Comparison: Sony MDR-7506 and Sennheiser HD497
May 10, 2002 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

phidauex

Sees your every move. Eats your potatoes.
THE SONY MDR-7506 (V6) and the SENNHEISER HD497!!!

Wait.. those aren't world class headphones... But.. they are going to battle it out! When? This afternoon! My MDR-7506s are waiting for me at the post office. I just need to get out of this crazy workplace, and go get them, and listen to them, and EVALUATE them.
smily_headphones1.gif
They are used, and are already burned in (are they already burned in, Jude?). Anyway, I'm just excited (new phones always make me excited!). I'll post the real review this evening sometime.

Peace,
phidauex

May 10, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 12
These are two reasonably low cost headphones that I own, and I will now compare them for your reading pleasure! The Sony MDR-7506 is the 'Pro' version of the V6. Which means it has fancier stickers and a gold plug. For the purposes of this review, consider them functionally identical to the Sony V6.

--INTRO--

The Sony MDR-7506 is a closed circumaural/supraaural phone. The one I have has had its pleather pads replaced with the pads for the Beyerdynamic DT250. They are soft and velour. They make the headphones quite comfy! They are a tad heavy, but they grip nicely, and are very adjustable. The cord is 3m long, and coiled up. It comes with a mini jack, and a mini/1/4" adapter, for your adapting pleasure. Visually, they are pretty minimalist. They don't look very fancy or wild. But they are meant to be 'studio headphones' so looks weren't their priority. However, wearing them cultivates an image that you are a pro, so there is a bit of style there.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not sure what its list price is, but they are found around $100.00, and its brother the V6 can be had as cheap as 60$. I bought these for $80, including the beyer pads and shipping from a head-fier.

The Sennheiser HD497 is a supraaural open headphone. It has pleather pads, and a padded headstrap. It has wires going to each ear, instead of coming from only one side like the Sony. The cables are removeable and replaceable, should you feel the need to upgrade, or if the cat eats the original cable. It is terminated with a nickle plated mini, and comes with a mini/1/4" adapter, once again, for your adapting pleasure. They are silver, and have a strange appearance. The two cups are sort of held against your head by a large silver U that presses them toward you. Its odd, but stylish in its own way. The 497s list at $69.99, but I got them for $59 from headroom.com.

--COMFORT--

The Sony's are more comfortable. I'm not sure how they would compare if I wasn't using the nice softy fluffy Beyer pads. The Senns have a bit of a deathgrip squeeze, though its not so bad now that I've had them for a while. The pleather pads on the Senn make my ears a bit sweaty, also. The size of the Senns means they sort of press against my glasses, which is a bit uncomfortable. Anyway, the Sony's w/ beyer pads are more comfy.

The Sennheisers look cheaply built. They are pretty sturdy, honestly, but they don't look it. They feel pretty flimsy. The Sony has metal parts, with screws, and brackets and whatnot. Also, you can flip the earcups around for DJ and monitoring applications. Also, the Sony's fold up, which is nice.

--SOUND-- The good stuff!

As my source, I'm using my computer and my SlimX mp3/cd player. I know they aren't the greatest sources, but thats where these phones are going to be used by me, and by many others who are considering these headphones. My amp is a home built Cmoy, powered by a 9V battery, with integral crossfeed. Crossfeed is bypassed for this review, unless I specifically mention turning it on. I've also done some listening through my NAD 7020, listening to some vinyl through a grado green cartridge, and the integrated phono preamp and headphone amp on the NAD 7020. Both of them are pretty worthy, as far as integrateds go.

To a certain degree, I'm comparing apples and oranges, since once phone is open, and the other is closed. However, since they are in a similar price bracket, I'll compare them anyway.
wink.gif

The Sony's are very 'in your face'. This is probably due in part to the closed aspect. The soundstage is much more narrow than the Sennheisers. The Sony highs are brighter, and the bass is bumpin'er. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, keep in mind. The Sony's have very good bass extension. Their slam and bass really conveys the hip-hop flavor when I listen to some saul williams or amon tobin. I suppose some people might call them analytical, but I find them less detailed than my HD590s, so I don't really feel that 'analytical' is a proper description. They are quite clear though.

Back to the Senns. Wham, the doors open, we aren't in a little room, we are in a big hall. Saul Williams steps back 10 feet. The soundstage is much wider with these open phones. The midrange seems to be a little better on the Senns. The highs are less bright, and the bass is less prominent. It still has pretty low extension, its just not very forward bass. It certainly doesn't have the SLAM of the Sony. This headphone seems much more balanced than the Sony.

Back to the Sony. Vocals are detailed, but not as 'real' as on the Senns. On some jazz, the Sony's seem to sound a tad unbalanced. The lack of soundstage isn't very cool. But, crossfeed helps.

Back to the Senn. They are more 'revealing' of issues with the recording. Hiss and scratches come out more. But on the same token, nuances of the sound also come floating out better.

On the vinyl system, the Sennheiser definately shows its sonic qualities. Everything sounds much more real. More dynamic. Its superiour for things that desire a balanced sound, like classical and jazz. It sounds good with everything, but some things make use of the balanced tone a little better.

Wrap it up, yo!

I'm getting rid of one of these headphones! I'll be keeping the Sony MDR-7506s. I need their closedness for portable use (the 497s were way to loud on the bus, and let in too much bus-noise.) Usually when i'm out and about, i'm listening to things with a little more bump and snap, so the strong bass and bright highs are nice to have. Also, comfort is nice!

However, don't take this as meaning I think the 497s are bad phones! I like them very much, but I don't need them, as I have the HD590s serving the purpose of 'Nice Open Phone'. The 497s aren't great for my portable use, and at home, they don't compare to the 590s, so they are redundant. But thats OK. I'll be giving them to a musician friend of mine, he'll put them to good use!

Peace,
Phidauex

P.S. Jude, that ferrite bead, it does WONDERS for the sound! Just kidding, I can't hear any difference with it on or off.
wink.gif
But its a neat little toy to play with.

May 11, 2002 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by phidauex
....Jude, that ferrite bead, it does WONDERS for the sound! Just kidding, I can't hear any difference with it on or off.
wink.gif
But its a neat little toy to play with.

phidauex,

No difference?! You've foiled my plans to become a billionaire by stealing more of those tiny ferrites from old PCMCIA ethernet card dongles everywhere!

Okay, I guess I'm not surprised about the ferrite. But I've now scrapped my plans for Ferrite-Fi.
wink.gif

Nice review, man.

May 11, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 12
Nice review, Phid!
smily_headphones1.gif
The 590s and the V6 complement each other well; your decision makes sense!

May 11, 2002 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 12
Good review Phidauex
smily_headphones1.gif

I must admit after reading about ferrite rings that I had to try one on my headphone cable... not the slightest bit of difference, oh well
rolleyes.gif

I'm having a real love/hate relationship between the V6 and the HD580...

Bearing in mind that this is running out of my JMT (so that could well play a part) the HD580 treble far exceeds that of the V6... not necesarily in terms of frequency, but in terms of just general lift... whilst that is good with some kinds of music (hence my thread saying that I had refound my HD580s) and very much against general opinion, I think the HD580s blow for classical (Gladiator soundtrack)... they are just TOO bright, TOO fatuiging for my ears...

There is no doubt at all that the Sennheiser soundstage blows the V6 out of the water, but I can forego soundstage for listening longevity, to me the Sonys just sound plain better... and if I need a soundstage fix, I've got my MDR-F1s

It must be my british ears playing tricks on me or something, who knows... and we're not talking about excessive volumes either, on the quiet passages of the Gladiator soundtrack I could still hear cars driving by my house even wearing the (standard, pleather padded) V6!!

Strange huh?

May 12, 2002 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 12
an addendum to my last post...

I honestly cannot complain about the V6 midrange, It is on a level par, if not slightly richer than that of the HD580 imo... and Yes, the V6 were scarily bright compared to the Senns the first time that I ran them side by side some five weeks ago!

Now, whether these two outrageous claims are because i've listened to this pair of V6 at way above the volume that most people burn their phones in, and consequently, burnt in at another, louder level still... so maybe just loosened the PET drivers that little bit more, who knows... but, the proof is in my claim... You can discredit at your leisure... until you hear it
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 12
As far as ease of drive, they are both driven quite effectively by a portable player. The Sony is 62 ohms, and the Sennheiser is 32 ohms. However, the Sony seems to have a slightly higher sensitivity. Basically, what it boils down to is that they maintain about the same level at the same volume setting. When I pull one out, and plug in the other, the volume seems about the same.

Their performance improves when an amp is used, but for portable use, an amp isn't necessary for volume reasons, only sound quality reasons.

peace,
phidauex

May 12, 2002 at 6:34 PM Post #10 of 12
Well, I don't have the 580s, but I do have the 590s. I find the 590s to be overall superior to the V6s when portability isn't an issue. The V6 has a good midrange, but the 590s is a bit better. The V6's highs are where I think they fail to the 590s the most. The V6 is bright, and fairly detailed, but not to the degree of the 590s. With the 590s, the air and ambience created by high frequencies in music really shines. The V6 doesn't sound quite so musical. I can hear everything, but I don't feel like I'm really there with the musicians.

However, that said, I could see how one might prefer the V6. I really love soundstage, which the 590 has a lot of, and the V6 lacks. Crossfeed helps, but when I have a listening choice I choose the wider stage. If the soundstage wasn't as big of a deal to you, then the V6 would be a serious contender.

If you prefer the v6 to the 580, so be it. You might try some different amps or sources, to see if there is something that makes the 580 'shine' a little better, but for now, listen to the headphones that make you the happiest, which is afterall, why we are here.

Peace,
phidauex

Feb 27, 2003 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 12
I am looking into buying my first pair of headphones. I don't want to spend too much money and I am trying to decide between the Sony V6 or the Sennheiser HD497 right now. I primarily want good positioning for games like counter-strike. But i also want to be able to listening to and enjoy music. Would either of these be my best bet for gaming in the 80 dollars or less range?
Thanks

Feb 27, 2003 at 6:07 AM Post #12 of 12
i agree with about everything you said; but I didn't have the chance to make a direct comparative.

The only point I would disagree is when you said that the senn show more of the recording's problems. Out of a poor source (laptop and mp3), the V6 are more revealing than the HD497 for me. The artifacts due to bad mp3 are clearer.

In fact, your conclusion is awfully similar to mine : the HD497 are nice but... you just want more after a time (unless you've left the board at time). The V6s have enough other points to make us keep it.

Duncan : I found the V6 absolutly disgusting with classical music or alike. It's nice with rock but for the rest, I'm really reserved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back