Comparison / Review: A tale of two flagships – T1 vs HD800
Nov 18, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #46 of 80
I think that is a pretty subjective question. To someone who prefers the T1, it won't matter what you spend. And to someone who prefers the HD800, it could be very little.

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #47 of 80
Great, insightful and reliable review. Thks Brooko. It reminds me my own feelings : http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-tesla-t1/reviews/11551.  the Treble peak of the T1 is problematic to my ears.

For the HD800 , no need to sale an arm or a kidney to buy upstream gear.  Modi/Vali does an amazing job.  But every upgrade of the upstream gear will be rewarded :wink:.  I first thought the best way to go si to tame treble and add warmth to the vanilla HD800.  I don't think so anymore. What HD800 needs is only to be feeded with quality and that could be found at many different prices.

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #48 of 80

Was it the GS-X that made you preferred the HD800? I would be interested to know how you think the K812 compares to the HD800.

When I got the WA22, the HD800s pulled out ahead and they stayed there through my Liquid Fire and finally with the GS-X Mk2. I would like to hear the K812...but I haven't yet.

FWIW, my sources went from the DacMagic - PS Audio DLIII - Cary XCiter DAC - W4S DAC-2 - BDA-2 - Metrum Hex. It was about the XCiter DAC that I found the same thing (with the HD800's pulling ahead).

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #49 of 80
I think that is a pretty subjective question. To someone who prefers the T1, it won't matter what you spend. And to someone who prefers the HD800, it could be very little.

Sure, I was just thinking of the comments about the HD800 "pulling away" and possibly putting clear daylight between it and the T1 (for those that like both).

Nov 20, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #50 of 80
I wonder why do they not feature this on the front page. Almost, if not all of your other reviews were featured on the front page.

Nov 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #51 of 80
Guess they have a lot of other content at this time of the year.  No biggie.  the enjoyment is in the writing, and comparing notes with others later.  Some of the input so far has been really good (eg Peter's comments re scaling).

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #52 of 80
I wonder why do they not feature this on the front page. Almost, if not all of your other reviews were featured on the front page.

I'm sure they will but sometimes things get missed. I wouldn't bworry about it.

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #53 of 80
There are great deals for the HD800 happening for the past few days (35% off). So I decided to get one for myself. Thanks to reviews and comparisons like these. Appreciate the time and you spend on this and your reviews are always very nice to read about. Cheers.

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #54 of 80
  There are great deals for the HD800 happening for the past few days (35% off). So I decided to get one for myself. Thanks to reviews and comparisons like these. Appreciate the time and you spend on this and your reviews are always very nice to read about. Cheers.

Grats, mate! And from memory, the Lyr (1st gen) makes for a pretty good pairing with the HD800, so I would imagine the Lyr 2 would be even better.

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #55 of 80
Thanks 62ohm. I will surely enjoy it. Cheers.

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #56 of 80
This was very interesting to read! I have a very similar combo with the Beyerdynamic t90 and hd650. Did Audeze Ever come into play or consideration when you were looking for cans?

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #57 of 80
  This was very interesting to read! I have a very similar combo with the Beyerdynamic t90 and hd650. Did Audeze Ever come into play or consideration when you were looking for cans?

I'd still like to hear the LCD 2 at some stage.  What put me off them for a start was that I was told that Mr Speakers Mad Dogs had a similar presentation / tonality (ie a little on the dark side).  I'm not good with darker phones - found the MD's pretty boring actually.  That's why I've mainly gravitated towards a neutral to bright presentation.  HD600/HD650 is about as warm as I'd like to go.

If you look at my progression over the years (haven't included everything though), you'll see what I mean ......

Start -> MS1, SRH840, DT880, SR325, AKG701, HD600, SRH1840, AKG612, RS1, HD700, T1 <- End

There were a lot of detours along the way (not mentioned), and a lot of dabbling in IEMs as well (which I use a lot - current favourite is the Fidue A83).  I've also had some headphones multiple times (HD600 and DT880), and played with most of the AKG K/Q7xx lineup.

Thanks to my friend Rizki, I get to try the AKG812 shortly, and will be comparing that to the T1 (in about a month).  Quite looking forward to that match up.

But to your original question - haven't tried any of the Audeze cans - but definitely looking forward to doing so at some stage.  Hifiman probably on my radar at some stage as well (HE6, HE560 maybe).

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #58 of 80
I'd still like to hear the LCD 2 at some stage.  What put me off them for a start was that I was told that Mr Speakers Mad Dogs had a similar presentation / tonality (ie a little on the dark side).  I'm not good with darker phones - found the MD's pretty boring actually.  That's why I've mainly gravitated towards a neutral to bright presentation.  HD600/HD650 is about as warm as I'd like to go.

If you look at my progression over the years (haven't included everything though), you'll see what I mean ......

Start -> MS1, SRH840, DT880, SR325, AKG701, HD600, SRH1840, AKG612, RS1, HD700, T1 <- End

There were a lot of detours along the way (not mentioned), and a lot of dabbling in IEMs as well (which I use a lot - current favourite is the Fidue A83).  I've also had some headphones multiple times (HD600 and DT880), and played with most of the AKG K/Q7xx lineup.

Thanks to my friend Rizki, I get to try the AKG812 shortly, and will be comparing that to the T1 (in about a month).  Quite looking forward to that match up.

But to your original question - haven't tried any of the Audeze cans - but definitely looking forward to doing so at some stage.  Hifiman probably on my radar at some stage as well (HE6, HE560 maybe).

do you plan on writing up the K812 vs T1 comparison? I would be especially interested in that if able to.

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #59 of 80
do you plan on writing up the K812 vs T1 comparison? I would be especially interested in that if able to.

Yep - as long as the is interest, I'd post a review / comparison.

Nov 22, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #60 of 80
colour me interested
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back