Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Aug 25, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #212 of 4,373
Have the PSB for a while and really love them. They are quite big on the head that's for sure, and this is not a pair of headphones you'd wear on the street because it's big and wit the noise cancelling (really effective) you could not hear the cars :)

Besides the isolation is really good as well as the comfort they sit tight on your ears and the foam is good quality, the sound is bassy but never too much. 
Another key point is that with flat batteries you can still listen to your music :)

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #214 of 4,373
Very good review!

I have owned the Bose QC-2 for a number of years (since before I got interested in audiophile headphones). I agree they have top-notch NC but are sub-par sound wise.

So in recent years, I have begun wearing my Etymotic IEMs underneath my Bose's when I fly. The Bose's isolate the low frequency airplane noise like no other headphone while the Etymotics isolate the higher frequency noise. Combined, I get twice the noise isolation and the outstanding audio reproduction of the Etymotics.

Since the Etys come in a small soft pouch, they fit right inside my Bose carry case (along with my Sansa Clip, iPod Touch, and spare AAA battery). This is an outstanding travel setup!

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #215 of 4,373
Quote:
Yes, everyone is different.  I jettisoned the Momentums in favor of the Amperiors as well.  Not perfect, but they get the tone right for me on most stuff.  That does not preclude me from seeking out another headphone to see if I gel with it in the future.

We all hear differently. I like the Amperiors actually. Just heard that Sennheiser discontinued them. The end of a legend as they replaced the HD25-II. I might add them to this comparison if I can snag one cheap. That said, expect some of these headphones to go up for sale as I can't justify owning 5 portable headphones.
Quote:
I found the Momentum vastly superior to the Amperior sound wise. The Amperior sounded hard and nasal compared. 

I find the Momentums superior too...but not night and day better. Being on-ears, I think the Amperiors need a lot of fiddling to get them to sit just right. 
Quote:
Very good review!

I have owned the Bose QC-2 for a number of years (since before I got interested in audiophile headphones). I agree they have top-notch NC but are sub-par sound wise.

So in recent years, I have begun wearing my Etymotic IEMs underneath my Bose's when I fly. The Bose's isolate the low frequency airplane noise like no other headphone while the Etymotics isolate the higher frequency noise. Combined, I get twice the noise isolation and the outstanding audio reproduction of the Etymotics.

Since the Etys come in a small soft pouch, they fit right inside my Bose carry case (along with my Sansa Clip, iPod Touch, and spare AAA battery). This is an outstanding travel setup!

Thanks. FYI...the QC15s have kicked it up a notch on noise cancelling from even the QC2s....and the bass isn't so strong either, so I find the QC15s a bit more balanced.

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #216 of 4,373
Quote:
We all hear differently. I like the Amperiors actually. Just heard that Sennheiser discontinued them. The end of a legend as they replaced the HD25-II. I might add them to this comparison if I can snag one cheap. That said, expect some of these headphones to go up for sale as I can't justify owning 5 portable headphones.
I find the Momentums superior too...but not night and day better. Being on-ears, I think the Amperiors need a lot of fiddling to get them to sit just right. 
Thanks. FYI...the QC15s have kicked it up a notch on noise cancelling from even the QC2s....and the bass isn't so strong either, so I find the QC15s a bit more balanced.

Yes, I believe the QC-15 uses 2 microphones instead of one in the QC-2. Same technology Bose uses for the A20 aviation headset, which I also own. Best ANR on the market.

Im glad Bose toned the bass down with the QC-15. The QC-2 is a thick muddy mess.

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #217 of 4,373
Quote:

Yes, I believe the QC-15 uses 2 microphones instead of one in the QC-2. Same technology Bose uses for the A20 aviation headset, which I also own. Best ANR on the market.

Im glad Bose toned the bass down with the QC-15. The QC-2 is a thick muddy mess.

Agreed. 
size]

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #219 of 4,373
Great review and great follow up posts.  I have always looked longly at the Sennheiser Momentums, however I was going to ask if you had given a thought to the V-Moda line.  My son really loves his, while I lean more toward the IEM lines for portability (it is not very cool for fathers to be walking around with large headphones, heck fathers aren't very cool at all once your kids get to be teens, no matter what you do).

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #220 of 4,373
Great thread guys! Decided on the qc15 in the end, I mainly listen to podcasts on my daily commute on the London tube! And thought the noise cancellation would be the most important aspect to consider.

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #222 of 4,373
Quote:
Great review and great follow up posts.  I have always looked longly at the Sennheiser Momentums, however I was going to ask if you had given a thought to the V-Moda line.  My son really loves his, while I lean more toward the IEM lines for portability (it is not very cool for fathers to be walking around with large headphones, heck fathers aren't very cool at all once your kids get to be teens, no matter what you do).

Haven't had a chance...but I did notice that the Microsoft Store does carry them. Might add them to the mix down the road. 
size]

Quote:
Great thread guys! Decided on the qc15 in the end, I mainly listen to podcasts on my daily commute on the London tube! And thought the noise cancellation would be the most important aspect to consider.

For noise cancelation during travel (planes, trains, etc...) there is no better portable headphone I've used yet. And they sound pretty good too.
Quote:
Are the sennheiser momentums a good headphone for frequent flyers (do they cancel external noise well)? I don't want to spend £300 on the QC15's...

thanks

The Momentums are pretty good for flights and blocking out noise. And as a bonus, they sound better. But the QC15s will make the plane disappear around you. That is pricey....here in Canada they go for $329 Cdn.

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #225 of 4,373
Quote:
The Momentums are pretty good for flights and blocking out noise. And as a bonus, they sound better. But the QC15s will make the plane disappear around you. That is pricey....here in Canada they go for $329 Cdn.

I have to say I prefer the HD25-1 ii's and the DT1350's to the Momentum's. Grabned, no eyeglasses issue to distract from the sonic signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back