Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
May 9, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #2,146 of 4,373
Glad you're still liking the SRH1540! 
I have admit I struggled with them at first and was EQing them, but as I have listened to them my brain started to get used to the signature and now I enjoy them more.

May 9, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #2,147 of 4,373

You are a master of hyperbole :) 

Can't help myself...I'm Canadian. 
tongue.gif

Nice write-up once again MC! The 545's sound very nice. If I could justify having them, they'd be nice to have. Then again, since when have I needed any justification lol!

Btw, I now also have some DT1350's in my possession (since yesterday). Initial impressions are that they sound stunning (even without burn in). I was a bit worried due to what you said here in your T51P review:

It's strange because so far I am feeling exactly the opposite of what you said above regarding the two! I think that the T51P's (with 60 hours of burn in) do sound really great, but occasionally I hear a bit of congestion/boominess due to the larger mid-bass, and sometimes they sound just a touch less transparent to me as well (relative say to the mikros 90's or the dt1350's), and I find myself thinking about that at times. But with DT1350's, I am more or less just listening with slack jawed amazement at how good they sound. So go figure!

Comfort-wise there is no competition - the T51P's are amazingly comfy, and as an overall package they are very good. I will have to work on the DT1350's comfort a bit to see if I'll be okay with them. 

Anyway, that's where I am at right now. I'm going to now let the DT1350's get 50 hours of burn in before I do some serious comparisons. And then I have some decisions to make!

Here's my biggest issue with the DT1350s...they're such a moving target. I've heard 5 headphones (3 of them back-to-back-to-back) and they all pretty much sounded like different headphones. Many have also reported this...so with such a moving target, I'm not sure what to fully make of a DT1350 vs.....any other headphone. That said, I did hear 3 T51ps next to each other and thankfully they all sounded the same. Throw in the torture devices that are the DT1350s, I can't really recommend them.
Great write up on K545 MH. While I personally rank them higher than several of the headphones on your list I completely understand your reasoning for where you placed them on the list. For me they are a great fit sonically speaking as well as physically but that will not be the case for every one. I also like their price point compared to the others.

I am currently using a pair of SRH1540 as well as the K545 and Momentum On Ear. I would say the 1540 has become my favorite sonically as it has a much larger and 3 dimensional sound stage than the K545 followed by the MOE as well as more detail, comfort, and isolation. But it is also a $600 HP and while I use it portably is not truly a portable. The K545 has a bit more traditional sound stage which works extremely well for many genres though and I feel it has a bit more edge at times in the upper mids while never over cooking the treble making it distracting. The MOE on the other hand offer a fun sound that's weighty in the lower mids but is a bit rolled off in the treble.

Thanks again for the loaner. I hold them in high regard as well.

May 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #2,148 of 4,373
My T51p's are sounding sweeter and sweeter. I am really enjoying them thus far. I still prefer my HP50's but the Beyers are getting better.

May 10, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #2,150 of 4,373
  I got the hp50 recently and I concur with reviews here, it's a amazing headphone to own

Now I need an in ear which can sound like hp50, any recommendations pls

It might be better to receive pm's on this...this thread will blow up

May 10, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #2,153 of 4,373
I listen to a lot of instrumental/acoustic music like jazz and classical and out of bass, mids and highs value good mids the most by far. 

How are the T51s mids? I've read some reviews that they're a bit recessed.

I've got the K545s and the Mikros 90s now. I prefer the Mikros 90s but wish for a little more bass and comfort. The k545s just don't do it for me in the mids. 

How would you compare these three headphones for jazz and classical. I especially listen to a lot of acoustic guitar.

May 10, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #2,154 of 4,373
Also, it would be great if you could test the thinksound on1s. 

They sound really, really good - probably better than any of the headphones I've tried. Build quality and a bit of bite (because wood?) are their only undoing.

May 10, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #2,155 of 4,373
  Sitting down with my T51p/A200p combination through my iPad Air and I gotta say, this is one heck of a portable rig! 
L3000.gif

Cool! I wonder if that A200p is the cat's meow of synergy for the T51P's? Most of the portable headphones I have (or have had) work wonders with the C3/BH combo, but I'm not so sure that the T51P's work best with the combo (whereas the DT1350's don't mind it one bit). Anyway, that A200p is rather intriguing! How does it work with your other headphones?

May 10, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #2,156 of 4,373

Cool! I wonder if that A200p is the cat's meow of synergy for the T51P's? Most of the portable headphones I have (or have had) work wonders with the C3/BH combo, but I'm not so sure that the T51P's work best with the combo (whereas the DT1350's don't mind it one bit). Anyway, that A200p is rather intriguing! How does it work with your other headphones?

They certainly go very well together. The A200p sounds great with pretty much all of the portable closed headphones I've plugged into it...plus the LCD-X and LCD-XC. Throw in its very small size, it's a winner in my books.

May 10, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #2,157 of 4,373
Also, it would be great if you could test the thinksound on1s. 

They sound really, really good - probably better than any of the headphones I've tried. Build quality and a bit of bite (because wood?) are their only undoing.

Yep, as much as I love the t51p's, SQ-wise, I would still give it to the on1's. I would even say my HF300 edges the t51p's SQ-wise as well. But form factor, portability, the t51p's are king.

May 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #2,158 of 4,373
Yep, as much as I love the t51p's, SQ-wise, I would still give it to the on1's. I would even say my HF300 edges the t51p's SQ-wise as well. But form factor, portability, the t51p's are king.

Form factor and friggin' comfort. Damn them lol! 

May 11, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #2,159 of 4,373
Sonically, my HP50's best my T51p's. Overall the form factor, portability, comfort there is no reason to not own the T51p's. I am really happy with my purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back