Comparison: VC1000 vs TDK IE800 vs GR01 vs RE400 vs BA200 vs R50
Jul 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dark energy

Formerly known as hendric0
I am interested in getting VC1000 or GR01 (or something similar) and would like some feedback on these models.

I own RE400, have auditioned IE800 for a long period, which i like very much. I have also auditioned BA200. Great smooth sound.

[Preferred sound signature: neutral, detailed, good high freq extension]

All other comparison/recommendations in the <200 usd range are welcome.

Jul 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 15
The VC1000 is a little cooler (in tone) than the GR01 IMO. I am waiting to get my R-50 back from a loan so I can compare those two and get a better picture of where the VC1000 falls. So far I have only compared it to the Astrotec AX7 TWFK and it's not as bright as those (which is a good thing).

Oh and I really don't think you will find the GR01 overly warm - they are warmer than other TWFKs, but that's not saying a whole lot.

My preliminary thought is that the GR01 isn't really worth the $$$ over the VC1000, but I'm still not set on that.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 15
From memory, TDK IE800 had more raw detail. BA200 on the other hand had the best sounding, butter smooth bass(imo perfect sounding for bass leads), great mids as IE800 but maybe more analog'ish sounding. What strikes me with IE800 is brilliant instrumental separation and uber detail in higher mids and high freq.

I am leaning towards IE800 since these are cheap as hell atm and i would say they are at least BA200 level IEMS. (BA200 is abit more neutral sounding un EQ'ed though)

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 15
I've never heard the rest but I love love love my GR01. Neutral, detailed and extended up top, they are for sure. They are also very easy to drive, and will be powered perfectly fine from just an ipod or smartphone. They sounded good from my old iPhone 4, and sound great with my Galaxy S4 as well. My only complaint with them is that they don't have replaceable cables. The build quality is good, but I just wish the cables were replaceable because eventually the cable may fail. At $200 I think an IEM should have this feature. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 15
The R50 is tuned very much like the GR01, so I don't think it has any better extension than the GR01. It is cheaper than the GR01 though. The GR01 has the better build quality, better included tip selection, and a right angle headphone jack(which was important to me). 
Quote:
No R50 on that list? I bet the R-50 has better upper extension than all of the others in your list.

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #10 of 15
ahhh the right angle plug. I don't notice it being absent  that much on my r50 but on my Philips she I really notice not having it! those Philips can't keep a signal in my pocket when i'm running without an extension cable that has an L plug.

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #11 of 15
Great value. According to clieos review, they are on the same level overall. GR01 has better midbass, but slightly smoothed out highs.

2. Rock It Sound R-50 (link)
A midpoint between B2 and GR01. B2 is leaner on bass, fairly neutral while bright and sparkly. GR01 focuses more on a warmer and well textured bass and mid, but with a smoothed out treble. R-50 on the other hand has the same kind of brightness as B2, with a sense of warmth like GR01 in the bottom ends, granted it isn’t quite as well textured in comparison. Treble is well extended, crisp and sparkly. Mid is well textured and slightly upfront. Bass is well extended as well, with a good sense of body. However, R-50 is closer to ‘B2 with a warmer, better bodied bass’ rather than ‘GR01 with a sparkly high’. As far as overall sound quality goes, it is right about the same level as GR01. Even though it does offer better treble extension and a more upfront presentation than GR01, it doesn’t have the same textured and hard hitting bass to lower mid. This makes it more analytical sounding than warm+sweet sounding, but it is still a very good compromise between the two. Soundstage is quite good. The warmer tone adds back the layers missing in B2 while still retains the same excellent separation.
Pro: Price. Dual driver with a top-tier sound.
Con: Warranty terms.

R-50 is starting to look like a very good deal(sound wise), i did notice quite a lot of build quality issues with it. That could be a deal breaker for me. ( a friend of mine has spent ~500 usd on IEMs in 2 years and they have broken down. RE262 speaker jammed, AT CK10 cabel came off, in a bad way that you couldn't solder it together. Build quality is a must for me)

There has also been reported some channel mismatch, so that you hear instruments shifted slightly left/right.

(R-50 added)

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #12 of 15
According to H20FIdelity they are releasing R-50 revised model soon with improved build quality.

Impression on VC1000 from the same user. (other user(s) as well, it looks like overall, considering BQ & SQ VC1000>R-50. Same price point.)

Don't get me wrong. R-50 still seems to be like a brilliant IEM for the money with its wide imaging and detail. Close call really.

''It works out to be $115 AUS with our current exchange rate ( + $5 shipping ) (same seller)

I had a listen for you last night regarding the R-50 & VC1000.

The VC1000 are indeed thicker in the mid range they won't sound so delicately thin like R-50 they're also warmer, so not as bright as R-50, they hold similar detailing levels possibly more on the VC, also they're especially decent when decay is concerned around the mid range, VC1000 has much more natural timbre to boot which will fit with a larger majority of genre's. There's a little more bass in the VC1000, not huge amounts but noticeably filling out the low end which will suit EDM and the likes a lot more, so I guess you can say VC is the funner choice.

The treble is similar due to the Knowles BA but again VC1000 sounds thicker upstairs. One thing R-50 has VC1000 completely beaten is soundstage, you won't have the same width as the R-50, it's quite noticeably smaller but still fine for everything to work within the stage it has. It's a rather enjoyable IEM, I think if your R-50 are Kaput these would make a nice alternative. Btw: I found the L /R markings on the strain reliefs, they're tiny! Luckily Vsonic was thinking ahead putting a little lip / dot for you to feel on the right side which makes sorting them a breeze. I'm actually thinking of selling my R-50 and grabbing a pair of these because I think I prefer them.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 4/26/13 at 5:37pm''

I hope this topic helps some people make their decision on some of these iems. It looks like i am getting VC1000 or TDK IE800's or both :) I would also look out for the revised R-50.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #13 of 15
I only have the R-50 of these but I'd say that either you need to be very careful with the music you play through them or you need to get other tips than the stock ones. Or the sibilance will cut through your brain if the singer has very pronounced "S". I do however have Re0 and GR07. None of them are as sibilant as the R-50 (to my ears). The R-50 do make warmer tilted iems sound really warm and coming from a warmer iem makes the R-50 sound a bit thin and splashy. But except for the sibilance, to me, that's like a splash of cold water. The bass is a bit tighter than GR07 and I think it's well textured it's just that it lacks that "organic, living" feeling the GR07 conveys. And I did it. I managed to start talking about GR07 instead. However, the R-50 are terrific, but either get tips that absorb a bit of upper mid/lower treble, EQ them or only feed them high quality songs without any hints of sibilance.

TLDR; R-50 can be sibilant. CAVE tips and songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back