COMPARISON / REVIEW: A tale of two flagships (part deux) – Beyerdynamic T1 vs AKG K812
Dec 11, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #61 of 97

Probably the K812 is just not as consistent as other cans, which may explain few of the tantrums being thrown to the K812. It is also worth noted that there has been several cases where a channel of the K812 dies after some time, which is also a concern. That is actually why I bought a demo-unit of the K812, if it had managed to survive for more than 6 months I guess it would survive for longer. Plus it is much cheaper than a BNIB 
biggrin.gif

That is true. Sounds like it does have consistency issues. Partly likely due to it's newer. From what I gather the T1 also had some consistency issues at first. I believe the HD 800 did as well, most of the complaints about the HD 800 being harsh and bright come from the past. All I can say the K812 I listened to sounded amazing, I do want to get a pair, but maybe it's smart waiting it out and letting any manufacturing kinks iron themselves out. Maybe my friend simply got lucky with her pair. True. Nothing wrong with used, especially if you manage to get a warranty with it and is known to have some reliability issues. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #62 of 97
Thanks for a primer on two headphones that became available after I froze the audition list for a replacement headphone for my Asus® CM1630-06 as upgraded with XONAR® audio; the auditions had to be delayed several times due to schedule conflicts that prevented visits to Head-Fi™ meets for the purpose (see also "Recommendable headphones and/or headsets for Asus XONAR Essence Series?").  The T1 is a valid candidate for purposes of the audition.

Dec 11, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #63 of 97

Thanks for the thoughts on the LCDs - I think I'll have to listen to them at some stage, but I guess that was what I was expecting though.

AFAIK the LD MKIV is around 40-50 ohms on the output impedance.  It is a true OTL - so ideally suited for the T1. It's probably not ideal for the lower impedance K812 though - although when I tried the AKG on both my NFB-12 (very low OI) and compared to the LD, there really wasn't that much of a sonic difference.

And I didn't do impedance matching on the amps - because if I want to run the two headphones through the same gear for a side-by-side match, there is no amp that will supply  a correct damping factor (according to your theory of T1 needing 100 ohm+).

I find your theory of needing at least 100 ohms OI for the T1 intriguing.  I understand the theory behind a too low damping ratio - but not so much too high.  As long as the headphone is getting enough voltage and current it shoudl be fine.  LD MKIV delivers both to the T1.  I've never felt that it has been bass light or thin on my system.

The difference in bass frequencies SPL / volume of Beyerdynamic T1 on an amp with low output impedance and on an amp with high output impedance, in this case 100 Ohm, is an increase of about 3 dB, that's what I hear and you would hear it too. To gain 3 dB in sound pressure level means that the voltage has to increase by 50%. It would be good to know and to compare the peak voltage output of LD Mk IV and of Beyerdynamic A2 amp. If LD Mk IV has about 40 to 50 Ohm output impedance, which I doubt as I think it is lower, then the bass improvement of T1 on an amplifier with 100 Ohm output impedance would be marginal. T1 is made for amplifiers with high output impedance, optimally 100 Ohm.
To decrease the weight / inertial mass of the moving voice coil assembly of T1's driver, in order for this assembly to move more efficiently and precisely, the voice coil wire was made thinner. This in consequence requires the electric current to be weaker so as not to overheat and burn the wire. The smaller current [Amperes] in consequence requires bigger voltage [Volts] in order not to lose power [Watts] required to move the voice coil and the diaphragm. High output resistance [impedance] of an amplifier ensures that the current going to T1 is of right strength and this in consequence ensures the correct voltage going to T1. This correct voltage ensures the correct frequency response of T1.

Dec 11, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #64 of 97
Well according to the info TD just supplied - the output impedance of the LD could be as high as 600 ohm.

I'll see if I can find out more ..... 

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #65 of 97
  Well according to the info TD just supplied - the output impedance of the LD could be as high as 600 ohm.

I'll see if I can find out more ..... 

That would be the output impedance of the pre-amplifier section within LD Mk IV amp. If the amp as a total unit [the amplifier out] were to have 600 Ohm output impedance then the low impedance headphones plugged into this amp would sound pretty awful. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #66 of 97
They didn't though - that's why I need to delve deeper into this

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #67 of 97

I've just went there last Wednesday, trying to lure a friend of mine to buy an HE-500. They have the LCD-X, LCD-XC and LCD-3 for demo there, but if I remember it correctly no LCD-2.

Though I'm not sure I would want to trade the K812 for an LCD-2 now, as when I tried the Audeze range again there in Computer Lounge I felt certain I would not be able to wear them for a long period of time.. They are just too heavy for me.

There's a gentleman on here that sells comfort straps that you can throw on any Audeze. Should help you out with the weight. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #69 of 97
my next catch.....this betttttter be gooooooood, else i dun wanna see an akg ever againnn !!!! :p

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #70 of 97
Are you going to get a pair John?  I loved them - still tempted. But wallet staying closed for now.  T1 does everything I want for the moment, and I just blew the budget on a pair of U6 on the Adel kickstarter .......

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #71 of 97
 saved up some monies for a dac upgrade, but i have been sidetracked once again...sighh.
there will be a cleansing in my armoury soon...some cans will be tossed into the furnace.

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #72 of 97
Ooooh - decisions ...... what headphone gets sacrificed on the altar of upgrades ???

Seriously though - the K812 is the best sounding AKG I've tried to date.  Despite the high price tag, I'm still tempted ......

Dec 17, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #73 of 97
A few Open cans will hv to go...save the LCD2.
Closed cans are untouchables..:)

Is it time for u to upgrade your tube amp...
I have a wooden stool like yours..
To stack the gears

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #74 of 97
Nah - love the LD MKIV.  It still does everything I want.  And why replace it if I still enjoy it 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back