comfort. I have a small head and I didn't like the metal that was exposed on the Sennheisers as no adjustment was necessary. The Denons are phenomenal. I listened to Frazey Ford's Indian Ocean in bed last night - a truly stunning reproduction.

Oh, are those portable? I didn' t see but a couple of reviews and am not sure those are a very portable hp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back